Strength training at home

Options
How does one do this? Do I need to invest in a bunch of weights?
I need to build muscle while losing weight!
( Female 5ft3 currently 145 lbs)
Ive always been a cardio bunny in the past.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit you won't build much muscle at all (perhaps slight newbie gains). But strength training is great to keep the lean muscle mass you already have.

Start with body weight exercise....something like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. I like videos....this one is all bodyweight: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-body-training

Fitness Blender is a really popular youtube channel for fitness.

Don't do what I did and buy weights too quick....3 pound...5 pound dumbbells are such a waste, you will grow out of them too quickly. Look into adjustable dumbbells
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you want to be really strong, you'll need to invest in weight eventually.

Body weight exercises (in some cases much less efficient, as far as training economy goes) will get you pretty far.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I mean I dont want to become an Olympic athlete,but im doughy,I have a mummy tummy,and a muffin top and back rolls. Cardio isnt going to make any of that go away!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    just need a leg press machine
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I really like the beach body workout Charlene extreme - but it's expensive if you cannot get it second hand or know someone to borrow it off. But basically start low (or with a band) and build up. No real limit to how heavy you can go. Heavy is best in terms of seeing progress and getting that nice women shape most of us want x
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home. I started with 3 lb weights, then invested in 5 lb weights and now incorporate 10 lb weights as I can. If you do it a little at a time it helps. You can also start with resistance bands, which I found online for cheap. and Yes, I am building muscle. I do the 21 day fix workouts, or in the past Jillian Michaels workouts. They incorporate weights but also use your body weight as well, which is huge. You might also look into the BBG workout by Kayla Itsines. I found her book online and it seriously kicks your trash in the best way possible. Look her up on insta!
  • KevinYoukillus
    KevinYoukillus Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use a pull up bar. It works surprisingly well. I have a very basic "Iron Gym" model that hooks onto a doorframe and uses your own weight to keep it in place while you do the various chin up grip exercises. It works good on the floor too, I can do push ups and dips on it, and overall it's my favorite piece of workout equipment. My kid hooks up a resistance band and she can do assisted pull ups, too!
  • KevinYoukillus
    KevinYoukillus Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    By the way, weights > cardio
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I mean I dont want to become an Olympic athlete,but im doughy,I have a mummy tummy,and a muffin top and back rolls. Cardio isnt going to make any of that go away!

Actually cardio will help make that go away! This summer I spent burning fat. Cardio and calorie deficit. Lost 28lbs in 2.5 months. Now I'm reverse dieting to get back to a regular amount so I can gain some muscle and I'm strength training at the gym again. Not sure how much strength training can be done at home. Body weight exercises are great, like push-ups and pull-ups as mentioned about... the only problem I have with that is I'm not strong enough to do a pull up yet! lol!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    PowerBlocks makes adjustable dumbbells in two sizes; 10 to 50 pounds and 3 to 24 pounds. The 50 pound set can be added to up to 90. Compact with enough weight to keep you busy for a long while. Might want to give them a look.
  • learningtolove
    Options

Actually cardio will help make that go away! This summer I spent burning fat. Cardio and calorie deficit. Lost 28lbs in 2.5 months. Now I'm reverse dieting to get back to a regular amount so I can gain some muscle and I'm strength training at the gym again. Not sure how much strength training can be done at home. Body weight exercises are great, like push-ups and pull-ups as mentioned about... the only problem I have with that is I'm not strong enough to do a pull up yet! lol!

Last time I went from 140-109 I was still skinny fat!
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cardio and calorie deficit for the fat. My gal "had" exactly what you describe and she's a hair shorter than you. She went from 145 to 115. Took several months, no crash diet stupidity. Life change in eating plan. She did almost all cardio. At least in the sense that she didn't lift weights per say. Body weight moves were her weights. It worked. She lost the weight and looks cut. She has more strength and feels "empowered" as she puts it.

Workout at least 45 minute routines about 5 times a week. Mix in 2 rest days. Then do other activities around it like walk, hike, bike, etc... Something fun that also burns calories.

She dropped her diet to 1,200 cals/day. 40/30/30 split. Use MFP and logged everything.

Now we do actually weights a couple of days/week. Adjustable dumb bells rock. I have 3 sets since both of us lift together and can do things in parallel. Saves a lot of time.
  • vms4evr
    Options

Actually cardio will help make that go away! This summer I spent burning fat. Cardio and calorie deficit. Lost 28lbs in 2.5 months. Now I'm reverse dieting to get back to a regular amount so I can gain some muscle and I'm strength training at the gym again.

You go girl! My gal did exactly that!. It works.

Not sure how much strength training can be done at home. Body weight exercises are great, like push-ups and pull-ups as mentioned about... the only problem I have with that is I'm not strong enough to do a pull up yet! lol!

Why yes you can Stevie. My gal could do 0 pull-ups, a couple of chin-ups. Get an "assist" just for the pull-up bar. You adjust the bands to give you as much or little help getting up. It helps with the worst part getting from the bottom the of the move. She started with it. Now does 6 unassisted, full length, pull-ups. You cna too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

That's the problem with all cardio. You lose fat+lean muscle. Dieting alone is fat+lean muscle loss too. Strength training is one of the things that helps you lose a larger % of fat (moderate deficit & lots of protein are the other helpers). All cardio was my mistake the first time I lost weight too. I was at goal with the soft, doughy look. Ugh.

Regaining lost muscle is eating at a surplus & really hard work (especially for women). Try to keep more of what you have.
  • learningtolove
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

That's the problem with all cardio. You lose fat+lean muscle. Dieting alone is fat+lean muscle loss too. Strength training is one of the things that helps you lose a larger % of fat (moderate deficit & lots of protein are the other helpers). All cardio was my mistake the first time I lost weight too. I was at goal with the soft, doughy look. Ugh.

Regaining lost muscle is eating at a surplus & really hard work (especially for women). Try to keep more of what you have.

Thank you,thats a really good way of looking at it! Really helpful :)
  • vms4evr
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

It depends on what you call "cardio". Just doing cardio in the sense fast movements that get you sweating. Say like spinning or jumping rope or running etc. Doing "cardio" when you do P90X, T25, Insanity etc.. There is a lot of body weight moves like pushups, pullups, burpees, squats and jumps and so on. While cardio they also require strength and conditioning.

That may not be squating your body weight with barbells but it isn't pure cardio either.
  • kanebrewer88
    kanebrewer88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally, i'd try and find a way to get to the gym and ask a trainer to put together a workout regime.

Not only is the advice going to excel your initial progress but I find seeing other fit people around me makes me set the bar higher and pushes my competitiveness, stops me just settling half way through a diet. Also seeing the opposite sex makes you think "damn I'd love them to check me out" and pushes you on.

I notice you have a child, some gymss actually have child care areas, mine in the UK costs around £4 an hour to use so I can drop my kid in for an hour, do a workout, then take them swimming after?

In my experience, home working out is the HARDEST way to do it, as finding the motivation is tough!!

But yeah, what previous posters have said is true, a combination of cardio and weights is GOOD. I have two rest days between runs, in those rest days I hit the gym on a two day split. So I end up doing something every day.

Also with weights, your body demands more protein, making highly protein based meals, means you fill up and your body uses most of it for muscle growth, its basically free food as it doesnt get converted to fat! :)
  • learningtolove
    Options
    Personally, i'd try and find a way to get to the gym and ask a trainer to put together a workout regime.

Not only is the advice going to excel your initial progress but I find seeing other fit people around me makes me set the bar higher and pushes my competitiveness, stops me just settling half way through a diet. Also seeing the opposite sex makes you think "damn I'd love them to check me out" and pushes you on.

I notice you have a child, some gymss actually have child care areas, mine in the UK costs around £4 an hour to use so I can drop my kid in for an hour, do a workout, then take them swimming after?

In my experience, home working out is the HARDEST way to do it, as finding the motivation is tough!!

But yeah, what previous posters have said is true, a combination of cardio and weights is GOOD. I have two rest days between runs, in those rest days I hit the gym on a two day split. So I end up doing something every day.

Also with weights, your body demands more protein, making highly protein based meals, means you fill up and your body uses most of it for muscle growth, its basically free food as it doesnt get converted to fat! :)

hehehe,Im actually gay but the motivation could go with hoping the SAME sex will notice me.
    I actually just cancelled my membership as I hadnt gone in months and need to tighten my budget up to save for my sisters wedding away next year. But there is yoga studios and a studio that does TRX classes and some other class nearby so I may look into these :)
  • kanebrewer88
    kanebrewer88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

hehehe,Im actually gay but the motivation could go with hoping the SAME sex will notice me.
    I actually just cancelled my membership as I hadnt gone in months and need to tighten my budget up to save for my sisters wedding away next year. But there is yoga studios and a studio that does TRX classes and some other class nearby so I may look into these :)

Haha, well Its common knowledge girls check eachother out more then they do us blokes so im sure that'll workout :D .. Fair one, it is difficult for lasses as there isnt much emphasis on muscle growth and its mostly on cardio, idk what to suggest other then to join the blokes in the free weights area. :)

That said, I found in the past when I wasnt going to the gym, it wasnt the right gym for me, I moved and found myself going much more regular.

Congrats on the sis's wedding free bar hopef :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    How does one do this? Do I need to invest in a bunch of weights?
    I need to build muscle while losing weight!
    ( Female 5ft3 currently 145 lbs)
    Ive always been a cardio bunny in the past.

You most likely won't make significant gains without investing in serious in-home gym equipment. If you are looking for simple strength training, body weight focused exercises are the way to go. Get an ab roller, resistance bands and an exercise ball. Maybe a stack as well for jumps and squat variations.