Macros for low carb diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I haven't given it up completely

At very low carb (ketogenic) levels, we need to take an average of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. That's the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of table salt. Many find they need to liberally salt most food, drink broth at least once a day, take salt tablets, or add salt to water.

You've lost a lot already. About 24lbs in 6 weeks? Four pounds per week? You probably can't lose much faster unless you have a very large amount of weight to lose, and you look fairly slim already. You have room to add on some calories and still lose very well.

Don't seat not being down a size yet. I bet you are shrinking. Losing in your ribs, neck and arms are still shrinking, and looking good, even if it isn't at the hips or waist. I am sure you'll be down at least one size, possibly two, by your wedding; even if you lose just a pound or two a week (which is a safe a nd healthy level to lose at).

Thank you!
    This is very helpful!

I'm 15st 3 at the moment
    I've lost in my face and legs it seems but not much anywhere else
    As my dress is bought and fits I really wanted to loose the back fat more than anything before the wedding
    I've taken up swimming (1000-2000m 2times a week) and walking 10miles 2times a week)
    Drinking 3-4 litres of water a day.

I'm finding the whole salt/sugar thing confusing. But I'll get there I guess lol

You need these. Seriously. On an ultra low carb plan you will have a diuretic effect. Have you noticed more trips to the rest room? All I did was pee when I tried an ultra low carb plan. I found olives were great for sodium, and Low sodium tomato juice as it is good on potassium. And even though it is called "low sodium" it still packs a lot of sodium. You really have to keep up on your minerals on this diet.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I put my trips to the loo down to drinking 3litres + of water a day
  • bexilashious
    Options
    I will say this much. It can be a chore to get enough calories if you do not add in enough fat. First thing you should do is make sure you know exactly what you are consuming now. What does your carb, protein and fat intake currently look like? Increase from there based on your findings. Also, for a good low carb and high protein suggestion I like cottage cheese, certain yogurts are not heavily sweetened like Siggi's. They actually have a great whole milk yogurt. I like to add a tablespoon of olive oil to a glass of tomato juice. This helps me because if I am on a low carb day and all that butter and meat isn't feeling so great on my stomach the tomato juice spiked with olive oil is just right. Eggs are great for fat and protein. But yeah, as was stated already 1000 calories is no good long term. In fact the calorie problem is one reason I don't stay on a low carb plan. I lose my appetite and have a terrible time getting even to 800 calories. Carb cycling works best for me because of that.

Yes I am struggling to go above 800 calories too
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I will say this much. It can be a chore to get enough calories if you do not add in enough fat. First thing you should do is make sure you know exactly what you are consuming now. What does your carb, protein and fat intake currently look like? Increase from there based on your findings. Also, for a good low carb and high protein suggestion I like cottage cheese, certain yogurts are not heavily sweetened like Siggi's. They actually have a great whole milk yogurt. I like to add a tablespoon of olive oil to a glass of tomato juice. This helps me because if I am on a low carb day and all that butter and meat isn't feeling so great on my stomach the tomato juice spiked with olive oil is just right. Eggs are great for fat and protein. But yeah, as was stated already 1000 calories is no good long term. In fact the calorie problem is one reason I don't stay on a low carb plan. I lose my appetite and have a terrible time getting even to 800 calories. Carb cycling works best for me because of that.

Peanut butter.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    I have some on the way!
    I cannot wait lol
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My macros are 30% carbs, 50% fat, and 20% protein. It works for me. I usually end up with right around 100 g of carbs each day.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I'm having a day that I'm having a hard time getting my fat in I like to make cheese crisps. I melt little mounds of cheddar in the oven (350 for 10ish minutes) until the edges are starting to brown. Take them out, let them cool...and they taste sort of like cheese crackers. It's a good way to get some fat and protein in!
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Peanut butter.

As great a suggestion and as delicious as it is One can only eat so much peanut butter. LOL!
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Is that a challenge? :D
    Options
    Judging by the way they go through it around here you would think so! HAHA! I secretly like to melt a little chocolate and dip little hunks of peanut butter in it once in a while.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i am beginning this as well largely to support my husband who has awful leg infections from edema that just won't go away. we need to bring the blood sugar down and get his kidneys to work overtime getting the edema out! this is so new to me. i was eating more of a "balanced diet" for a long time with good results, and before that i was a junk food junkie and bona fide sugar addict.

i've set his carb goal as 20g/day and mine at 50g/day (i'm eating a serving of fruit). because of his edema he has been told to reduce his salt. i made homemade chicken broth yesterday and added 5g "realsalt" (sodium chloride plus traces of other minerals) and 5g potassium chloride. am i on the right track so far?

also, suggested book list? i've read Atkins and now i'm about to read The Big Fat Surprise, but our library is in desperate need of NEW (no more than 2 years old) books on the subject.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Judging by the way they go through it around here you would think so! HAHA! I secretly like to melt a little chocolate and dip little hunks of peanut butter in it once in a while.

I forsee peanut butter being my downfall LOL!
    I LOVE it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Peanut butter.

As great a suggestion and as delicious as it is One can only eat so much peanut butter. LOL!

I can drink a 500 calorie peanut butter banana protein powder smoothie with no effort at all.
    Options

Peanut butter.

I can drink a 500 calorie peanut butter banana protein powder smoothie with no effort at all.

Congratulations! What does that have to do with the desire to eat peanut butter in large quantities? Pretty much nothing. That's what. I could clear a half a jar of peanut butting a day when I'm PMSing. But that doesn't mean I want to do that all the time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    i am beginning this as well largely to support my husband who has awful leg infections from edema that just won't go away. we need to bring the blood sugar down and get his kidneys to work overtime getting the edema out! this is so new to me. i was eating more of a "balanced diet" for a long time with good results, and before that i was a junk food junkie and bona fide sugar addict.

i've set his carb goal as 20g/day and mine at 50g/day (i'm eating a serving of fruit). because of his edema he has been told to reduce his salt. i made homemade chicken broth yesterday and added 5g "realsalt" (sodium chloride plus traces of other minerals) and 5g potassium chloride. am i on the right track so far?

also, suggested book list? i've read Atkins and now i'm about to read The Big Fat Surprise, but our library is in desperate need of NEW (no more than 2 years old) books on the subject.

Keto Clarity, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, Obesity Code, Protein Power, Pure White and Deadly and Taubes' books are all good LCHF reads.