Always hungry

Options
Im on track with my diet and eating way more healthy but i always find my self hungry any tips on how to supress that

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein, fats and fibre?

Are you trying to restrict too much?
  • BrandonBeardsley
    Options
    I switched to white meat fish chicken no grains but vegetables and fruits i eat three meals plus have two to three snacks usually yogart a day
  • BrandonBeardsley
    Options
    I also work swing shift so my eating times are all messed up week to week
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me drinking loads of water really helps curb things. Doesn't suit everyone I guess but it's my 'go to' snack now (if that's the right word!).
  • BrandonBeardsley
    Options
    Ok ill try that
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you really are on track and really eating healthy, you shouldn't be hungry. Your body stores and releases energy constantly, and losing weight is just tapping into those stores more consistently. You shouldn't feel it physically. Hunger is a natural instinct and shouldn't be suppressed.

So, how much (how many calories) are you eating (and is that appropriate for you - how tall and heavy are you), how are you eating (low fat, low carb, number of meals etc)?

Many of us are used to constantly eating and don't know how hunger and satiety feels like. Media and diet industry and food industry are to blame for this. You can learn to recognize your own cues. Google "the hunger scale".
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would add a little grain maybe? If not grain, maybe something with minimal carbs? Carbs can keep you fuller, even if you don't eat much of it.
  • kanebrewer88
    kanebrewer88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Can I suggest Lentil & Vegetable soup as a great dinner?

Not that shop bought shite, which is full of sugars, salt & E numbers, home made stuff.

one cup of red lentils boil in the pan, they thicken up.

boil vegetables in another pan, avoid potatoes (too much carbs/sugar), broccoli, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, make it thick!

chuck them all together and throw in a vegetable or chicken stock, let it boil, I like mine with abit of tamari soy sauce, however soy is a *kitten* when it comes to affecting your estrogren levels so dont go mad.

All in all, a bowl is no more then 140 calories, next 0 fat, around 16grams of protein (not alot but still same as two sausages) and its GUILT FREE!

You can even throw in some chicken if thats your thing, but expect calories to go up.

You can eat until your STUFFED!!

It tastes great and is filling.

Im a firm believer that going hungry is a recipe for disaster in any diet!

Good de-appetizers also include:

Coffee! (just watch the sugar)
    Celery! (takes more calories to eat then it gives)
    Raw Carrots

Keep away from fruits! They are not different from eating a spoon of sugar in terms of calories! Your body converts them to fructose and glucose which if not spent, is stored as FAT. Yes they contain other nutrients but these can be gained easily from vitamin supplements without affecting your diet. VIT C for you can buy chew tablets of 1000mg's which is the equivalent of 14 oranges, but eating 14 oranges gives you 980 calories!!! Fruit is evil!! lol

Good work on avoiding grains, they're almost always wasted calories, unfilling for the amount of cals. Also YEAST is a massive factor in peoples metabolism, look up candida. I stick to wholemeal Pitta bread, lower calorie, lower yeast, but still filling.

This is what ive learnt, hope some of this is relatable.

Good luck!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Brandon...apropos of your post title, I'd like to recommend a book that helped me a lot. "Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig. He really gets into the science of what our bodies do with each calorie of carbs, fats and protein that we eat.
    There are some on this site who will denigrate anything but calories in, calories out, but this book really helped me make better choices about what I eat every day, and understand the science of digestion and energy in the body.
    Hope it helps you as much as it did me.
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Recently, I've been upping my protein and really trying to stay away from sugar/candy and other empty calories. It also helps me to allow myself to indulge in certain things so that I don't feel that urge to "cheat." I eat/drink full-fat dairy. Also, when I have attempted to completely cut out grains, it generally results in me feeling extremely hungry and deprived. Then I end up making bad decisions. Maybe it's just me and my carb addiction. But I've found a nice compromise in just limiting my carb intake, but not cutting them entirely. I made a really good bolognese sauce recently. It is packed with protein and veggies and super filling. It's essentially a crushed tomato sauce with whatever veggies you have on hand and a lean meat (ground turkey is good). I have it with just a little bit of whole wheat angel hair, and even having just that little bit of pasta makes it more filling to me. Also, I try to keep hard boiled eggs on hand and have them as snacks with a little hot sauce on top. I think the hot sauce helps make it feel like more of a treat and also curbs my appetite.
  • kanebrewer88
    edited September 2016
    Options

If you're avoiding potatoes in your soup due to the carbohydrate content, I've got some bad news for you about lentils . . .

Indeed lentils contain carbs, which is why I say, take out the potatoes as your already getting enough. That said, a full bowl of soup has the same carbs as two slices of bread, no where near the same fat (infact none), and its three times more filling. Lesser of evils eh :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Veggies, most are good for low calorie snacks, a handful of carrots or broccoli, or even cauliflower dipped in some light ranch shouldn't de-rail you. I found that when I started exercising more my body wanted more energy, and therefore my digestion/metabolism went into overdrive. I've finally settled personally on 3 meals a day with 2 snacks, each around 500 calories or less, except dinner is usually closer to 800ish or more. I'm at maintenance so I have more calories, but you get the idea, you might want to try smaller meals and eating more often than 3 times a day. For me, it helps somewhat to shrink the stomach a bit but keeps me full throughout the day. I average around 200g of protein a day (sometimes more sometimes a little less) which also helps, but I find things like fish or tuna are easier to digest and don't keep me satiated as long as chicken, beef, or pork. Just some thoughts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're avoiding potatoes in your soup due to the carbohydrate content, I've got some bad news for you about lentils . . .

Indeed lentils contain carbs, which is why I say, take out the potatoes as your already getting enough. That said, a full bowl of soup has the same carbs as two slices of bread, no where near the same fat (infact none), and its three times more filling. Lesser of evils eh :)

I don't think it is possible to say that it's three times more filling -- some people (including myself) do find bread to be filling. I love lentils, I love bread, they both can fit into a healthy and filling diet plan. I don't think either one is evil.
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I don't think it is possible to say that it's three times more filling -- some people (including myself) do find bread to be filling. I love lentils, I love bread, they both can fit into a healthy and filling diet plan. I don't think either one is evil.

I tend to agree with janejellyroll. For me personally, when I try to cut out entire food groups, I just end up feeling deprived and then indulge too much. I don't think most foods are inherently bad. All in moderation :) That being said, different things work for different people, and some may have more willpower than I.
  • kanebrewer88
    edited September 2016
    Options

Each to their own matey, all I know I look at quantity per calorie. Two ladles of soup is by mass, MORE then two slices of bread. And has less fat & calories BEFORE even adding a sandwhich filling. OP is talking about being hungry, providing solutions here pal. Somehow I dont think "go eat a sandwhich" is a solution.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Each to their own matey, all I know I look at quantity per calorie. Two ladles of soup is by mass, MORE then two slices of bread. And has less fat & calories BEFORE even adding a sandwhich filling. OP is talking about being hungry, providing solutions here pal. Somehow I dont think "go eat a sandwhich" is a solution.

One cup of lentils (what you called for in your recipe) is about 660 calories. Two slices of the bread I typically eat is about 160 calories. I am not arguing against lentils -- I eat them regularly. I don't know what size your ladle is, but two ladles of soup (at least by my ladle) seems somewhat equivalent to two slices of bread. As far as fat goes, bread typically isn't a high fat food (and our bodies require fat anyway).

A sandwich *is* a potential solution to hunger. I think the lentil soup is a great suggestion, I just don't understand the demonization of other foods. I can create a sandwich that is filling, helps meet my nutrient needs, and in the calorie range of a bowl of lentil soup. Both foods can be appropriate for hunger control and weight loss.
  • kanebrewer88
    edited September 2016
    Options

One cup of lentils (what you called for in your recipe) is about 660 calories. Two slices of the bread I typically eat is about 160 calories. I am not arguing against lentils -- I eat them regularly. I don't know what size your ladle is, but two ladles of soup (at least by my ladle) seems somewhat equivalent to two slices of bread. As far as fat goes, bread typically isn't a high fat food (and our bodies require fat anyway).

A sandwich *is* a potential solution to hunger. I think the lentil soup is a great suggestion, I just don't understand the demonization of other foods. I can create a sandwich that is filling, helps meet my nutrient needs, and in the calorie range of a bowl of lentil soup. Both foods can be appropriate for hunger control and weight loss.

660 calories??? Where are you getting your info from?

230 calories.

Bread around 90 calories. so 180 total. Then add your 2 grams of FAT. Then you've got butter? I mean everyone adds butter right? 1 TBLSP butter 90 odd calories.

your over.

Whats your filling? becuase unless its just lettuce, tomatoes and onion, your going to go over. and if thats the case, I dont consider a lettuce, tomatoe and onion sandwhich with no butter, more filling then two ladles of soup packed full of vegetables.

So i guess were both going to disagree on this.

• kanebrewer88
    Options
    Kinda disagree on the "your body requires fat" arguement. The very reason your on a diet is because you've got too much fat in your body. Let your body use that.