My Farewell Letter

Options
Dear Me,

I can't believe you're here, again. How many times have you come to this point? Too many. How many times have you succeeded? None. How many times have you failed? Every single one. Things have to change and in order for that to happen, I have to let you go.

Farewell to the woman who hides food and binges when no one's looking. I never liked doing that anyhow, but I let you tell me I had to. You were wrong.

Farewell to the lazy woman who barely moves and drives her car to go two blocks. You've become so out of shape you can't even walk upstairs or around the yard.

Farewell to the excuses and cop outs. Excuses are why you have to do this now. How many more days will you waste? None on me! So what if it's hard? I'm going to do it anyway!

Farewell to the wardrobe that haunts me every day. Soon your clothes will be too big, and I'll be able to throw them out. They have no power over me anymore. My size is a number that I will now control. Not food.

Farewell to the woman that writes this now. It's time to go away. Please say hello to the woman who will be taking over. She's here because she loves you and she wants you to succeed. Don't try to tempt her, don't try to fail her, but simply lie down and shut up. Your old tricks and habits are no longer welcome in my life.

Farewell to the things that brought me to this point. I'm sure you'll visit me again from time to time. Maybe every now and then we'll be able to reminisce, but this time it will be under my control.

I have to go now. It's time to change. It's time to say goodbye. Even though I'm terrified and even though I know this is going to be crazy hard, I am walking away. I'm turning around and going to a new place. A healthy place. A happy place. Don't come looking for me, you can't come where I'm going.

Goodbye old friend.

Sincerely,
The woman who's starting her life over today

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I love your letter! Best wishes to you on your journey to a better life. :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    This is great :) Bye bye old you and welcome new you!

You got this!

As said above - make a nice group of supportive friends and remember - slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Nice one!
  • BreakEveryChain16
    Options
    Can I suggest: get a fitness tracker and make some "friends". It's amazing where you'll walk when you're in a challenge!

You got this!

I'm a bit out of touch, can you tell me what a fitness tracker is?
  • BreakEveryChain16
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

You got this!

As said above - make a nice group of supportive friends and remember - slow and steady wins the race :)

Thanks! Unfortunately for me, my support will be limited to MFP. I don't have much to lean on in RL. Everyone is so fickle and no one really believes I can do this.
  • 22MaiHicka22
    22MaiHicka22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww * hugs you tightllllllyyyyy* welcome my friend ! I will be rooting for new you ! Xo xo
  • txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!

You've summarized how many feel. As a food addict myself, I've decided to say farewell to hiding my thoughts, feelings and problem! Congrats on facing it all and congrats on moving forward!!
  • ListenSunnie
    ListenSunnie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest: get a fitness tracker and make some "friends". It's amazing where you'll walk when you're in a challenge!

You got this!

I'm a bit out of touch, can you tell me what a fitness tracker is?

A fitness tracker is a device you wear to count your steps. Like a Fitbit. Hope that helps. Good luck to the new you!
  • BreakEveryChain16
    Options
    Awwwwww * hugs you tightllllllyyyyy* welcome my friend ! I will be rooting for new you ! Xo xo

Thank you so much!
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    I cried when I read this. I'm such an emotional sap lol. Good luck to you on your journey! You got this :)
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I could have written much of your letter and have numerous 'starting over' journals. You can do this! Sending you a friend request....it's so much easier with lot's of friends to support you!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

You got this!

Thanks! Unfortunately for me, my support will be limited to MFP. I don't have much to lean on in RL. Everyone is so fickle and no one really believes I can do this.

This is the best place for support. That was an amazing post, and you have the right mindset now to succeed.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. Wishing you much success. Sounds like your head is in the right place to do it now. I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it. You got this, and luck ain't got a damned thing to do with it. Forward!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    @BreakEveryChain16, that's an awesome letter. Really touched me. Get into MFP and make some friends, and track everything! I've been overweight for 30+ years, and tried almost everything else out there - THIS is what has worked most consistently for me.

I love your screen name! Says it all!

Two things:
    1) For once, this is JUST for you.
    2) Sexy is not a size. Every calorie is not a war. Your body is not a battleground. Your value is not measured in pounds. You are just as beautiful as every other woman.

Good Luck!
    Add me if you like...
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Day by day, moment by moment, decision by decision. Congratulations on taking the first step!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! One day at a time. Best of luck!!
  • geekydee83
    geekydee83 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Love the letter and can totally relate, as I'm sure many people here can! I'm sending you a friend request, I know I'm going to need support for the low days and high fives for the good so maybe I can do that for you too? Best of luck to you x

Edit: I've just tried to add you but I can't from my end, if you want a cheerleader then send me a request :)