Always hungry

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're avoiding potatoes in your soup due to the carbohydrate content, I've got some bad news for you about lentils . . .

Indeed lentils contain carbs, which is why I say, take out the potatoes as your already getting enough. That said, a full bowl of soup has the same carbs as two slices of bread, no where near the same fat (infact none), and its three times more filling. Lesser of evils eh :)

I don't think it is possible to say that it's three times more filling -- some people (including myself) do find bread to be filling. I love lentils, I love bread, they both can fit into a healthy and filling diet plan. I don't think either one is evil.

Each to their own matey, all I know I look at quantity per calorie. Two ladles of soup is by mass, MORE then two slices of bread. And has less fat & calories BEFORE even adding a sandwhich filling. OP is talking about being hungry, providing solutions here pal. Somehow I dont think "go eat a sandwhich" is a solution.

One cup of lentils (what you called for in your recipe) is about 660 calories. Two slices of the bread I typically eat is about 160 calories. I am not arguing against lentils -- I eat them regularly. I don't know what size your ladle is, but two ladles of soup (at least by my ladle) seems somewhat equivalent to two slices of bread. As far as fat goes, bread typically isn't a high fat food (and our bodies require fat anyway).

A sandwich *is* a potential solution to hunger. I think the lentil soup is a great suggestion, I just don't understand the demonization of other foods. I can create a sandwich that is filling, helps meet my nutrient needs, and in the calorie range of a bowl of lentil soup. Both foods can be appropriate for hunger control and weight loss.

660 calories??? Where are you getting your info from?

230 calories.

Bread around 90 calories. so 180 total. Then add your 2 grams of FAT. Then you've got butter? I mean everyone adds butter right? 1 TBLSP butter 90 odd calories.

your over.

Whats your filling? becuase unless its just lettuce, tomatoes and onion, your going to go over.

Well i guess were both going to disagree on this.

That's cooked. When you said to add a cup of lentils, I presumed that you were adding uncooked lentils.

Even then, that's still more calories than two slices of the bread I eat. Butter isn't required for bread. I never eat butter. And even if one does add something like butter or hummus or peanut butter, many people find fat to be filling. A slice or two of bread with some fat may be just right for some people.

I get it. You have something against bread. I don't think it is justified, but you've made your position very clear.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm with the poster who said that perhaps the best solution is to eat a little more. I worry that my body is only going to take so much of this "always hungry" *kitten* before it starts slowing my metabolism. In fact, when I hear people say that they "got used to" their 1200 calorie diet after a few weeks, I wonder if their calories out decreased in that time (due to less fidgeting, more sitting, decreased metabolism etc).

You don't have to move it up much OP. Start with 50 calories more each day and see how that goes.
  • kanebrewer88
    kanebrewer88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

If you're avoiding potatoes in your soup due to the carbohydrate content, I've got some bad news for you about lentils . . .

Indeed lentils contain carbs, which is why I say, take out the potatoes as your already getting enough. That said, a full bowl of soup has the same carbs as two slices of bread, no where near the same fat (infact none), and its three times more filling. Lesser of evils eh :)

I don't think it is possible to say that it's three times more filling -- some people (including myself) do find bread to be filling. I love lentils, I love bread, they both can fit into a healthy and filling diet plan. I don't think either one is evil.

Each to their own matey, all I know I look at quantity per calorie. Two ladles of soup is by mass, MORE then two slices of bread. And has less fat & calories BEFORE even adding a sandwhich filling. OP is talking about being hungry, providing solutions here pal. Somehow I dont think "go eat a sandwhich" is a solution.

One cup of lentils (what you called for in your recipe) is about 660 calories. Two slices of the bread I typically eat is about 160 calories. I am not arguing against lentils -- I eat them regularly. I don't know what size your ladle is, but two ladles of soup (at least by my ladle) seems somewhat equivalent to two slices of bread. As far as fat goes, bread typically isn't a high fat food (and our bodies require fat anyway).

A sandwich *is* a potential solution to hunger. I think the lentil soup is a great suggestion, I just don't understand the demonization of other foods. I can create a sandwich that is filling, helps meet my nutrient needs, and in the calorie range of a bowl of lentil soup. Both foods can be appropriate for hunger control and weight loss.

230 calories.

Bread around 90 calories. so 180 total. Then add your 2 grams of FAT. Then you've got butter? I mean everyone adds butter right? 1 TBLSP butter 90 odd calories.

your over.

Whats your filling? becuase unless its just lettuce, tomatoes and onion, your going to go over.

That's cooked. When you said to add a cup of lentils, I presumed that you were adding uncooked lentils.

Even then, that's still more calories than two slices of the bread I eat. Butter isn't required for bread. I never eat butter. And even if one does add something like butter or hummus or peanut butter, many people find fat to be filling. A slice or two of bread with some fat may be just right for some people.

I get it. You have something against bread. I don't think it is justified, but you've made your position very clear.

erm no, I said "boil the lentils, then in a seperate pan boil the veg". I kinda thought this was self explanitory. I mean who eats raw lentils O_o

Okay, for the sake of arguement, its more calories then two slices of bread, it but damn well aint less then a sandwhich with a filling, and 2+ grams of fat is worse then a bowl with 0 fat.

PEANUT BUTTER!!!! WHAT!!!! THATS THE MOST FATENING THING YOU CAN EAT, PEANUTS ARE 161 calories per OZ and BUTTER, 90grams per tablespoon!! They put themtogether and liquidize, and your saying eat that!!!! WTF????

Hummous is OK :)

Fine you eat your hummous sandwhiches and get over your flame war, thanks.
  • kanebrewer88
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yeah I love bread, but its fattening, thats why I hate it. lol :D

that said you should really read up on candida, its one of the stealth metabolism killers most prominent today, most people havent got a clue about it. Yeast + sugar = *kitten*.! :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

that said you should really read up on candida, its one of the stealth metabolism killers most prominent today, most people havent got a clue about it. Yeast + sugar = *kitten*.! :)

No it's not, either is peanut butter. You have to over eat calorie wise to get fat.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

230 calories.

your over.

erm no, I said "boil the lentils, then in a seperate pan boil the veg". I kinda thought this was self explanitory. I mean who eats raw lentils O_o

Okay, for the sake of arguement, its more calories then two slices of bread, it but damn well aint less then a sandwhich with a filling, and 2+ grams of fat is worse then a bowl with 0 fat.

PEANUT BUTTER!!!! WHAT!!!! THATS THE MOST FATENING THING YOU CAN EAT, PEANUTS ARE 161 calories per OZ and BUTTER, 90grams per tablespoon!! They put themtogether and liquidize, and your saying eat that!!!! WTF????

Hummous is OK :)

Fine you eat your hummous sandwhiches and get over your flame war, thanks.

I love peanut butter. That sounds about a million times better than a hummus sandwich. Yuck.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't for everyone. If you're not satisfied following a low carb diet, try changing it up. As long as your calories are in check you'll keep losing weight. If you're always hungry though, you'll never keep it up long term.
  • kanebrewer88
    Options

No it's not, either is peanut butter. You have to over eat calorie wise to get fat.

OK mate, you eat your 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, ill eat my 2x poached eggs with a side of chopped tomatoes and ill be full, and still be below your calorie intake.

Maybe were on different levels ladys and gents, I thought the point of NOT BEING HUNGRY whilst dieting, was eating food that gives you the most quantity per calorie. Peanut Butter does not do that.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

No one food is "fattening." Eating more calories than you burn is. And if something killed your metabolism, you'd be dead too.
  • kanebrewer88
    edited September 2016
    Options

No one food is "fattening." Eating more calories than you burn is. And if something killed your metabolism, you'd be dead too.

I understand what your saying pal, moderation, but your just baiting on grounds of technicallity, so all im gonna say is, you go eat your jar of peanut butter and starve. Ill eat three square meals, be full and be well below my daily calorie intake.

oh and go read up on candida. you'd be surprised.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Im on track with my diet and eating way more healthy but i always find my self hungry any tips on how to supress that

How long has it been since you started this new way of eating? Sometimes it takes some adjusting. For example, I dropped my carb intake a while back and for the first week or two I was absolutely exhausted all the time. Your body may just be hungry because it's used to taking in too many calories, or junk food. It will get easier! If it doesn't, trying upping your intake slightly. This can also be adjusted if you are extremely active.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I understand what your saying pal, moderation, but your just baiting on grounds of technicallity, so all im gonna say is, you go eat your jar of peanut butter and starve. Ill eat three square meals, be full and be well below my daily calorie intake.

Can you provide some information on candida? We'd all love to learn about it, and you're the one making the claim that bread is going to infest us with it. What sources have you been reading about that?

OK mate, you eat your 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, ill eat my 2x poached eggs with a side of chopped tomatoes and ill be full, and still be below your calorie intake.

Maybe were on different levels ladys and gents, I thought the point of NOT BEING HUNGRY whilst dieting, was eating food that gives you the most quantity per calorie. Peanut Butter does not do that.

Not everyone is a volume eater. Some people are - they like to eat a large amount of food at once for not that many calories. That is satisfying to them. Others are more satisfied by eating less quantities of more calorie-dense foods. And that's okay, too.

Peanut butter is very filling and satisfying for me. I was low on fats yesterday and had some calories to play with, so I had a spoonful of peanut butter. It was delicious and satisfying, and I'm certainly not fatter today because of it.
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Can you provide some information on candida? We'd all love to learn about it, and you're the one making the claim that bread is going to infest us with it. What sources have you been reading about that?

Not everyone is a volume eater. Some people are - they like to eat a large amount of food at once for not that many calories. That is satisfying to them. Others are more satisfied by eating less quantities of more calorie-dense foods. And that's okay, too.

Peanut butter is very filling and satisfying for me. I was low on fats yesterday and had some calories to play with, so I had a spoonful of peanut butter. It was delicious and satisfying, and I'm certainly not fatter today because of it.

Agreed - I don't eat a lot, but I really enjoy higher fat, richer foods. But I eat a lot less of them than other things, like veggies. I feel more satiated, both physically and mentally, when I allow myself to eat the foods I enjoy (in moderation, of course).
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist but i can tell you since i started this i'm never hungry & am loosing weight. one thing I do is make fruit/veggie shakes with the nutribullit, it really fills me up, I eat food that is filling, for example I have a red microvaved potato(3-4oz) grilled lean ground turkey patty(6oz), bunch of green beans, 1 tsp butter. Today I had beef strips grilled quick on george forman grill & another time i grill boneless/skinless chicken thighs or cook in crock pot with veggies. I have P&J open sandwich using no sugar added jam or tuna/canned chicken sandwich(always using 1 slice of bread) I bought sardines for evening snacks. I even have chips sometime, but only eat an ounce, which is enough. I usually have calories left over
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    forgot to add I usually have chicken soup I make from scratch on hand, very filling
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Eat moderate protein foods and low carb high fat
  • zeinabb123
    zeinabb123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those are hunger cues your brain id sending out either because your calories are not enough or youre not getting adequate nutrition. (Lack vitamins) I suggest you listen to yu body and feed it a bit extra(in controlled portions ofc, dont binge bc if you do it will become a tough habit to break) don ignore your body. If its telling you to eat then eat. Simple. Good luck buddy!