Planks and a sore neck?

Options
I have just gotten back into the swing of things after a long break. Part of the exercises my fitness coach had given me before was to do planks, fire hydrants, leg lifts straight back and leg lifts while on a side plank. I did 3 sets of 12-15 each yesterday and my neck is really sore. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my form?

Replies

• louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally have never had any neck soreness from planks of any kind. Make sure you are holding your head in line with your back. Your head and back should be aligned in a neutral position keeping your core tight. You should be feeling it in your abs not your back or neck if you are doing it right. Concentrate on squeezing everything as if your body was a tight strong rope being pulled from both ends. Hope this helps.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of exercises that hurt my neck but plank is not one of them. Could be your head, shoulder, or arm position.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Check your form. However, don't be like me and turn your head to the side to look at yourself in the mirror to check your form because that strains the neck as well. I mean, for a quick second or two it's fine. Can you have someone else check your form?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Since you're coming back from a long break you're probably straining a bit. Some folks really tense their necks when straining...I suspect you're one of them. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists more than a couple of weeks.
  • amjenkins2447
    amjenkins2447 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I agree my former probably could use some work and I do sometimes tense up. I only walked today to try and give everything a break to rest and hopefully will feel better tomorrow. I appreciate the support.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yoga videos are a great way to learn proper plank form. Give it a try.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Planks are one of my favorite exercises. They're so good for the core, good for flexibility, posture, the list goes on, plus there are so many variations. They're also easy to do incorrectly.

When I coach the plank in my barre classes, I make sure students are lining up their elbows under their shoulders (or hands under the shoulders if you're going full arm plank), gaze is lifted (tendency to tuck the chin to the chest, you want it all nice and straight), and core pulled in (think "belly button to spin" - cue seems to work with them!). Also, contract your shoulders down your back so you aren't tensing.

Like someone else said, you should be feeling it in your core. My coach likes to say "if you ain't shaking, you ain't doing it right." A little extreme (but that's him!), but his point is, your core should be what's working.
  • amjenkins2447
    amjenkins2447 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful!