Fruit - low carb diet silly question

Options
I'm on a low carb diet

But I do like to have fruit now and then.
When is the best time of day to eat fruit?
Would I be best having fruit and Greek yoghurt for breakfast once or twice a week? Or just laying off it completely?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well...if you are going to insist on a low carb diet then yes fruit is carbs and so you would have to limit how much fruit you have. Time of day is irrelevant. Which of course brings up the question...why a low carb diet?
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Because I've tried every diet imaginable and I can't stick to it

This is working so far and im full and content
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well it would probably still work if you had some fruit but kept to the same amount of calories considering its the amount of calories that matter. I mean if you are on a diet that has you avoiding fruit...gotta admit that is a bit weird.
  • jpc763
    jpc763 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am on Keto and have had strawberries and blueberries in heavy cream as a treat on occasion. I did this without going over my 28g daily carb goal.
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Tbh before I was dieting I never touched fruit
    It's just to satisfy my sweet tooth lol
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Op is also low fat so that wouldn't work.
    jpc763 wrote: »
    I am on Keto and have had strawberries and blueberries in heavy cream as a treat on occasion. I did this without going over my 28g daily carb goal.

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good for you, do what works for you so long as it isn't dangerous, everyone has to figure out what they think they can stick too. I personally find it is better for me to eat more carbs at lunch or breakfast than dinner. My trainer suggests that if I am working out to have more carbs earlier in the day to keep my energy up and then more protein after my workout to help build and maintain muscle. Hope this helps and good luck on your journey.
  • CarolF11
    CarolF11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Because I've tried every diet imaginable and I can't stick to it

This is working so far and im full and content

Same here☺ I have fruits low in carbs everyday
  • bexilashious
    Options
    Thank you! X
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Whenever I limit carbs I always eat fruit, just sticking to high fiber options.
  • jpc763
    Options

I did not see low fat in the first post.

1 cup of fresh strawberries is 49 cals, 12g of carbs of which 3g are fiber so 9g net carbs
    1/2 cup of fresh blueberries is 22 cals, 6g of carbs of which 4g are fiber so 2g net carbs
    1/4 cup of heavy whip cream is 25 cals & 0 carbs

Total for the desert is 96 cals and 11g of net carbs

It works for me on the Keto diet which is high fat and low carb.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

1 cup of fresh strawberries is 49 cals, 12g of carbs of which 3g are fiber so 9g net carbs
    1/2 cup of fresh blueberries is 22 cals, 6g of carbs of which 4g are fiber so 2g net carbs

She said that in a different thread sorry
  • bexilashious
    Options
    That sounds sooo nice!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Some, especially those with insulin resistance, find eating carbs later in the day works best for a couple of reasons.
    1. Their morning blood glucose is high due to the Dawn Effect (gluconeogenesis).
    2. Carbs stimulates their appetite so eating sugary fruit later in the day affects the appetite for a shorter time.

As a general rule, berries are lowest carb followed by fruits that can be grown in a temperate region like apples, oranges, plums, necatrines, and apricots. Tropical fruits like banana, mangos, dates and figs are highest in carbs. And of course dried fruit is very high carb.

Fruits that are considered to be veggies ( cucmbers, tomatoes and such) are also lower carb.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @bexilashious why low fat in addition to low carb? Fat is no longer the enemy. Many successful low carbers here are actually high fat.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

@jpc763
    I think you have found a very optimistic database entry for cream... 1/4 cup (60ml) of heavy whipping cream is over 200 cals. Or whipped, still over 100. So your dessert would be more like 175 or 275 cals. Which is fine as long as that fits in your day.

OP, if you like eating the way you are eating and fruit it satisfying your desire to have something sweet -that sounds like a great way to go, keep it up! Fruit is a good source of energy, fibre, and various other goodies, depending on which ones you eat, that sounds like a good habit to get into.
  • jpc763
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    @jpc763
    I think you have found a very optimistic database entry for cream... 1/4 cup (60ml) of heavy whipping cream is over 200 cals. Or whipped, still over 100. So your dessert would be more like 175 or 275 cals. Which is fine as long as that fits in your day.

My bad. It was a quick lookup on here and I was looking at 1 tablespoon thinking I was looking at 1 cup. I can make it fit I my daily plan when I want some.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

@jpc763

OP, if you like eating the way you are eating and fruit it satisfying your desire to have something sweet -that sounds like a great way to go, keep it up! Fruit is a good source of energy, fibre, and various other goodies, depending on which ones you eat, that sounds like a good habit to get into.

I must admit, i did get excited for a split second when i saw the dessert and it's calories :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try moderate carb? I had success keeping my carbs at 100g or slightly lower. This way you'll still get the low carb benefits and get to eat fruit too.