A couple of things I don't understand about weight loss

Options
1) How does weight actually "get lost." For example, if I weigh myself and I weigh 100 pounds (yeah right). And then I eat a 16 oz steak, a pound of potatoes, and a pound of green beans. I should gain three pounds, right? But there's not necessarily the same amount of calories in each of those, so I'll probably end up gaining more from the steak than the green beans. Why? Isn't the steak still in me?

2) How does weight "get gained"? For example, at night I weigh myself and weigh 100 pounds (yeah right). The next morning, before eating, I weigh myself and weigh 101.5 pounds. How does that happen?? This just happened to me the other day. How does this make sense?

3) What does exercise do? Again, there's this "Law of Conservation of Matter" thing we learned in high school. Stuff doesn't just disappear. So how do we lose weight?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't get it.

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your body uses energy aka burns calories keeping our bodies alive. It takes energy to pump that heart, expand those lungs etc. If you eat 3 pounds of food yes immediately you will weigh 3 pounds more but then as body digests food the calorie content of the food will become more relevant.

I cant answer your second question, I dont often weigh myself at night but if I do and then weigh again in the morning I always weigh less (providing of course I havent eaten/drunk anything in between).

Exercise burns more energy, we use a certain amount to live also know as BMR but then it takes energy to actually move that body around. Like a car it takes x amount of fuel to keep a car running while staionary. When you drive you use more fuel, drive faster and you'll use more, pick up a passenger and you'll need more fuel, drop off some luggage and it will use less fuel. Where does all the petrol go? We see some come out the exhaust as smoke..........

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    #2 likely just variations in your scale. Don't worry about that though if you weigh yourself regularly you can still track your weightloss....the error will cancel out over time and the trend will be the same.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    You might find this interesting. Kind of "shows" what posters above, especially @Aaron_K123, have been telling.
    https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE

Nice talk, that covers it well. Learned something myself, didn't know the ratio of oxygen that went out as water versus what went out as C02 from hydrocarbons you injest or use from your fat stores. I knew most went out via breath but not what percent.
  • FrumMama
    FrumMama Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks, that makes a lot of sense! Just one more question, for all you science guys out there. Why doesn't weightlifting burn calories? You would think that you're working your muscles, so the same thing should happen...
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting does burn calories, it's just much harder to accurately predict the calories burned.

Strength training is incredibly variable depending on the muscle groups used, current level of fitness, poundage being lifted, rest periods between sets - the way your body is using the energy is harder to measure than when you're doing an aerobic exercise like running.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    You might find this interesting. Kind of "shows" what posters above, especially @Aaron_K123, have been telling.
    https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE

Mind....blown.
    This is going on my FB. :)
  • MommyMeggo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    FrumMama wrote: »
    Wow, thanks, that makes a lot of sense! Just one more question, for all you science guys out there. Why doesn't weightlifting burn calories? You would think that you're working your muscles, so the same thing should happen...

It does burn calories but not like steady state cardio. Its not as easily measured due to many factors like weight, intensity, reps, etc.

Sleeping burns calories- so why would you think a lifting routine wouldnt? :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    FrumMama wrote: »

It does, why would you think it doesn't?
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    When you exercise rate of oxygen/carbon exchange goes up and you breath harder to compensate.

Don't get the impression that hyperventilating will shed pounds though....doesn't work like that.

haha as I was reading that I was thinking "hey GUYS! guys! I think I've stumbled on a-oh."

So briefly, why doesn't hyperventilating work?
  • MommyMeggo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    When you exercise rate of oxygen/carbon exchange goes up and you breath harder to compensate.

Don't get the impression that hyperventilating will shed pounds though....doesn't work like that.

haha as I was reading that I was thinking "hey GUYS! guys! I think I've stumbled on a-oh."

You should watch the last 5ish minutes (really should watch the whole video ^^) He addresses that question.

Actually can FF to 17:38 in the video.
  • akf2000
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

You should watch the last 5ish minutes (really should watch the whole video ^^) He addresses that question.

cool cool, wish there was a bookmark feature on here, YT is blocked at work- kinda their hint that I should be working.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

cool cool, wish there was a bookmark feature on here, YT is blocked at work- kinda their hint that I should be working.

If you mean on MFP, just select the star up at the top and it will be bookmarked.
  • MommyMeggo
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oh LOl yes.
    Basically what he said is with hyperventilating there is no hormone released (which comes from eating less/moving more ) that breaks apart the bigger fat molecule into 3 smaller ones (triglycerides) which allows the CO2 to escape so it can be released and leave the body.
  • akf2000
    Options

If you mean on MFP, just select the star up at the top and it will be bookmarked.

ahh! thanks! I thought that was for following a thread/ getting updates but it's just a bookmark after all.