Chips

Options

Replies

• CarolF11
    CarolF11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you look at the labels of typical alternatives to potato and corn chips...well...you'll find that there's really not much difference if any difference at all...so I'd just eat whatever chips you actually like. I love how "veggie chips" and sweet potato chips are marketed to be "health food"...when you look at the actual nutrition, it's all about the same...

Thanks! I'll be looking more carefully and comparing.
  • NicoleVT83
    NicoleVT83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's Cracker Chips are really good. Only 120 calories for 25-30 chips!
  • CarolF11
    Options
    CarolF11 wrote: »
    Any healthy chips y'all recommend? Preferably not made with corn or main ingredient potatoes.

You can make any kind you like at home. Have you tried carrot chips, zucchini chips, beet chips, eggplant chips, pretty much anything you can slice can be made into chips. I highly suggest making sweet potato chips even if you don't care for regular potatoes. As they are very healthy for the body!

Oh and don't forget fruit chips.. apple chips and pretty much anything else, if you have a dehydrator you have even more variety.

All you need is a cookie sheet covered in foil or parchment paper & a Misto (which will rock your world if you've not tried one before!!) Oh, aaaaahhh yea and an Oven, you'll need one of those too! :p

Misto Olive Oil Spray Product Review
    https://youtu.be/_bU4Le5eRFE

Thanks so much!!☺☺ I've only made kale chips and I remember loving those. I'll try other veggies!!!

I thought you wanted low carb?

Aren't veggies low in carb?

Most are, some are higher, some aren't, you can look up their Glycemic Index (GI) and you'll see exactly what is low and high carb. It just depends on how sugar dense the carb food is. Carbs aren't bad for us, eating to many can't be unhealthy for some ppl. If you go over your macros or if you'd tracking because you're diabetic and it messes with your blood sugars.

Any of the veggie/fruit chips I mentioned way up above that I mentioned can be purchased in stores as well as made at home. Just do some home work, either by Googling or looking at the bag labels. :smiley:

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to give chips made out of potatoes another try, these are my favs:

hqzuzh7nz08l.jpg

Half the calories of regular chips because they're not fried. Also gluten free, vegan and kosher if any of those are important to you. Real ingredients, no additives or preservatives, artificial colours or flavours. No cholesterol, no trans fats.

Best of all, these suckers are truly delicious. I actually prefer them over regular chips now.

Yes, they're that good. The sea salt ones are my favourites. :)
  • CarolF11
    Options
    Kellogg's Cracker Chips are really good. Only 120 calories for 25-30 chips!

Thanks!☺
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For cracker chips I also like pepperidge farms. They are about the same calories as special k
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I've had celliriac chips at Mediterranean restaurants and it was great but haven't made it at home.

I have no idea what celliriac chips are but I'm going to look into it! Thanks☺

If you're going to Google it, the spelling is celeriac, also called celery root.

I think it may be more starchy that you seem to want based on it being a root veg, but maybe not. Celeriac chips are probably good and similar in texture to potato chips. At least, I like celeriac puree and find it texturally similar to mashed potatoes.
  • CarolF11
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I've had celliriac chips at Mediterranean restaurants and it was great but haven't made it at home.

I have no idea what celliriac chips are but I'm going to look into it! Thanks☺

If you're going to Google it, the spelling is celeriac, also called celery root.

I think it may be more starchy that you seem to want based on it being a root veg, but maybe not. Celeriac chips are probably good and similar in texture to potato chips. At least, I like celeriac puree and find it texturally similar to mashed potatoes.

Thanks☺
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Any healthy chips y'all recommend? Preferably not made with corn or main ingredient potatoes.

Is there a reason you don't can't eat corn or potatoes chips?

Healthy chips are within the perception. Just pick any chips you like and eat them in moderation. ;)

I guess its cause I'm looking for chips low in carbs.
    Thank you☺

I recently made baked 'chips' from black radishes with a mandolin. I just sprayed them with olive oil and added s&p. Of course, this wouldn't help if you're not a radish person.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy most chip alternatives, so I mostly skip them, but if we're having a party or if I have a serious hankering, I try to buy beanitos.

If we're at a restaurant, well....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

You can make any kind you like at home. Have you tried carrot chips, zucchini chips, beet chips, eggplant chips, pretty much anything you can slice can be made into chips. I highly suggest making sweet potato chips even if you don't care for regular potatoes. As they are very healthy for the body!

Oh and don't forget fruit chips.. apple chips and pretty much anything else, if you have a dehydrator you have even more variety.

All you need is a cookie sheet covered in foil or parchment paper & a Misto (which will rock your world if you've not tried one before!!) Oh, aaaaahhh yea and an Oven, you'll need one of those too! :p

Thanks so much!!☺☺ I've only made kale chips and I remember loving those. I'll try other veggies!!!

As a non-starchy veg, kale is indeed lower carb than potato or corn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Healthy chips are within the perception. Just pick any chips you like and eat them in moderation. ;)

Thank you☺

Excellent! Here's what I found that might interest you.

https://www.lowcarblab.com/best-low-carb-chips/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest do protein chips that taste decent

http://www.questnutrition.com/quest-chips
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Anything that's been deep fried in oil is going to be pretty heavy on the calories.
    I say have a single serving of chips that you really like and fit that serving into your calories for the day.
  • CarolF11
    Options

Thank you☺

Excellent! Here's what I found that might interest you.

https://www.lowcarblab.com/best-low-carb-chips/

Thanks!☺
  • CarolF11
    Options
    Quest do protein chips that taste decent

http://www.questnutrition.com/quest-chips

Never heard of protein chips, definitely look into that. Thanks☺
  • CarolF11
    Options
    Kale chips are pretty good if cooked properly (I've hit perfection once, it's easy to under or over cook them.)

True☺
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to give chips made out of potatoes another try, these are my favs:

hqzuzh7nz08l.jpg

Half the calories of regular chips because they're not fried. Also gluten free, vegan and kosher if any of those are important to you. Real ingredients, no additives or preservatives, artificial colours or flavours. No cholesterol, no trans fats.

Best of all, these suckers are truly delicious. I actually prefer them over regular chips now.

The barbeque and sea salt are both awesome. I love the 100 calorie bags.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

hqzuzh7nz08l.jpg

The barbeque and sea salt are both awesome. I love the 100 calorie bags.

Those single serving bags are great! Easy to have your snack and then stop when the bag's empty. They are hard to find in Canada, though, so I usually buy the big bags, then weigh them into the 100 cal snack size serving of 23 grams each, and put them into sandwich bags. Voila!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As a non-starchy veg, kale is indeed lower carb than potato or corn.

The video was about sweet potato chips, though, wasn't it? To quote from the post in question: "I highly suggest making sweet potato chips even if you don't care for regular potatoes." To the extent it suggested to OP that such chips would be lower carb, that's not the case. My reading was that OP was saying that she was going to try things other than kale, as shown in the video, which may or may not have included the sweet potato option (I don't usually consider potatoes or sweet potatoes "vegetables" from a culinary POV, but some do).

Some of the other suggestions (but not sweet potatoes) would have been low carb, others (like apples) not so much.

Most of the vegetable ones would have been on the lower carb side, of course -- even carrots are lots lower than potatoes, but it all depends on how few carbs one actually wants. (Random aside: I don't worry about carbs in and of themselves, and also just don't like chips that much unless at a Mexican restaurant -- they are vehicles for salt and I can find other such vehicles, like a pickle!)