Protein shakes?

Options
I am thinking about doing a protein shake and my 21 yr old son says (like he knows everything:bigsmile: ) that they are for bulking up. I want to add muscle and definition but not "bulk" up. Any suggestions??

Replies

• officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • candiigraham
    candiigraham Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'm interested solely for meal replacement right now.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The body needs protein. Protein shakes are a means to get a little extra in. Or for targeted nutrition. While people use them for bulking. Please understand that they are just a means to provide additional nutrition.

Effectively the body is held together by protein. This protein ages, deteriorates, rebuild, etc. The body can produce some proteins for this process, but some has to come from outside the body from food and protein shakes.

If they were only for bulking. I'd be huge! I consume 200-300g of protein a day. Only about 60g from shakes.

Edited to add the following.
    Whey - good in the AM and post workout
    Egg/Soy - good general purpose complete proteins. For during the day
    Casein - good bedtime protein for your metabolism to work on while you sleep.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Nothing but steroids or testosterone can 'bulk you up'. You are a woman! You need protein to feed your muscles. I just had a protein shake last night after my workout, with fruit for a faster muscle recovery. Protein shakes are a great source of protein after workouts or if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet. :)
    But they don't automatically GIVE you muscle. You can only do that by weight lifting and strength training. Protein is simply the fuel. :) Don't be scared of it!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Yea, I want to use it for a meal replacement as well..
  • cjasins
    cjasins Posts: 93
    Options
    I drink at least 2 protein shakes a day. My goal is to build muscle but not to bulk up. My trainer has said that it is impossible to add mass while eating at a calorie deficit. I also eat between 1800-1900 cals a day and have been steadily losing weight while toning up.
  • nafisapreston
    nafisapreston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I will share my opinion. I believe protein shakes are good for giving you energy. The reason guys bulk up usually is because they use that extra energy to increase their workouts. Since they're lifting heavier weights, they bulk up. As women, we can use that extra energy to do cardio, weights, or just survive the day. Nevertheless, if you do weights, I believe heavy weights bulk you up, and more reps at lighter weights instead will give you tone and definition.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    25 grams of protein equals 100 calories. And it takes the body more effort to digest protein than carbs or fat so like everything else its about moderation and or what you accompany it with.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement is a whole different subject. Meal replacements should have larger quantities of fats and carbohydrates as well as a decent degree of fiber.

Look for ones that are in the 200-300 calorie range that offer a fair degree of carbs and fats that fit in your macros.
  • LaraRN
    LaraRN Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Labrada Lean Body for Her is a great one! High protein, but lower calories and it tastes GREAT!! :smile:
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Labrada lean? I have heard of that....where do you purchase them?
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Most health food/vitamin shops should have the Labrada line. GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc