Skipping (jump rope) for exercise

Options
I was an active child. I used to play outside all the time. I could run, skip and jump for hours. It turns out that is no longer the case. :laugh:

I travel a lot for work so being able to work out in my hotel room is a handy thing. I figured that, rather than just doing squats etc, I'd give skipping a go. It is kicking my *kitten*! I can jump up and down; I can rotate my wrists to swing the rope. Why can't I do them both at the same time? :mad:

I thought it'd be just like riding a bike. They say you never forget...right?

After 15 minutes I've just reacquired the basic skill and it's actually quite a lot of fun and a great burn too. Am I getting cocky if I try to hop from one foot to the other while I skip?

Anyone else skip for exercise? What cool things can I learn to do in my skipping sessions?

(and before anyone says anything, there isn't a bedroom below me, so no-one is trying to sleep while it sounds like a herd of elephants are having a party in the room above! :tongue: )

Replies

• mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it since I was a child either, but just reading your post has me wondering....I may just put the HRM on today and give it a try. Just wondering what could go horribly wrong when I trip myself up on the rope...50+ doesn't fall gracefully anymore. LOL
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I jump rope for exercise sometimes. I do 8 minutes usually, with other exercises inbetween (since, like you, I am no longer as young as I used to be and cannot go go go forever). it would look like this:

2 min jump rope
    1 min squats
    2 min jump rope
    1 min lunges
    2 min jump rope
    1 min bicycle crunches
    2 min jump rope

I switch up the inbetween exercises every now and then to keep it interesting.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    I jump, I'm not great, I do a minute hard and a minute off....I alternate the types of jumps I do... but check out this naval academy jump rope dance. This will definitely give you an idea of what is possible!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqI7cGM9mWs

These women are incredible!!!!!!!!!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Love this idea - I travel a lot too and it would be easy to throw a jump rope into my suitcase - where did you get yours?
  • angelzoya519
    Options
    I loved to skip when I was a kid.
    I used to do hopscotch too. HMMM it's nice outside maybe I will go in the backyard and draw a hopscotch board out and do a few games of hopscotch and then skip also.
    Wonderful Idea.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Jump rope with wooden handle- Walmart $8 ---- very nice
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use a Nike speed rope I got from Argos. It's made of coated polyurethane and it stings when I mess up. It's very motivating!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love skipping! I'm now doing intervals using skipping instead of running on the treadmill. I hate running.
    I've just started my program this past week and already I've vastly improved.

Between a skipping rope, a resistance band and your body, you have your own gym wherever you go.

I haven't gotten all fancy with my footwork yet but I can see that coming!
    There are great youtube videos for skipping rope.
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqI7cGM9mWs

These women are incredible!!!!!!!!!!
    I might have to practice for a while before I upload my own effort to You Tube. :bigsmile:
    Between a skipping rope, a resistance band and your body, you have your own gym wherever you go.
    Yes, I packed a resistance band, my rope and gym kit when I packed for my current trip. It certainly makes a change from sitting in the bar...
  • salmoninthebeak
    Options
    I use (skipping) jumping rope as my main form of cardio. I would love to find a group of people who love to jump and set up little challenges or something. I know that ultimately we "compete" against ourselves only, but it still might be fun :)

I use to get caught up with counting my jumps (couldn't seem to stop myself), but I got a gymboss timer that has a vibrate option and I set it to tell me when to stop jumping for a break. I use to do 30 second breaks and 60 second jumping sessions, but now I just have the timer set to 5 minute intervals and try to keep going for as long as I can. The faster the music, the better it goes for me :)

My 30 minute sessions today was burned 399 calories burned (I use a heart rate monitor watch).
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. There must be loads of MFPers who would relish a skipping challenge or two?