C section mamas

Options
I was up all night researching the success stories behind mamas that had a c section and it seemed that more people have failed vs accomplished losing the "pooch". I am 5'5" and 145 and don't have a very noticeable pooch but I definitely see it forming. I've noticed working out is a lot different even though I'm 10 months PP. I feel like there's absolutely no muscles in my lower abdomen (I know they cut them and everything). Not being rude but do you think it's the lack of determination to get that "flat" tummy back or do some people not ever get it despite the work and effort?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections, achieved a flat stomach. Some people have something called diastasis recti which make it more difficult to get a flatter appearance. I am currently pregnant and will have another c-section, I should be able to get back to where I was before barring complications.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I think some folks never get it back. I believe a good chunk of it is genetics, how the doc stitched you, and your body.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections and my last boy had a tendency to "sit" on one side of my belly (from the inside) and that side (to me) is much more noticeably saggy.
    I have only lost 14lbs so far since starting this again after quitting smoking, but I havent noticed ANY changes anywhere on my body visibly...
    And I really don't see HOW that overhang will ever go away if I am honest...
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had 5 pregnancies, then pregnancy number 6 was twins and ended up being a c-section. I don't feel like the c-section caused any extra pooch as my scar area is very flat, but 6 pregnancies, one of which was twins left a lovely flap of loose skin that I don't foresee ever going away completely. My mom has the same wrinkly flap though too, and she only had 3 pregnancies, so maybe it is just genetics. It doesn't really bother me very much, as it's completely invisible when I wear clothes.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't have the dreaded pooch after my c-section, but I had really strong abs before pregnancy and I was very careful not to gain more than the recommended amount. I also don't gain weight in my stomach, that probably played a big part of it.

Sometimes, the only way to get rid of the pooch is through surgery.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have the vertical cut, so no pooch but a lovely front butt. It won't go away or get flat without surgery, but it's because I was morbidly obese for 35 years, not from being pregnant.

There are a few women that have a "flat" stomach after bab(ies). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • sierratrail2626
    Options
    My SO says that I don't have a "flap" that I have a pudgy stomach and I'm just not used to it. I just started this a week ago and weighed the first time two days ago. But I'm terrified my surgery is going to stop me from getting what I want because I didn't have the option to take it easy after I left the hospital so I had a few complications during the "recovery" period.
    Is IS GREAT that some of you have/know great success stories! Makes me more at ease.
    Thanks ladies!
  • sarahas
    sarahas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    3 C sections here, gained 50-60 pounds with each pregnancy. My last pregnancy actually caused an abdominal hernia that had to be repaired surgically, and I still have hole in the center section of my abdominal muscle... But a completely flat stomach and abdominal muscles that you can see (so it looks really weird with a hole in the middle
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had four c-sections and I have diastasis recti. I was over weight even with my first, though. I doubt I will ever have a completely flat tummy on my own because of my long term obesity, but I haven't ruled out a tummy tuck when I meet all my weight and fitness goals. I think most women who struggle losing it either have diastasis recti, excess skin, or are only trying to build muscle without emphasizing fat loss (or a combination of any of the three). It certainly isn't easy but I don't think it's a lack of determination.
  • sierratrail2626
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've had four csections over the last sixteen years. The last one was seven years ago. And though I've gotten to my goal weight in the past, I've always maintained the pooch. It never went away and my abs were never anywhere near as strong as before that first csection. I know it's from all my abs went through in those surgeries...