Women of Color.. please help me!

Options
2»

Replies

• brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I go natural, no fuss I use Dr miracle's and tee tree oils. Hope this helps, I dont let my hair come in the way of swimming or anything. sometime it does look bad, that what caps are made for , bad hair days!!!!
  • goodsister
    goodsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always wear my hair pulled back in a poney tail. I go and get a wash and shampoo everyweek like I did before I started back working out and that pull back works for me. I only let my hair down on special Sunday occasions. Or I just go and buy a wig. Because I sweat terribly in my hair, every work out my hair is wet.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    leave-in conditioners are the way to go, and as another lady has said, roller sets also work wonders. when i used to wear my hair straight i would throw some heat protection serum on it and put it in a roller set and let it dry under the dryer for about 15-20 mins. if you're interested in leave-in conditioners, i use blue magic leave in conditioner, they have tea tree oil, carrot oil and olive oil varieties. another option is parnevu. the BEST option, although it is a little pricier is this leave-in conditioner called 'mixed chicks' it moisturizes while leaving the definition of your curls. since you have shoulder length hair have you looked into banana clips? they're a very quick fix and your hair will look good in them whether it's straight or curly. just make sure to get an appropriate size for your length of hair. hope this helped!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    After a bad perm, I decided to just go natural. As I work through this journey, I alternate between braid styles and a variety of wigs until my natural hair gets to a place where I feel comfortable with it. This is just the flexibility I need....I can be carefree to exercise, swim, etc, then easily move into the professional environment and the social environment. Please don't let your hair keep you from exercising and getting fit!!
  • NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    I wear buns, ponytails, and up dos all the time, especially since it's summer. I wash my hair every few days and use leave in conditioners and gel. This allows me to exercise, swim, and be careful with my workouts! I hope this helps:)
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Relaxer for me. I have very thick hair and most times I leave it in a ponytail so I can workout. My Ion flat iron is my best friend:bigsmile: curious to know what responses you get :)
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am doing the natural look..but right now I am wearing tree branch braids and what I do is I keep them in for two months then have a mini break and braids back in. i have been chemical free for 18 months now , so when I am ready to "be free" then I will sport my curls...I am a 3c hair type, which is a kinky curly type. Hope this helps!
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Though my hair is natural I only wear it straight. In order to make it last until the next time I get a blowout, before working out I do pincurls all over my head. It has worked wonders for me, my hair retains alots of the body/flat-iron curls and my hair stays out of my face. I used to just pull it back into a ponytail, by I lost alot of my hair's volume. This way I don't have to touch up with a curling iron/blowdryer between visits to the salon
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue....I use to wear it in a pony tail but my hair dropped out when I was pregnant so I had to cut it off in a cute short cut which gets not so cute after i work out... So then I would just gel it back....but now I've giving up and I'm wearing wigs/instant weave until I can figure out what the hell I am gonna do....

I thought of cutting it very low and letting it grow back natural but I have a light patch right on the side that I have to wait until it grows a bit until I can cut it that low (cause it would be quite visible)...PLus I have a wedding in July and the bride doesnt want me bald :huh:
  • LeonaBlack
    LeonaBlack Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi,

I feel your pain!! Trust me, I have tried every thing to keep my hair decent with the frequent workouts. I have gotten to a point where I have chosen my "health over my hair" as another poster stated. I know how sweat curls our hair up and then you worry about washing it too frequently. After you wash, it starts the process of blow drying (HEAT) and straightening (HEAT) which isn't healthy for our hair either. Can't win, can you? :-)

I've heard great things about the coconut oil. After my hair dries, I use the heat protectant and silk fusion oil by CHI. I also use Kera Care edge tamer which works wonders for my curly edges.

Much success in your weight loss journey! :-)
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am also white, but I have VERY VERY course dry hair that is naturally curly. I straighten it once in a while, and I only wash it one to two times a week. I use a leave in conditioner as well as a shine serum. There is also a cream called straightener, which is actually only something like frizz ease. My hair curls up horribly when I exercise so lately I have been using some hair foam to scrunch my hair up with so it doesn't bother me as much. I use garnier fructis. I should also mention that I start cosmetology school in a couple of weeks so I should learn even more about this subject.
  • emlamar77
    emlamar77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I let my hair grow out natural about two years ago. It is very thick and wavy (not the kind that want to lie down either). I have found that straw sets, sew in weaves, and wet setting (twists, knots, rollers) allow for some versatile styles. It usually lasts through 2 serious workouts. The sew ins last 3 months and can be washed daily (just don't forget to moisturize). I usually sport a ponytail when I know I am really going to get it in! But, go to a natural hair salon and they can direct you as to what you can do. They have shampoos and conditioners that are gentle and can be used daily. If you are curious about how to go natural, check out Natural Gals on Facebook. There are so many women there with great ideas. Hope this helps! :happy:
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have 2 young biracial children and a pool, so summer can be a real hair challenge at my house! I follow the curly girls method for both of them - at this point I only use shampoo once a month if they start to feel greasy, but I clean/moisturize their hair daily with a silicone-free conditioner (we like Suave Naturals or Tresemme Naturals) and then after they are out of the tub and their hair is towel dried, we use a thicker leave-in conditioner. If their hair is still pretty moist, I'll use some of the regular conditioner as a leave-in but if it is leaning toward dryness I'll use some coconut or olive oil.

The difference has been amazing!
  • shevanity
    shevanity Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use an organic shampoo and conditioner along with coconut oil. Try using Morrocan Oil after washing and a leave-in conditioner, Mixed Chicks.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have had this same issue. I simply wrap my hair when I work out, when I get home I let it air dry most of the time, but I sometimes sit under the dryer as well so that it dries. But I wear my hair straight for the majority of the time or in a ponytail.

Hope this helps.