Lets talk MACROs (carb, fat, protein ratio)

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsherrm
    mrsherrm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    mrsherrm wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    So mine is currently set to 105gm of protein per day and I rarely hit that. Isn't that a lot for someone who just wants to get into shape and not really add mass?

How much do you weigh? Higher protein while eating in a deficit is beneficial (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/).

If you take your body weight in pounds and multiply it by 0.6 that should give you a decent protein goal to strive for.

I am currently 133lbs, my goal is 125. I'm 5'5".
    My ratios are set at 45%carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. 154 grams of carbs (which I try to keep them as healthy and complex as possible), 103 grams of protein (I can't seem to eat enough. Ever.) and fat 38 grams.

I feel like I would have to eat 3 chicken breast a day to hit my protein goals.

My protein goal is 125g, and I'm trying to lose weight. Protein intake has little to do with gaining, and many people argue adequate protein is far more important when losing than when gaining because it can help mitigate lean body mass loss.

Right but my question is how in the world do you get that much protein in. Ali also might add I can't do milk.

• RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My macros are 130G Protein, 100G Carbs, 28G Fats.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    So mine is currently set to 105gm of protein per day and I rarely hit that. Isn't that a lot for someone who just wants to get into shape and not really add mass?

How much do you weigh? Higher protein while eating in a deficit is beneficial (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/).

If you take your body weight in pounds and multiply it by 0.6 that should give you a decent protein goal to strive for.

I am currently 133lbs, my goal is 125. I'm 5'5".
    My ratios are set at 45%carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. 154 grams of carbs (which I try to keep them as healthy and complex as possible), 103 grams of protein (I can't seem to eat enough. Ever.) and fat 38 grams.

I feel like I would have to eat 3 chicken breast a day to hit my protein goals.

My protein goal is 125g, and I'm trying to lose weight. Protein intake has little to do with gaining, and many people argue adequate protein is far more important when losing than when gaining because it can help mitigate lean body mass loss.

Right but my question is how in the world do you get that much protein in. Ali also might add I can't do milk.

I eat egg whites for breakfast, protein snacks, protein for lunch and dinner and usually incorporate protein into nightly snacks too. Here are some good protein websites for sweeter desserty snacks. Also, 80 calorie vanilla greek yogurt has usually around 12 G of protein.

Doughbardoughnuts.com
    Eatmeguiltfree.com
    SmartChoiceProtein.com

Feel free to add me if you need protein ideas, I am always finding ways to add protein into my diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Setting strictly by percentage can throw off your macros if you add exercise calories separately.

The more accurate way to manage is by figuring your lean body mass and adjust your macros according to that regardless of how many calories you consume in a day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

That depends on your LBM and your goals. Protien is actually more important on a cut then a bulk.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, low fat cheeses, egg whites and lean meat are all pretty low in calories. You could add some of those to your diet if you want to increase your protein intake.

These are some of my favorite options too! I love tilapia, steelhead, tuna, turkey, chicken, egg whites, Greek yogurt... You can even find breads that have protein... As long as you're getting some form of protein into each snack and meal!

Here's a few of my regular meal ideas:
    Coffee with non fat creamer
    Breakfast: 6 egg whites, 2oz ground turkey on toasted English muffin, with low fat mozzarella
    Snack: cup of Greek yogurt
    Lunch: albacore tuna mixed with relish, onions & honey mustard with 1 slice of Daves killer bread.
    Snack: protein shake w/ dry roasted almonds
    Dinner: tilapia or steelhead fillet with 1/2 cp. brown rice, kale and quinoa blend
    Dessert: Halo Top ice cream with protein powder sprinkled on top!
  • RayahEllen
    RayahEllen Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I am planning out my macros for the day, I concentrate on hitting protein first, then fats, then filling in the rest with carbs.
    To hit my protein goals: I usually have eggs/egg white scrambles with sausage and cheese for breakfast. I eat protein pancakes for my post-workout (Kodiak Brand is amazing! Currently doing a pumpkin spice pancake for my post workout!). I upped the amount of protein that I cook in my normal dinner meals for my family (using 1.5 or twice the amount called for). I have cottage cheese or 0% fage yogurt with fruit and honey for a snack.
    Other ideas for protein: quinoa, lunch meats, tuna, nuts, beef jerky, etc.
    When I was putting together my protein goals, I did .8grams per lb of my goal weight. It put me right around 100 grams a day. That's a normal intake level.

Feel free to add me or look at my diary for examples. Its open.

• abratsven
    abratsven Posts: 1 Member
    Options

No, protein is essential for weight loss and building blocks for your body
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm an old guy (66) and I shoot for 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat on an average of 2000 cals/ day which includes 200 gms of protein a day. The actual ratio can go to 33/33/33 and amount of cals/protein per day can vary from 1500-2200/150-220 depending on how many cals I've burned exercising and what my goals are at the time.

I've used this ratio to sucessfully lose weight and increase strength on 2 different occasions. Once, 3 yrs ago, from 198# to 158# down to 12% BF w/a 1RM DL then of 275#. And, most recently in the past 3 months, from 196# to 171# down to 20% BF to a 1RM DL a few days ago of 300#. Still in cut/strength gain mode now w/a current goal of 165# & 15% BF w/a 1RM DL of 330#, which I hope to achieve in the next couple months.
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    45% Carb, 25% Fat, 30% Protein - usually go over on fat, but I try to get about 98g of protein for 1,300 calories; when I was eating 1,200 calories it was 90g of protein
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    You can ask 100 people this question and get 100 different answers. I am following IIFYM with 0.8 gr protein per lb weight and works for me. That translates to 45% carbs, 27% fat and 28% protein for me.