Wii vs. Kinect

Options
My family has a Wii and an XBOX 360 and we are looking into getting either the balance board for the Wii or the Kinect bar for the XBOX. This way we can get some exercise in without having to go out in the 100+ degree heat!

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, recommendations that anyone can give me on which one is best. I don't want to buy one and THEN find out that the other one is better.

Thanks, in advance!!!

Replies

• Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've use both and Kinect is far better for calorie burn. I had the Wii fit with balance board, and it was good that it weighed you, but i never felt that i was pushed with it.
    So i'd recommend Kinect
  • hopesOFskinny
    Options
    the kinect is better. you keeps you more active and it more enjoyable than the wii. the wii you can cheat but with the kinect you have to keep on moving plus theres no controller so you have to use your body. pick the kinect, you wont be disappointed!!! i love mine : )
  • StevenJS86
    StevenJS86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kinect is BETTER!!!!! in so many ways :)!
  • hrigsby
    hrigsby Posts: 31
    Options
    Great question. Now I know we will invest in the Kinect! Thanks everyone.
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    The Kinect is definitively a better workout. However, the Wii has some really cool features that pop up as you go further! The wii is probably if you want a very light workout, and the Kinect is probably good if you want a good workout
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i like my wii fit because i dont feel tempted to try and cheat it (would only be cheating myself) and i work out on it most days and am now 67 lb down in just under 4 months, i dont feel it matters which one you get as long as you willing to put the effort in x
  • luv2bmini
    luv2bmini Posts: 3
    Options
    I have both but have only used the wii...You do have to be self motivated for the wii.(which I struggle with and is the reason it has taken me so long to work at it) I do like the scale on the wii because I have seen the daily results. That has motivated me more than anything. Also the support I have from my friends on here has been an inspiration to keep going.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Kinect. I've got "Your shape : Fitness evolved" and it's brilliant :smile: I'm even learning Tai Chi with it!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Kinect, hands down. Every game has you up and moving a lot more than the Wii, since your whole body IS the controller. Dance Central is a fun way to burn calories also, without it feeling like exercise!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i've never used to Wii board. BUT we bought a kinect along with a new Xbox and it was a total waste of our money. our living room isn't big enough to even use the kinect you have to stand on the bed by the opposite wall of the TV for it to see you.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    definitely the KINECT but you do have to have enough room for it...for optimal performance you need to have a cleared area in front of the tv/kinect that is 6-9 feet...the system cannot detect you if you are too close, too far back and too far left/right...it will not work well in a smaller space....the best feature is NO CONTROLLER and some games/features are voice activated also.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use EA Active 2 on my Wii. I find the Wii Fit game too light/easy. You can also get EA Active 2 for the XBOX 360.
  • Horuke
    Horuke Posts: 11
    Options
    I like the kinect, it gives more freedom of movement and not needing controllers is really nice, so you don't have to worry about accidentally throwing it during a workout. Only downside I have is the space requirement. I have to move some chairs when I use it.

As for games I've tried dance central, Zumba Fitness, and UFC personal trainer. The first two I traded in, the third I still have.

Dance Central was decent; it had a good tutorial that fully explained the movements, during game play it also had a list of upcoming movements and the dance moves were fun and the game clearly showed you what parts you were doing wrong and had a calorie counter but the music was all most entirely rap and hip-hop which I personally cannot stand, but if you like that kind of music it's a good choice.

Zumba Fitness was absolutely horrible, the music was terrible and the tutorial was not helpful at all; it started you off slow with simple foot work, built on that a little bit, then jumped you straight into very complicated movements at full tempo. The game also didn't do a very good job of showing you which parts of the movements you were doing wrong. Might be good if you already know the movements.

UFC personal trainer is pretty good; it has a work out calendar with 30 or 60 day programs for strength, endurance, or weight loss. Focus mitt mini games, speed bag and heavy bag simulations, 15-30 minute routines. It gives you a traditional workout but I find it very effective. After working out for a month at the gym running and weights I was surprised how sore I felt after my first 30 minute session. Though I had noticed some bugs, the game pauses on me 10 sec every 5 min, response time was a little slow but that was fixed by disconnecting from xbox live, the other problem is that the game losses me sometimes on the floor exercises and sometimes doesn't count what I'm doing. Hopefully they can patch that. Out of all the workout games I've tried I like this one the best.
  • dre55555
    dre55555 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for the advice...I think we are going to go with the Kinect....when we can afford it.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love xbox kinect!!! Way better in my opinion. The games that are out are so much fun.... Especially the dancing ones :)
  • mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    Options
    I have both.

I LOVE wii fit, and I use it all the time to track my weight, and it's FANASTIC if you're looking to strengthen your core and if you use it every day YOU WILL lose weight... click out this post from someone that tracked it: http://www.teach42.com/2008/06/03/lose-weight-with-the-wii-fit-the-numbers-dont-lie/ I lost weight too and i felt stronger

Kinect is great for more aerobic type workouts. I have Zumba, but don't recommend it, because the face recognition is HORRIBLE and it doesn't follow you well, so your score doesn't really reflect what you're doing, and it also tends to log you out when you do turns, which is annoying because you don't get achievements.

But Men and Women's health has a game that comes highly recommended: http://arrowdynamicmom.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/your-shape-for-kinect-now-has-mens-healthwomens-health-tie-in/

It all comes down to preference. Both are good for different reasons and as long as you use them, you'll get results from either
  • lustyrusty
    lustyrusty Posts: 46
    Options
    I swear by EA Sports active on the wii! There's a great range of things to do and it suits the workout to your weight and stats. Good luck which ever you choose!