Body recomp macros HELP!

Options
So I'm pretty confused. I'm 5'11" 197lbs and 23 years old. I've started lifting heavy in an attempt to do so body recomp. I'm having a hard time understanding where my macros need to be from what I gather on training days I need 2,496 calories , 204g protein, 47g fat, and 315 carbs. On rest days I need 1,664 calories, 204 G protein, 71 g fat, and 53 g carbs.

I've been having a hard time figuring this out. The rest day sounds about right but I just want to make sure the training day macros are on point. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have such a huge swing from training to non training days. Add everything up for the week and take an average. It also looks like you are carb cycling, not really sure how much that is going to get you, unless you are already pretty lean.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't need to calorie or carb cycle to recomp - that's just an unnecessary complication and restriction.
    Train hard, eat the right amount to maintain your weight, be patient - that's all that is required.

Macros I like for flexibility are:
    1g protein for 1lb of estimated LBM (minimum)
    0.4g fat per lb of bodyweight (minimum)
    Carbs fall wherever they fall within your overall calorie allowance.
  • VictoriaHazelwood
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't need to calorie or carb cycle to recomp - that's just an unnecessary complication and restriction.
    Train hard, eat the right amount to maintain your weight, be patient - that's all that is required.

Macros I like for flexibility are:
    1g protein for 1lb of estimated LBM (minimum)
    0.4g fat per lb of bodyweight (minimum)
    Carbs fall wherever they fall within your overall calorie allowance.

That's pretty much what I had been doing, but as I was doing more and more research they reccomended changing things. Thanks so much!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There is a really poor blog on MFP about recomp - it's awful really, illogical and over-complex without actually putting any metrics on what advantage calorie cycling would bring.

Eric Helms is a much better read if you have the time for a long article...
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

His phrase "Remember, nutrition is permissive, and muscle growth cannot be force fed" is a nice reminder where focus should be.

And also...
    "Conclusion - The main thing we want you, dear reader, to take home from this article is this – recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters"

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Don't over complicate it, start a recomp by eating at maintenance (TDEE) everyday and adjust from there.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    There is a really poor blog on MFP about recomp - it's awful really, illogical and over-complex without actually putting any metrics on what advantage calorie cycling would bring.

Eric Helms is a much better read if you have the time for a long article...
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

His phrase "Remember, nutrition is permissive, and muscle growth cannot be force fed" is a nice reminder where focus should be.

And also...
    "Conclusion - The main thing we want you, dear reader, to take home from this article is this – recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters"

Pretty good read!