Coconut oil?

Options
I got a tub of this free once with my protein powder. I am unsure really what to do with it. I fried Spinach in it once and it was foul. I hear of people putting this in coffee??? What exactly do I do with coconut oil? Does it really help move fat?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    no, it's just oil.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with the veggies. Or i use it as beard oil, dab will keep your beard nice and soft with a light sheen.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I replace butter with it in baking. I also make soap with it.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with the veggies. Or i use it as beard oil, dab will keep your beard nice and soft with a light sheen.

Its also apparently very good for the hands after a heavy dead lifting session. But seriously its got a lot of hype, almost like its some sort of miracle oil.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Some people use it for cooking or adding to smoothies or coffee. I've used it as moisturiser and as a hair conditioner. About once a week, I would put in my hair of an evening, left in until morning and shampoo next morning...I didn't use a normal conditioner. Also good for putting bounce back in curls if not using as conditioner. Rub small amount on hands..run through hair. I stopped using it when I had my wrist in plaster I must get back to using it.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    So really it has damn all to do with fat loss as the hype claims?
  • dave_in_ni
    edited September 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

Nothing causes fat loss except eating less calories than your body burns. Coconut oil will do absolutely nothing to help that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I generally don't need any fat with what I eat anyway, so really coconut oil is no more beneficial than say sunflower oil or even butter. Probably more marketing hype as its expensive compared to regular sunflower oil for example
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I cook with it, make granola, use it as a moisturizer and I use it in my hair.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Nothing causes fat loss except eating less calories than your body burns. Coconut oil will do absolutely nothing to help that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I generally don't need any fat with what I eat anyway, so really coconut oil is no more beneficial than say sunflower oil or even butter. Probably more marketing hype as its expensive compared to regular sunflower oil for example

If you are concerned about fatty acid profiles (omega 6:omega 3 ratios, MCTs, etc.) or smoke point, you may prefer one over the other at various times.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'd throw it out or use it as massage oil
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's a wonder cure for cracked dry heels in my personal opinion
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I replace butter with it in baking. I also make soap with it.
    Do you eat the soap? Did it help you lose weight? :o

The coconut oil makes it too high in fat! lol
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I cook with it, I eat it raw in place of butter, I use it as moisturizer, eye make up remover, massage oil... It's very versatile and delicious. Just like apple cider vinegar and brown sugar I keep it in my kitchen as well as my bathroom.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use it for my sauté oil when I make bourbon chicken, walnut chicken, fried green tomatoes, etc. It has a slightly sweet taste and lends itself to savory recipes that use honey, brown sugar, etc. I find that I need a fraction of the oil I'd normally use because it does not seem to get soaked up by the food as much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I add it to smoothies if i need more fat. It turns a normal cup of coffee into a filling drink, along with butter and cream which is Bullet proof coffee, but you must blend it with a stick blender.

Some afternoons when i'm peckish or cravings hit i'll have a tablespoon of it and the cravings/hunger disappear.

As for weight loss benefits, that would be a NO imo. Some people swear that it helps them though, but we don't know what other diet tweaks they have made...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I like it in stir fries, making popcorn, my coconut cake recipe, and use it also as a moisturizer for face, body, and a hair conditioner. Works great for taking off my makeup, too, but no magical weight loss properties, I'm afraid.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    its great for cracked rough feet.