Coconut oil?

Options

Replies

• BettyWoodlock
    BettyWoodlock Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DON'T throw it away! Coconut is very healthy. It's the good fat you want to use. Great for many things, cooking & baking, skin, hair growth, nails. I use it to make toothpaste. I also use it to body wrap before bed it works wonders, I don't care what anybody says! Put it to good use mate the hype is F*ucking real!
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use it as a moisturizer for my skin and hair
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Removes waterproof mascara really well. :p
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's fat and will add calories. I eat it to help prevent weight loss. It's good for cooking, but only if you like it. Some people like it on their skin or hair. I love it for shaving.
  • mhausler93
    mhausler93 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I feed it to my dogs, and use it as a massage oil for my pitbull who had terrible skin allergies.

It's also a great moisturizer.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I got a tub of this free once with my protein powder. I am unsure really what to do with it. I fried Spinach in it once and it was foul. I hear of people putting this in coffee??? What exactly do I do with coconut oil? Does it really help move fat?

I use it for baking, stir fries, chicken and shrimp, greasing sheets or casserole, goes great on popcorn with a pinch of icing sugar. I'm looking into trying out some homemade dressings this next time I buy some. I switched to coconut oil years ago when my cholesterol started to creep up, and the change made a big difference (I hate olive oil anyway, sbitwo birds with one stone). As others stated, it also has a myriad of non-consumption uses.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    DON'T throw it away! Coconut is very healthy. It's the good fat you want to use. Great for many things, cooking & baking, skin, hair growth, nails. I use it to make toothpaste. I also use it to body wrap before bed it works wonders, I don't care what anybody says! Put it to good use mate the hype is F*ucking real!

Coconut oil toothpaste sounds just plain awful.

I do use coconut oil for making popcorn with. It's delicious! :)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

Coconut oil toothpaste sounds just plain awful.

I do use coconut oil for making popcorn with. It's delicious! :)

Lol, I tried oil pulling for a while. Toothpaste isn't as awful as it sounds. Maybe add something like food grade peppermint oil to make it taste better.

I have to be careful when I consume coconut oil, so I only use it whenever I am baking something. I mainly use it as a deep conditioner. It makes my hair so soft!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use it on my face & skin in general.It's a good make up remover too. My hubby rubs it on his hair, which is dry. Also i give it to my dogs & rub it on them.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,716 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The New Zealand Heart Foundation issued an evidence-based statement on coconut oil and heart health: http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/news-blogs-stories/press-releases/coconut-oil-and-the-heart

In Australia, the Heart Foundation recommends avoiding coconut oil due to its high saturated fat content (around 85-90 per cent saturated fat). Saturated fat increases total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol, and increases the risk of heart disease. Saturated fats are not an essential part of the human diet: http://daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot-topics-in-nutrition/coconut-oil/

An overview:
    http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Healthy-foods/clearing-up-the-confusion-around-coconut-oil-20160909
  • fatty2sixpack
    fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I bought a pound of coconut oil about 2 weeks ago and it is still in the kitchen completely full cuz I don't know what to use it on. I bought it cuz it is said to be good fat for your diet. I'll use it on stir fries if I ever make any and sprinkle it over chicken breasts and fish fillets. 1 tbsp of it is 130 calories. Reading your posts has made me realize that there's not much I can do with it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Cradle cap. And nappy rash.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use it to pop my popcorn in!
  • emk129
    emk129 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

Lots of great benefits!! . In fact my coffee has traces of coconut oil and green earth extract in it. I admittedly use it mostly for body care, I use it to moisturize my skin, my scalp and in lieu of hair product.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I give it to my dog for constipation.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's a healthy fat that has many uses but isn't a miracle cure if that's what you're asking. I use it for cooking and as a massage oil. Here's a bunch of uses: http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/