question

Options
I'm new to this dieting and computed my food intake but it says I'm not getting enough calories but I feel fine. I eat greens and boiled salmon. I am wanting to lost weight and have lost 6lbs this week but still confused.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MFP wants to make sure you lose weight in a healthy manner by giving your body enough fuel (calories and nutrients). If you try to close your diary below 1200 calories, you will get this warning. Eating this low can lead to muscle loss, fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, organ issues, and other issues that come from malnutrition. Please try to eat at least 1500 calories a day, if not the goal it gave you. Losing 6 pounds in your first week is normal due to water weight that is lost, but afterwards you shouldn't be aiming for more than 2 pounds per week depending on how much you have to lose.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    You can feel fine and still be eating too little (for nutrition, for muscle preservation, for maintenance of immune system, skin repair, etc., etc.). Most of those things are not going to be an issue after just one week, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, but will eventually become issues if you continue to under eat long-term.

You'll get better advice if you provide more information, such as your weight, your height, what your daily activity level is, how much you are exercising, how long you have been restricting your calories, how much you weight you have lost over that period, how many calories you are consuming, and how you are calculating the calories you consume (are you weighing your food)?
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I sometimes talk to a nutritionist...She informs me that when we are in starvation mode (eating less calories) our bodies hold on to everything because it does not know what it will get next time. This gives you the feeling of being full ( That is my problem). So, what I need to do (is make sure I get the same amount of calories at each meal on a daily basis). For me, that's difficult. Can you believe it? Some people find it hard to eat less and I find it hard to eat more. How about you?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    I sometimes talk to a nutritionist...She informs me that when we are in starvation mode (eating less calories) our bodies hold on to everything because it does not know what it will get next time. This gives you the feeling of being full ( That is my problem). So, what I need to do (is make sure I get the same amount of calories at each meal on a daily basis). For me, that's difficult. Can you believe it? Some people find it hard to eat less and I find it hard to eat more. How about you?
    If that were true, people would never starve to death. There's no such thing as starvation mode.

You can bump up your calories by adding calorie-dense things like nuts and butter. You don't need to eat the same amount every meal. Your calories just need to be high enough when averaged over the course of the week.

As for hunger, sometimes I'm hungry and sometimes I'm not. I just eat more when I'm hungry and less when I'm not. Some people with weight problems don't have great hunger signals, especially when starting a new eating plan.
  • bigboy2533
    bigboy2533 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm going to increase my calories as well as my cardio and weights. And also aim for 2lbs each week from this point on.
    Heigt-5'9"
    Weight- 248
    Goal-180
    Thank you to the people that responded.