Too few calories?

Hi folks - I've been on MFP now for a few weeks and I was hoping to lose at least 2 pounds per week. I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 204 lbs (have lost 17 so far!). I have been following a pretty strict 1200 calorie/day plan and have been trying to eat pretty much just whole foods, nothing processed. I drink about 4-6 glasses of water daily (no diet soda or anything other than the odd glass of 1% which I count). For some reason, this week, I only seemed to lose 1 lb! I know, better than gaining and I'm reaping the benefit of eating healthy but I wondered if maybe I'm eating too few calories? I'm not hungry based on what I'm eating but feeling a little discouraged :( I will be joining our local gym in a week or so but other than that, I have an office job and don't really get any exercise. Sorry to be so long winded but I know some of you have been on here for a while and thought you may be able to offer me some advice! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Ninjaeema
    Ninjaeema Posts: 21 Member
    For me personally, I find that even if I restrict calories, unless I'm also working out, weight loss is slow and minimal. What amount of calories does MFP recommend for you?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    What @IAmSimplyKriss said - weight loss won't be linear. Some weeks you lose more, some weeks you lose less. As long as the average trend is down, you're making progress.

You don't have to eat the default minimum (1200 calories before exercise). You don't have to eat "clean" whatever your definition is. You just need to eat less than your maintenance (total daily energy expenditureTDEE). Choosing less processed foods most of the time is great. They are filling & nutritious. But leaving room for a treat everyday will help you stick to your plan, and help prepare you for maintenance. Someday you will need to practice portion control for ALL foods. Not just diet ones.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Nope. If you were eating too little, you'd still be losing weight...because science :) You're doing great. You won't lose that two pounds every week. Maybe you won't lose anything one week. But it'll whoosh off eventually, as long as your logging is accurate.
  • Sue8822
    Sue8822 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks all - appreciate the feedback!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Sue8822 wrote: »
    Thanks all - appreciate the feedback!

Muah! Good luck!

Also, don't forget about hormones/water retention!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    In the past 7 days, you have one whole day not logged and one day partially logged.
    You also appear to measure using measuring cups.
    It is entirely possible that your intake is higher than you expect.
    But, you are still losing which is good. It just might explain why you aren't hitting the 2lbs a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I also misread and thought you have been losing 1 lb a week. If it is only this week, I wouldn't sweat it. Like it was said above, weight loss is not linear.