Gaining Everything by Losing

Options
JessicaMcB
JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
edited September 2016 in Success Stories
I've been working on maintenance energy balance for the last month after surpassing goal and only now getting around to writing this!

When I met my husband eight years ago I was a fairly slim 145lbs (5'9"). We both loved food and neither of us was terribly active and the weight began to creep. By the time we got married two and a half years later I was just barely under 200lbs. Ten months to the day of our wedding we had our oldest daughter and I left the hospital over 250lbs.

I lost bits and bobs here and there between having our oldest and our middle girl but it wasn't until after I had our third child in three years that I realized what I'd done to myself. I was quite literally killing myself with food. I was setting the worst example ever for my daughters. My husband was married to someone who was nothing like who he fell in love with.

In February of this year, when our youngest was six months old, I started following a ketogenic diet (disclaimer: this is not necessary to successful weight loss, a deficit that you can maintain is) and doing HIIT three times a week. Slowly I transitioned into minor strength training and into my new love, running.

I can now happily run 60+km a week. I take my girls out on trail nearly every day. I am living my life again. By choosing to value myself again and learning for the first time  a lot about how to eat (as crazy as that sounds) I have gained everything in the process of losing 86lbs. It was not always easy (I have very severe ortho issues) but it was worth it.

SW: 213lbs (Size 16/18)
CW: 127lbs (Size 0/00)

4iij396tbt49.jpg

Replies

• DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Hard work pays off. Congrats!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Glad you found your way… you got it done.. I think you even have room to gain if you wanted and you'd still look marvelous. Congratulations on your success..that was a lot of hard work.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, you look great!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You look like two different people! Amazing. My stats a little like yours (135, 5'10) though I was 38 when I had my child. Lost 40 when my kid turned 9 with Weight Watchers then gained it and 50 more. Nine years later at 250, 56 years old, I'm ready to do this again. Can I look at your Food Diary? You don't have to share but it would be awesome.
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome!!!!!!
  • JudyKenova6437
    JudyKenova6437 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Did u do keto for all ypur loss? How long did it take u? What did a typical menu look like for you? Do you still eat that way now?
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Did u do keto for all ypur loss? How long did it take u? What did a typical menu look like for you? Do you still eat that way now?

Yes Judy I lost all my weight in the last seven months since starting keto and have no intention of going back to carbs, they hold no allure for me anymore and make me feel like garbage.

I am a big seafood fan so it isn't unusual for me to have 5 or so ounces of baked salmon with zucchini and a spinach salad for breakfast and steaks and shrimp with a cauliflower dish and another salad for dinner.
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story. You look so happy in the second picture!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    What an inspiring story. You look so happy in the second picture!

Thank you, I went back and forth about whether to post at all but hoped my story might help someone struggling with starting to see that it's doable. I am much happier now!
  • Lilkipi
    Lilkipi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've JUST started on Keto. I was going to tell you that you look fantastic, but I can tell you FEEL fantastic. And that's what the ultimate goal is for me! I have 6 kiddos (oldest is 16, youngest is 3 months) and it's time for a little loving myself. Thank you for sharing!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Lilkipi wrote: »
    I've JUST started on Keto. I was going to tell you that you look fantastic, but I can tell you FEEL fantastic. And that's what the ultimate goal is for me! I have 6 kiddos (oldest is 16, youngest is 3 months) and it's time for a little loving myself. Thank you for sharing!

Good for you, prioritizing yourself as a mom is so difficult! You'll be feeling fine in no time ;)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I do borderline keto as well. I'm done having babies which is why I restarted my journey (I got halfway there 5 years ago then got pregnant).
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Awesome! I do borderline keto as well. I'm done having babies which is why I restarted my journey (I got halfway there 5 years ago then got pregnant).

This is exactly what prompted me to start as well, being "done" is a powerful motivator to take your life back!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well done you! You look fab and happy!
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your transformation is amazing!
  • terenceadavenport4265
    Options
    That's amazing! What a transformation! You look great! Keep it up!
  • NayomixOrizu
    NayomixOrizu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just 19 years old Jessy.I've been seeing your before and afters on thread till I followed up your post.You inspire me.I've been plump all my life and I want to take a stand and decide that I want a better and healthier figure for myself.I've been on MFP for 22 days straight and lost only 3lbs.Its getting me so frustrated that I wanna give up.Im just 166lbs at 5'9.5.And I wanna weigh 125.Its been my goal weight.How long did it take you? How much exercise did you do and how much calories did you eat?What was your deficit like? Did it get to a part where you weren't losing any more weight?Pls help me.You're like my super woman.If you did it may be I could too.I want just 41lbs off.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm just 19 years old Jessy.

I've been on MFP for 22 days straight and lost only 3lbs.

Nayomix - 1 lb per week is perfect. I know you have probably heard this before... but you say you have been plump all your life... give it a little time to melt away.

Good Luck!
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! awesome awesome!! Congrats to you!!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    I'm just 19 years old Jessy.I've been seeing your before and afters on thread till I followed up your post.You inspire me.I've been plump all my life and I want to take a stand and decide that I want a better and healthier figure for myself.I've been on MFP for 22 days straight and lost only 3lbs.Its getting me so frustrated that I wanna give up.Im just 166lbs at 5'9.5.And I wanna weigh 125.Its been my goal weight.How long did it take you? How much exercise did you do and how much calories did you eat?What was your deficit like? Did it get to a part where you weren't losing any more weight?Pls help me.You're like my super woman.If you did it may be I could too.I want just 41lbs off.

I agree with the PP that a 1lb a week rate of loss is a good rate, you're doing well! It took me seven months but I had different things in play (breastfeeding for example) that you likely do not. I never stalled out but again, I had/have a lot in play with a very active mom life. Hang in there, you've got this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!