Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

habits vs genetics?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Or as I told a church friend who cares, "I knew how to cook and how to eat. I didn't know what to cook or why to eat." It was ignorance, habits, upbringing, culture. Money and cheap food will prove to be a limiting factor on population. PWS is an extremely rare genetic condition. Most of us have relatives with one or another genetic impediment and those of us who don't might not know how lucky we are.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Genetics.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    So I woke up the other day with this thought...

Could body type evolution be a neuro-biologic response? Could apple, pear, hourglass... shapes be connected to how our genes form thought?

The mind muscle connection may help one target areas better. There is purposeful focus in this process. For instance, to hip thrust using the glutes (not the quads or hams), one has to activate the glutes. So I was wondering that maybe certain people have a subconscious secondary focus gene that may form the body shape or are predisposed to activating certain muscles over others.

Is it survival of the fittest that has shaped our current body types? And can the next generations evolve into a different body type through conscious mind muscle connection? Is sitting at a desk all day forming a new body type?

Sitting at a desk? Will not evolve...
  • in_the_stars
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    So I woke up the other day with this thought...

Could body type evolution be a neuro-biologic response? Could apple, pear, hourglass... shapes be connected to how our genes form thought?

The mind muscle connection may help one target areas better. There is purposeful focus in this process. For instance, to hip thrust using the glutes (not the quads or hams), one has to activate the glutes. So I was wondering that maybe certain people have a subconscious secondary focus gene that may form the body shape or are predisposed to activating certain muscles over others.

Is it survival of the fittest that has shaped our current body types? And can the next generations evolve into a different body type through conscious mind muscle connection? Is sitting at a desk all day forming a new body type?

Sitting at a desk? Will not evolve...

Slow twitch, fast... eating what your ancestors ate, on and on... Listen to that EV Guy's post, I'm too far in genetics research to read the current PAP studies. I apologize.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Genetics definitely plays a small part. I have 2 boys, both with SN and no off switch with food. One is long and lanky, like his dad, the other is dumpy, like me. They carry weight very differently and the one who takes after me has a bit of a belly and chunky thighs. He doesn't have his brother's long limbs and wide, angular shoulders. Even their dad, who has been on this weight loss journey with me, stayed like something skinny that had swallowed a beach ball, rather than got properly fat all over.

Habit influences how that plays out, though. I have close family who are all on the heavy side, save one son, who is a high level athlete, trains regularly and does moderate what he eats at mealtimes. He's inherited the height from his dad's side but is built like a very long rake!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself how many morbidly obese people existed 100 years ago.

This is interesting as the culture of skinny = attractive is relatively new. Obesity has historically been a sign of wealth and affluence, which as you state destroys the "It's my genes" narrative.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    That was heartbreaking...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As I said above, I think there's a genetic component as to why some people seem to be more prone to obesity (including the choices that lead to it) and I also agree that it would have been evolutionarily favorable -- being able to eat when not immediately in need of food certainly is, not some kind of malfunction caused by tasty food or such nonsense -- but I think sunnybeaches is making a good point, because so often people take things like genetics and "set point" and all that to suggest that we have no control over our weights. That the average BMI has changed so much shows that it's not just "natural body shape," as some claim.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself how many morbidly obese people existed 100 years ago.

Well 100 years ago would be 1916 and the answer is ... mostly rich people
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I believe in the effects of genetics. You can maximize your potentials but once you hit about 50, the genetics kick in and you look more and more like your aunts and uncles.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I believe in the effects of genetics. You can maximize your potentials but once you hit about 50, the genetics kick in and you look more and more like your aunts and uncles.

If your aunts and uncles became less active and had portion creep, sure.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    What do you believe is more of a factor , habits or genetics?

One has only to visit most other economically advantaged countries to know it is habit. As for the debate, every person is different. Some people are genetically more predisposed to be good at forming habits.