What do you eat NOW when you're sick?

Options
I have a little bug, kinda like a cold. I'm not sure what I should eat. I want some chicken soup, but not the sodium.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    chicken soup
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Low sodium chicken soup or broth, half orange juice/half water, ginger ale or homemade ginger syrup in hot water or seltzer.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Usually saltines or oats for me, only because I tend to lose my appetite for anything else when I'm sick.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I'm sick, I go with whatever sounds appetizing, because at least I know that probably won't make me feel worse. I suspect we crave certain things when we're sick for a reason....something your body is needing to help restore itself. Just my opinion, though. Could be that its the electrolytes from the sodium, even. For me, it's usually saltines, chicken soup, and ginger alemail that sound the best.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually make soup with whatever veggies I have on hand. Usually carrots, onion, garlic, squash, maybe celery, mushrooms, peppers, and some greens. I also keep dehydrated vegetable soup mix on hand. Throw in a can of chicken.
    I also try to take extra vitamin c and garlic/acv/honey
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I watched my sodium intake throughout the day do I could have a can of my favorite thai soup. Best thing I could have done to my congestion it seems. I generally don't have an appetite when I'm sick though, so that helps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when i have a cold i usually buy a watermelon and the makings for 'real' garlic bread. then i go home and get into bed for the duration of it.

i have no idea if it's nutritionally sensible, but it always feels to me like it is. my dad's folk remedy for an oncoming cold was 'eat a raw onion, drink a pot of hot tea and go to bed.' he swore that he'd sweat it all out overnight and wake up feeling fine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have a little bug, kinda like a cold. I'm not sure what I should eat. I want some chicken soup, but not the sodium.

I would eat soup, drink tea... whatever I felt like eating I guess.

You could make your own chicken soup pretty easily.
    You could buy lower sodium soup or lower sodium chicken broth.
    If you don't have a health condition that requires you to eat low sodium then don't worry about it.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For some reason, anytime I get the flu, I want McDonalds. I don't like their food, hardly ever eat it, but that's all I want when it's the flu. Colds, I'll eat whatever. Just the flu. Go figure.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Lol I have zero appetite when I'm sick so I barely eat at all then. Maybe one bowl of oatmeal a day. And broth the rest of the time.
  • izzyrhunt
    izzyrhunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick to my stomach: Cereal bars, oatmeal, toast, bananas, sweet potatoes, rice, small portions of nuts, and sometimes yogurt
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I often find soft spicy and warm soft food works well. I get cold that become bronchitis really easily if I cough so I'm treating the sore throat and congestion trying to avoid coughing, so sometimes soup and sometimes something with refried beans and very hot salsa. I discovered that by accident a couple years ago - it relieves cold symptoms for up to an hour for me.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    When i'm sick enough to need a day off work, that day is a free day. If I want icecream, custard and soup - that's what I have. For me, one day is not going to ruin my progress and i'm going to feel much better having what I want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    Usually saltines or oats for me, only because I tend to lose my appetite for anything else when I'm sick.

Last time I was sick I couldn't eat anything but oatmeal, so I relate!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Every doggone thing in sight. Ha! When I have a cold, for some reason, I'm always starving, and I just eat whatever sounds good. Which is everything.

If I'm a little sick to my stomach, though, and don't WANT to eat? I'm into the stereotypical "sick" foods. Chicken soup and saltines. Sometimes fruit is appetizing.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    generally when I get sick my body's reaction is "quick, throw up!" so I only drink water and chicken broth.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I can't stand can soup anymore :( I'll usually just eat the same stuff I usually eat... unfortunately I'm usually starving when I'm sick too (unless it's a stomach bug, obviously), so it's pretty bad.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Whatever I can stummack, listen to your body and feed it whilst it recovers then go back to your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Like a little cold or something? Pretty much whatever I normally eat. Stomach bug or something then I'm usually stuck with broth and crackers or something if I can't hold anything down.

I make a lot of homemade soups and stews, especially this time of year and into winter so I eat them a lot regardless of whether I'm sick or well.
  • dothefreddy
    dothefreddy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Soup usually. If I don't have any canned on hand I'll throw a chicken thigh or two in the crock pot along with some veggies. Strip chicken meat from bones and boom a simple soup.