Stranger's remarks

Options
Perhaps there has been something in the water, but this month out of nowhere no less than three strangers have made comments relating to my weight.

Comment one, in an elevator: "do you realise how much healthier you would be if you lost weight?"
Comment two, in a taxi: "You have such a pretty face, but I don't like bigger girls. I don't understand why people think it's attractive. Imagine if you were thin. Wow."
Comment three, while drinking a smoothie: "I hope you realise that isn't just a drink. It's a meal on it's own." (insert once over and snicker)

Now, I have a thick skin, but I have no idea why people feel the need to talk to a stranger like this. I'm focused on becoming fit, I'm watching what I eat, but sometimes these comments really throw me.

How do you deal with these interactions? It's turning my positive determination into a negative self-dislike spin cycle.

Replies

• Daenae18
    Daenae18 Posts: 29 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's terrible to say, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to! It seems like every time I mention an interaction like this to someone 'normal' they look at me like I'm crazy. I might do what you do, and give a blunt, polite reply instead of pretending I didn't hear.

I can't believe what some people say! An overweight celebrity? What on earth!
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask if i was pregnant once (wasn't and never have been). I was taking a 5 hour bus journey in the searing heat, despite being self conscious I had short leggings on and a strappy top. An hour in the bus crashed, thank fully no one was seriously hurt. We were carted off the motorway and attended to by paramedics just incase. Whilst waiting for another bus to take us to another bus station a guy approached me saying he was going to miss a job interview. I offered my phone for him to use and he did. After he hung up he asked 'so when is the baby due?'. I was gob smacked, visibly too. When I asked him what on earth did he mean he just repeated the question and when I said no he just laughed. Talk about making a bad day worse!
  • fposte2016
    fposte2016 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Daenae18 wrote: »
    It's terrible to say, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to! It seems like every time I mention an interaction like this to someone 'normal' they look at me like I'm crazy. I might do what you do, and give a blunt, polite reply instead of pretending I didn't hear.

I can't believe what some people say! An overweight celebrity? What on earth!

I know, right? I had assumed something about my face said "please tell me every idle thought you have about my appearance," so it's both reassuring and enervating to hear other people deal with this too. I do live in the us, in the New York area (no bless her heart American southern politeness or uk blustering tact here), so it is a bit of a free for all, though I've had fun interactions with strangers too and seen people not blink an eye at truly spectacle worthy sights. The naked cowboy is just a guy at the office, but my extra 40 lbs (now 30) of chub are gawk-worthy, I guess.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    This kind of personal intrusiveness is so annoying.

My approach is to walk away. I would love to use one of the many retorts that come to mind in such situations, but I fear that someone with such blurred boundaries is also somewhat unstable and ANGTFT.
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when people think it's okay to say things like that.
    I was wine tasting this weekend and I had someone tell me I should be able to drink more because... well- look at me! I was astonished!
  • glue4piggy
    glue4piggy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had a few of those folks, too. Thankfully in the Midwest folks tend to be too polite to say anything, but there were a few.

Luckily I'm quite thick skinned, and the comments were mainly from people I didn't know and didn't care about, so their opinion of me was well and truly irrelevant.
  • jonnucke
    jonnucke Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What the actual heck is wrong with people. I would never think it was ok to say anything like that to someone. let alone someone i dont know. You look great and shouldnt let those comments even effect you mood.