Ketogenic Diet?

Options
Have any of you tried a ketogenic/ketosis diet? I've heard mixed reviews, but it was suggested that it may be helpful for neuropathy and MS. Still doing research, but wanted to see if anyone else has had any success with it?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lot's of folks here have used a ketogenic diet. Some for weight loss, and some with medical issues in mind.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done it for a littel over a year. It's helped me a bit with my autoimmune problems. The group linked above has a few members who have had AI issues improve with that diet too. I beleieve there are a few with MS too; they are at the higher end of ketosis (ala the Wahl's protocol).
  • hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear results of this from other users. I've been interested in this approach as well. Seems a little crazy, but I've heard lots of good things, even from pro athletes.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Only ever used it as a way to lose weight quickly, which has worked ok most times, but in general, I'd say it's pretty unsustainable as you have to cut full food groups out on a mid-long term basis. If you like fruit, this can be an issue. Also, it does dick about with your energy levels, so if you like working out, you can end up feeling about 75%-80% of your normal energy levels due to the reduced carbohydrate and glycogen storage.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Research it and try it. It won't agree with everyone, but I do know a lot of people who don't do it right and have issues. If you want a pretty good start to your research look up Abel James and the Wild Diet.

PS - it's not just eat as much bacon as you possibly can ;)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been keto for a few months. It solves my digestive issues. Haven't had to take a pill for it since starting. Just do your research about it first. A lot of people rage quit because of the adaption phase. (Keto-flu and so on, which is simply electrolyte imbalance and can be solved with salt.)

Also it helps me adhere to a deficit (it reduces your appetite), and it pretty much eliminates cravings.

ETA : I also do weight lifting on keto. While my progress went down slightly (you lift lighter with less carbs), I'm still progressing, just on a lower level.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am following LCHF and finally I have found a way to eat where I am not hungry all the time, not obsessing about food. Suits me perfectly and my energy levels are just fine. No issues there.
  • FitForMe2014
    FitForMe2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 2 months now. I started it at the request of my Dr. because of chronic IBS, migraines and joint pain. Once I got past the beginning phase, or Keto Flu, I have felt amazing! I sleep better, my mood is positive, I haven't had a migraine and I don't have to take pills to control my IBS. I do pick one day of the weekend to eat more carbs so that my glycogen is restored. It is key to drink a lot of water daily, salt your food and take a magnesium and potassium supplement as the body will flush these daily when you're in ketosis. If you're not supplementing your electrolytes, you may become tired or weak.
    It's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, but it does work! Good luck to you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just like with all diets, the biggest factor is whether or not you can sustain it. At the very least, you can always start by lowering carbs and eventually transition into keto.

If you do go straight into Keto, make sure you are eating plenty of sodium (3000 to 5000mg a day), eat plenty of fat, and get plenty of foods that are high in potassium and magnesium to help balance electrolytes.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Keto is good for children with epilepsy. Otherwise it offers no benefit over low carb diets.

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.abstract
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    Only ever used it as a way to lose weight quickly, which has worked ok most times, but in general, I'd say it's pretty unsustainable as you have to cut full food groups out on a mid-long term basis. If you like fruit, this can be an issue. Also, it does dick about with your energy levels, so if you like working out, you can end up feeling about 75%-80% of your normal energy levels due to the reduced carbohydrate and glycogen storage.
    What food groups? No. It doesn't.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    There is no food groups disallowed if you go LCHF. Fit it into your macro's like on any other plan. My energy levels btw are just fine. I can go to the gym and do a full and proper workout without any issues at all.

I can eat fruit, veg, chocolate, cheese, pizza, bacon, sausages, cream, butter, steak, salads, wraps, ice cream, hamburgers with melted cheese, bacon and avocado.
  • 2111Cai
    2111Cai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, am I missing something? I thought the ketogenic diet means you don't eat any carbs. Which mean your body can only use the little fat pellet things called 'ketones.' But some people say they've been on this for a year or even longer. Won't your body give out once you run out of the excess fat? And I thought your brain couldn't use ketones. Basically, it seems like some people are saying its a lifestyle change while others are saying it's only a short term diet. A full year doesn't sound like a short term diet to me. So which is it? Is it a lifestyle change? And how do you avoid carbohydrates? Isn't that impossible? And what do you eat?