Nighttime Runners... where are you???

Options
Who here runs in the dark?
Why do you (schedule, work, other)?
Do you use a headlamp or is your path lit?
How far are you running in the dark?

Let us know!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I joke that I have such bad eyesight that I use sonar like a bat, but I don't trust my sonar enough to run at night. :wink:
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    And do you take a tazer with you!!! I wouldn't run at night b/c I'd be too afraid :(
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I imagine there are as many safe places as unsafe. I know some running clubs head out in packs at night. That would be fun. Personally, I'm jones'n to do my nearby trail run at night when it's under 100 degrees. I'd certainly be using my mega-watt headlamp!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've never ran at night before, but I am tonight! Our local running club is hosting a summer nighttime series and tonight is their second 5K/10K out on the trail...there aren't lights on the trail, but they made Chinese lantern things to light it. Should be interesting!
  • Athena413
    Options
    I've never ran at night before, but I am tonight! Our local running club is hosting a summer nighttime series and tonight is their second 5K/10K out on the trail...there aren't lights on the trail, but they made Chinese lantern things to light it. Should be interesting!

OH! And they're providing glow-in-the-dark shirts and glow bracelets! :drinker:
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I used to run at night when I had a dog, I wouldn't now without one. I ran on the sidewalks with lots of reflective gear, with streetlights to show my path. I wouldn't run in the park ever, scary and might step on slugs ewwww!
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I run at five a.m. and it is still dark outside. And I do take my tazer. I can only run at that time because of work and school... And I am starting to build myself up to run 5 miles comfortably because I am training for the tough mudder. www.toughmudder.com
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I run in the dark, well in the early AM. I do use a headlamp. I don't generally try new routes though because by now I know the footing of my most common routes.

7.5 miles is my longest run in the dark. I like it because I live in the city and I love the quiet. Nice to be able to listen to your footsteps and breathing and not traffic.

Plus less cars. WAY less cars. Easier to breathe :)
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    This sounds like it would be kinda cool. This would be basically the only time I'd entertain the idea of running outside.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If i'm running outside I wait till 11 ish to run so its not to hot. I rather run at night than in the day cuz its more peaceful and private.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't always, but I do sometimes. Pretty much if I'm working 12-hour nights (right now) I run during the day, but when I'm working 12-hour days . . . I run at night. I like that it's nice and cool. I run faster when I run at night.

I wear an orange and yellow reflective vest and a headlamp. I've never carried a weapon since I've lived on a peaceful dirt road for years, but we just moved to suburbia so now I carry pepper spray, just in case. Never had a problem, though!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I love running at night. Calm, quite, and that's when the cool people are out. Just watch for hay bales if you take any short cuts. They come out of nowhere!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go out early, about 5:30am, other times it's abot 9pm, depends on the hubby's schedule, either way it's while the kids are in bed and nothing else is going on. The street we live on is well lit and there are a lot of houses, so I don't worry, I'm also not out on a busy street (very quiet neighborhood).
  • Athena413
    Options
    I love running at night. Calm, quite, and that's when the cool people are out. Just watch for hay bales if you take any short cuts. They come out of nowhere!

:laugh: Please tell me you speak from experience?!
  • Hamibh
    Hamibh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I much prefer running at night to during the day. Im often out running any timebetween 9 and midnight, and even a couple of days ago I was still out at 1am. Makes it more private in my opinion. It may also be to do with the fact that it takes me a while after work to motivate myself. Yes, definitely the last one.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't run at night, but run early enough in the morning that I need a headlamp. I have one that clips to the brim of any baseball cap. I also wear clothing that isn't dark and can be seen. We have also used glow in the dark bracelets...the cheap one time use ones.
    Why do I run so early? Because hubby works and I have 4 kids under the age of 8, that aren't very keen on logging miles with me during the day!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

:laugh: Please tell me you speak from experience?!

I thought I ran into the barn! It freakin hurt!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If I don't start super early in the morning on my runs, then I wait until dusk. Like today. Heading out in 30 minutes to log 12 miles. I wear a headlight sometimes, but I always wear a fluorescent yellow vest so cars can see me.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My path is only semi-lit. There are some miles without any street lights. I also tend to run on the road (tarmac is much more forgiving than concrete sidewalks), so I never wear headphones to watch out/hear cars. I also sometimes carry mace, but I forget that a lot.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't run anymore, but when I did run at night it was primarily a scheduling thing--after work and in the winter time here it's dark at 4:30 in the afternoon. Usually ran with a friend and had a reflective vest, ran mostly on city streets. In the summer it's much cooler.