Any preggers still lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Best line "You're the mother, you care more about the baby than anyone else". Next best "You're not handicapped, listen to your body" Yes!! Being pregnant is not a handicap! I hate being treated different just because I am pregnant. I'm not saying changes don't need to be made or that there are simply things you cannot or should not be doing. But, if you are being smart, doing your research, listening to your body, there is no reason you have to give EVERYTHING up.

Agreed! Too bad most people have a hard time listening to their bodies and wind up pushing too hard sometimes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    Hot

Trying to count how many ways that comment is inappropriate and offensive
  • kasia_w
    kasia_w Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and still lift. It's getting tougher but I keep going strong. I don't lift super heavy I've cut down weight and add more reps. I make sure to do at least 30 min of moderate cardio 3x a week since I can't catch my breath with the normal HIIT and interval training I was doing. My doctor said keep it up, listen to your body and it will make everything else so mich easier and better for baby in the end. I'm glad to see other mama's out there doing the same!
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    evilokc wrote: »
    Hot

Trying to count how many ways that comment is inappropriate and offensive

If thats the most offensive thing you see today your doing pretty well at life.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    kasia_w wrote: »
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and still lift. It's getting tougher but I keep going strong. I don't lift super heavy I've cut down weight and add more reps. I make sure to do at least 30 min of moderate cardio 3x a week since I can't catch my breath with the normal HIIT and interval training I was doing. My doctor said keep it up, listen to your body and it will make everything else so mich easier and better for baby in the end. I'm glad to see other mama's out there doing the same!

When was I was pregnant with my son 21 years ago, I didn't exercise. With my daughter I walked from a parking garage to my office every day 2x a day. I seriously believe the walking helped her delivery be easier. I can imagine the exercise you all are doing will greatly help your deliveries. Good luck!!! :)
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am 14 weeks pregnant and I am getting back to my old lifting routine but with less intensity! During my first trimester I was throwing up all the time so I really could not do a full program, so I did an occasional 5x5 and did some swimming. Now I've just changed my diet to a keto diet, I am no longer taking much protein, so I will not be able to lift heavy but I want to keep on doing it as a way to keep on being toned. I only do HIIT when I am in the water now, not on a treadmill.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am 16 weeks pregnant and am just starting to cut back a little on my workouts. I lifted heavy throughout my first trimester and kept my HIIT treadmill workouts, and I felt awesome. I am still doing everything as I get into my second trimester, but am trying to cut back on my heavy lifting and slow my HIIT intervals a bit. It has been hard the last couple weeks as I work out with my husband and I love the challenge of pushing myself to lift the same amount as him (he is only really getting back into lifting and working out after a 3 year hiatus).

don't cut back on your regular lifting or just modify it a little bit. I kept up my routine right until I delivered with #1 and also #2. You will bounce back like a champ after baby is born.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I did everything during my pregnancy, HIIT running, rowing, TRX, Kettlebells, etc. As i hit certain points in pregnancy my body slowed me down, I remember distinctly from 20-24 weeks my running speed just dropped, when my belly go too big in third trimester I couldn't do a lot of the ketlebell moves and rowing. I modified as I went along. I let my body decide what it could and couldn't do. I had a healthy full term pregnancy and uncomplicated easy vaginal delivery. Back to working out 1 week pp, back to running 10 km 2 weeks pp.

This is usually not recommended by the doctor. They usually recommend to wait 6 weeks after a birth to workout. Glad it worked out for you but someone else could injure themselves by not letting themselves heal properly.

Some women CAN work out right after delivery if it was an easy vaginal birth. Other women (c-sections) would definitely need to wait 6 weeks.

I felt great a week after having my son. I definitely could have worked out again, but I didn't bc I was so g'dam tired.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is a girl at my gym who is still lifting at 37 weeks. She scales her workouts and stuff but she is still feeling good and has clearance from her doctor to continue working out.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant ATM, but I do have 3 kids and lifted and worked out with each of them at different levels. Each pregnancy for me was so different in my abilities, so the whole, what works for some doesn't work for others is legitimate. I modified my lifts early with the first 2 pregnancies and was fine the 3rd (lifted until the day before delivery). I had a difficult vaginal delivery with the first and then 2 c-sections for the 2 younger kids. I needed to wait longer than 6 weeks after the vaginal and was good to go at 6 weeks with both c-sections. Remember to listen to your doctor. You chose that person for a reason to provide care to you, so rely on their advice. Keep up the great work! Your body will appreciate the dedication postpartum!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I did everything during my pregnancy, HIIT running, rowing, TRX, Kettlebells, etc. As i hit certain points in pregnancy my body slowed me down, I remember distinctly from 20-24 weeks my running speed just dropped, when my belly go too big in third trimester I couldn't do a lot of the ketlebell moves and rowing. I modified as I went along. I let my body decide what it could and couldn't do. I had a healthy full term pregnancy and uncomplicated easy vaginal delivery. Back to working out 1 week pp, back to running 10 km 2 weeks pp.

This is usually not recommended by the doctor. They usually recommend to wait 6 weeks after a birth to workout. Glad it worked out for you but someone else could injure themselves by not letting themselves heal properly.

Some women CAN work out right after delivery if it was an easy vaginal birth. Other women (c-sections) would definitely need to wait 6 weeks.

I felt great a week after having my son. I definitely could have worked out again, but I didn't bc I was so g'dam tired.

Read above. I responded to this already. *shrug*
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I am 16 weeks pregnant and am just starting to cut back a little on my workouts. I lifted heavy throughout my first trimester and kept my HIIT treadmill workouts, and I felt awesome. I am still doing everything as I get into my second trimester, but am trying to cut back on my heavy lifting and slow my HIIT intervals a bit. It has been hard the last couple weeks as I work out with my husband and I love the challenge of pushing myself to lift the same amount as him (he is only really getting back into lifting and working out after a 3 year hiatus).

don't cut back on your regular lifting or just modify it a little bit. I kept up my routine right until I delivered with #1 and also #2. You will bounce back like a champ after baby is born.

You do realize not everyone is the same right?