honest feedback---> is there a such thing as too thin?

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too thin. It isn't my place to judge you, even though you have asked me to, but if your family who loves you is concerned, maybe you should talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks.

^^ This.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    "First picture: I see a pretty girl, with nice completion, looks full of energy, looks healthy.

Second picture: I see a person who looks very tired, pale, maybe weak/malnourished. The fact that your eyes are half shut, there are lines under your eyes, and that you shirt looks like it is hanging off your body leaves me concerned. "

agreed.
    I t hink if your family is saying it, it is out of love and concern. I have a feeling you are wondering the same thing even asking the question. I would go see a doctor. I think you would look healhier with another 5-10 pounds.
    question is how do you feel?
  • susyj
    susyj Posts: 28
    Options
    can't see the pictures - if your family is concerned, maybe go get a physical and see what a doctor says. If the doctor gives you a clean bill of health and says you are at a healthy weight then show your family whatever he gives you. If the doctor says you are too thin, you need to listen to that too :)

I second that. Every body is different, but your doctor can certainly tell you what is healthy for YOU. Best wishes.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

Yolanda, thank you for this. You are very wise. Original poster ... ignore what I wrote earlier and listen to this kind lady.
  • tlaltman
    tlaltman Posts: 32
    Options
    you look very tired in the second one. I say that if you have to ask the question then you probablly know the answer and just want reasurrence. I think when ever your eating unhealthy, throwing up, or over exercising you may have to evaluate yourself. Question shouldn't be am I too thin, it should be, am I unhealthy?
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I copied/pasted the url, it said the images no longer exists or has been moved.

There's nothing wrong with having a little meat on your bones. It's when the over-abundance of meat or the lack of stamina which prevents us from doing the things we want to enjoy which causes problems.

Based on the posts by people who was able to look at your pics... you're probably just a little too thin. Pat yourself on the back! You've arrived! You're body is fine, so don't worry about it anymore! Get out and have fun doing the things your body can now handle! You've spent so much time and effort trying to watch your weight, exercise, and watch what you eat... you've finally done it! :D You have arrived at your destination! Now get out there and enjoy the things you couldn't do before!

The point is... your journey to lose weight is over. You've arrived! You've mastered food! You are in control!

Now it's time for the next stage... allowing yourself to enjoy a wide variety of foods and flavors and new activities. :)

I don't know what your starting weight was... but whatever you said before about what you couldn't do because you were too over-weight or out of shape... well now you can!!! You've arrived at the ideal weight for your bone structure! (Ok, maybe someone should have told you this 5 or 10 lbs ago... but now you know!!!) :D

your family loves you and cares about you and they are looking at the over-all picture when they look into your eyes. They're paying attention to dark circles or too prominent cheekbones, or bony shoulders, which may indicate to them that you've pushed for yourself too hard for too long. They share their concerns out of love... not out of being judgmental.

It can be so hard to move from the "improving the self-image by losing weight)... to truly believing we have finally arrived at our destination. No matter how perfect our bodies seem be to others... we still obsess about our perceived imperfections...every one of them.

Do your criticize every single inch of your mothers body? or your sisters? or brothers? (why keep it all about women!?)
    Do you critique every inch of your partners physique?
    No, of course not!
    Be your own best friend... love the person you are today, with all your wonderful strengths and imperfections :D

Now find a different obsession... a different hobby :)
    Eat when your hungry, stop when you're satisfied. Find out how many calories you should have now, for maintaining, for your bone structure and age... discover new recipes which will help you achieve your healthy daily goal and offer variety. :)

I'm so happy that you are able to enjoy a whole new journey of health and adventure :) and I hope you share your new adventures with us :) so that we can live vicariously through you ;) until we arrive at the same destination and we can share our own adventures :D

Love you... for the wonderful, unique person you are :)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

I couldn't have written a better post than this and I agree with you wholeheartedly!
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    add brackets and img before and then the same after it w a backslash it should work just use the right links hun
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You honestly know the answer to this question. Is there not such a thing as too fat? Both can be just as detrimental to your health. I wouldn't comment on our pictures because some people actually WANT to hear that people see them as too thin. It gives them the positive reinforcement that they are looking for to continue their unhealthy habits, either undereating, over-exercising, laxative abuse, binging and purging... If your family, who knows you, what you have always looked like, and probably know how you've been losing weight, are worried about you, then you probably have taken it too far.
  • amazingmahoney
    Options
    actually the rule of thumb is 100 lbs @ 5', then 5lbs for every inch and thats to thin still. So if you are 5'4" you should weigh at the very, very least 120lbs.. I agree will one of the girls skin and bones is NOT sexy, its curves and muscle tone.. I think @ your current weight if you start doing some weight training you'll gain some muscle and look great:)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    This a good guide to healthy weight ranges for your height http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/health/asm/calc_healthyweight_int.aspx

5ft 4in in height should range between 8 st 5 lb -10 st 6 lb (117lbs - 146lbs)
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It is a bit hard to tell from the pictures but at 5'4" 110 is not too thin.
    A lack of muscle tone could be what your family is describing as too thin. Try to work out more with weights and you may find that you lose more fat and look better. When I first lost weight I got down to about 185 but because I was actively trying to lose I didn't have as much muscle on my frame and you could see my rib cage, making me look underweight.
    In reality I could lose another 10 lbs of fat. After some weight training the muscles came in and I look more healthy. I sit between 190 and 195 (and yes I could still lose about 10 lbs)

Your face isn't all drawn in so I think it is a perception thing by your family.
    Good Luck
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    while i'm sure there is such a thing as too thin, i'm finding that the definition depends largely on what others expect you to look like.

for example, people who knew me when i was obese (i was pushing 270 at one point) sometimes lecture me now that i'm 160. at 5'11", that puts my BMI at 22, well within the normal range. people who meet me for the first time just think i look thin or normal. old friends who knew me when i was heavy routinely tell me i need to gain ten pounds, which i have no intention of doing.

i think for most people, BMI is a pretty good indicator.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You ask for honesty and I am going to be upfront with you and tell you that in picture two you do look sick. Play it safe see your Doctor to find out if you need to gain just a bit.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile:
    You ask for honesty and I am going to be upfront with you and tell you that in picture two you do look sick. Play it safe see your Doctor to find out if you need to gain just a bit.
    I did not mean for that to come across as sick- as in ugly or not flattering you are a beautiful girl, I just mean like you don't feel well or may be ill. I didn't want you to take that the wrong way.:smile::smile:
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    on the first picture you look great. the second picture you look a little too thin in my opinion

took the wrds ut or my mouth
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    A lot of people have difficulty adjusting to the changes other family members under go. Honestly, I would recommend experimenting with muscle training. It may add some needed shape to your thin frame. It's most important to work on being healthy as opposed to being skinny. You look thin, but I don't see very much muscular definition... I personally feel that people who are skinny without developed physiques give the allusion of being frail.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can't see your pictures but yes there such a thing as too thin for sure!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    actually the rule of thumb is 100 lbs @ 5', then 5lbs for every inch and thats to thin still. So if you are 5'4" you should weigh at the very, very least 120lbs.. I agree will one of the girls skin and bones is NOT sexy, its curves and muscle tone.. I think @ your current weight if you start doing some weight training you'll gain some muscle and look great:)

WOAH! That rule of thumb is scary. @ 5'1" I should weight 105??? I was BORN bigger than that! Age is also a fact and like someone else said, there are ranges based on age but ultimately your doctor and your family know you best.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    First off, I think that everyone has a different opinion is on this, and some people say I am too skinny....I HAVE ROLLS PEOPLE....how is that too skinny?

My honest opinion on the too skinny thing is this. When I hug someone I don't want to feel like I am crushing their bones. I think that is too skinny. From your pictures I think I would feel like I was crushing your bones.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!