Is wholewheat pasta a good staple?

Options
I'm new at this weight loss (and indeed, cooking) thing so I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

One of my new favourite quick meals is to put a nest of wholewheat noodles in a saucepan of boiling water and chuck in broccoli and cauliflower, then after draining and adding pre-cooked chicken as a quick, 5 minute meal I can make on my lunch break or when I'm short on time. I'll add different veggies and meat depending on what I feel like, but this has become a staple of mine and something I enjoy. The noodles help me "like" it I think ha.

I know food isn't inherently "good" or "bad" but is it alright to eat pasta (even wholewheat pasta) every day? I love pasta and I love noodles, I just worry that means I'm doing something wrong lol.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pasta eater. But if it fits in your calories and it sounds like you are using it to eat healthier. I say consider it a staple for you. As long as it's not thrice daily with cream sauce :wink:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Sure, if it fits your calorie and nutritional needs. I love pasta and have it often.
  • hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pasta is fine as a source for carbs. I personally prefer regular pasta over whole wheat or brown rice pasta just because I don't like the texture.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think so! That is one of my favorite go to meals as well because of how simple it is. I use 2oz (2.5oz when I'm working out intensely) whole grain pasta, boneless/skinless chicken, and then whatever veggies I have - broccoli, cauliflower...or I'll use those bags of broccoli slaw or brussel sprout slaw or pre-chopped onions, less time and energy than chopping things. Throw it all in a skillet. Sometimes I'll add balsamic vinegar, or hot sauce and mustard, or coconut amino, or srirchia, or nutritional yeast for a "cheese" flavor. I lost a lot of weight having a lot of meals with that!!
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat pasta. Semi-high in calories, but great source of fiber and bulk up a meal to keep me full longer. Be sure to weigh the dry pasta and only eat 1 serving. Sometimes I'll even weigh out a half-portion if I have lots of other good fiber sources.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i cant stomach whole wheat pasta. Its just not for me.. if you like it eat it. I make a lot of fresh pasta.. i want pasta and bread pretty much at every meal. Thanks Italian immigrant family.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yep! Your meal sounds similar to some favorites of mine. Just make sure your portion size of pasta is reasonable and you're good to go!