Best exercises for thighs?

Options
I'm trying to get a better idea of what sorts of exercises I should be doing that would be most efficient in slimming up my thighs. I swear when I gained weight last year, all of it went to them!

I know I can't spot reduce, but what would be the best cardio and ST exercises for them? Incline walking on the treadmill and regular walking (for a good amount of time) is my usual exercise along with some ST.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges. With weights.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    squats but mostly cardio helps!!! I've lost all my weight by doing cardio. I'm trying to add in strength training tho lol, im just not consistent with it
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Squats!! Kettlebell swings!!
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this as well... I usually do the elliptical at about 8 or 9 incline (the ones at my gym are precour and give little light indicators of what areas you are targeting and that's the spot where it gets fronts, backs, and rear). I also found that I feel it in the innner thighs if I turn my toes out and heels in (not easy to do in the little foot pedals but it seems to work). Also, when you are walking, even though it feels really unnatural try to walk with your toes slightly out.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Also do the full leg extension machine (the one where you push with both feet at the same time), do 3 sets of 12 with your toes facing inward, 12 with your toes facing outward, and 12 with your toes together. My trainer has me doing those and I swear between that and lunges/squats my thighs are definitely toning up! OH OH OH, and do box jumps! I love box jumps, they totally target the quads and hamstrings!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Elliptical with no resistance, running, definitely squats & lunges, kickboxing, leg lifts.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Squats with a medicine ball!
  • jocraw66
    jocraw66 Posts: 52
    Options
    Most definitely squats and lunges, leg press and running. Also try hills either walking them or running them.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most efficient way to shed….so I have to suggest that first.
    Squats and lunges are a nice runner up.
    Lastly, if you have a resistance band, step on it with both feet while holding them in your hands (hope that makes sense) then press your legs outwards…away from your body. Find those good for the side thighs.
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    I agree with others with the following most important qualification: If you have been trained with squats and still cannot do them without backpain QUIT doing them. I have HUGE thighs with leg extensions, stiff legged deadlifts, and leg presses. LOTS of bodybuilders do NOT do squats. If you can do them, do them, they are great. BUT you can build ROCKIN' thighs without them. I recently did 1000lbs of real weight on an angled leg press at the END of my leg routine, for 12 reps. I measured my thighs recently, very muscular, at 38" That is bigger than my waist (34")
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oh! And stairs! Walk or run up and down them.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    JUMP SQUATS.
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    Scissor kicks are good also. As well as walking.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Jump squats and jump lunges. I'm stunned at how quickly plyo exercises work in the thighs.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,007 Member
    Options
    Pilates for slim thighs. Find exercises on Youtube. Swimming, hill walking.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges to build up those muscles, and a good amount of cardio to burn off the fat that surrounds them.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options

Definitely. Add deadlifts and you have covered all of the best. Keep in mind there are also a lot of variations on the squat, deadlift and lunges you can do mix it up. Also these should be the corner stone of any good strength training program for women or men.

Never use the leg press machine. It will not get the same results and puts your back in a dangerous position. It is popular machine because you can put a lot of weight on it. It's a ego stroke.

Also leg extension and curl machines are a waste of time. Always do strength training that has free motion and uses your body, cables/bands or free weights for resistance. Any machine that has a linear path of motion will hinder your progress.
  • GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    I do a lot of pilates (I usually do the ones off Netflix) which consists of doing squats with your knees apart and lying on your side lifting your legs up and slowly. Most exercises I do I do sets of 50 - 100 cause my legs are horrible!

I think that walking is doing a lot for me too. I do some hiking but, mainly walking around town or the mall and my inner thighs have shrunk a lot since I first started. If you have stairs in your house try jogging up and down them or at least trying to sprint up them.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if you go to a gym the hip adduction and abduction machines are great...