Is it hormones that's preventing weight loss?

Options
I've cut back & cut out quite a bit of "bulk" from my everyday diet--I stopped eating peanut butter on a daily (or more...) basis, I've cut out the teaspoon of sugar & tablespoon of SF creamer in each of my 3-4 cups of coffee each day. I've switched any snacks I eat during the day to just a handful or so of veggies. I'm eating almost no simple carbs unless they're from fruit (which I usually only eat in the morning or for to quiet down an unyielding after-dinner sweet tooth).

I even weigh all my foods now with my food scale & keep my Calories to a 1,300-1,400 limit. I drink at least 100oz of water a day & aim for a full gallon most of them.

I workout 5-6 days a week; 2-3 days are 35-45 minute running sessions, 3-4 involve 20-30 minutes of strength training plus 30-60 minutes of circuit training and/or brisk-ish walking with my dog. I've been active the past several years, but never really this diligent or intentional about it. I mostly just do it because it's my "me time" & I enjoy it.

And after cutting back Calories & trying to exercise more & move more throughout the day, I'm not losing weight.

I do have a cheat meal or two during the week but it's not a serious cheat like you'd think--it may be a 250-Calorie ice cream cone from McDonalds or a measured out bowl of cereal (because the kid in me won't die).

Could it be a hormone imbalance? I've been getting the feeling (from other symptoms) mine are out of whack.

Could it be too little sleep? I'll admit I don't get enough most of the time.

If I just get my hormones in check or start sleeping more, will the weight finally start coming off?

I'm almost 24 & regained 20lbs (initially lost 15) in 2 years after I had first started exercising (for the 1st time ever) when I was 20. I kept basically the same exercise habits but ate more & worse as my final 1.5 years of school dragged by. Even when I tried losing weight for 6 months I just ended up gaining 5 more lbs.

Now I have a bit more activity than initially & am definitely eating less.

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Dianne. That is something that should be discussed with your doctor. No one on here will be able to diagnose you, even if they are a doctor.
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking to be diagnosed over the Internet, I'm just asking if it's possible that once I get my (possibly) imbalanced hormones straightened out of my body will finally start losing weight if I keep the same Calorie deficit & activity level I have now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking to be diagnosed over the Internet, I'm just asking if it's possible that once I get my (possibly) imbalanced hormones straightened out of my body will finally start losing weight if I keep the same Calorie deficit & activity level I have now.

I have a girlfriend with PCOS who was able to lose weight with Metformin and a low carb diet, but I doubt her calorie deficit and activity level remained the same.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You look relatively thin/fit. How much are you trying to lose per week?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Oops nm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So how long have you been eating 13-1400 cals without losing?
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It very well could be that you "aren't" eating enough calories. What is your BMR & your TDEE?
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    Options
    Just 0.5-1.0 lb a week.

Really before the gain I was too thin; I'd like to just lose 10 lbs.

I've been sticking to this deficit for maybe 3 weeks at most.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    queenbea77 wrote: »
    It very well could be that you "aren't" eating enough calories. What is your BMR & your TDEE?

No it couldn't be...
    If OP wasn't eating enough calories - and there aren't any health issues - then OP would be losing.
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2016
    Options
    0.5-1 lbs a week is very normal! That's a perfect weight loss rate for 10 lbs.
  • queenbea77
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

No it couldn't be...
    If OP wasn't eating enough calories - and there aren't any health issues - then OP would be losing.

Yes it could be - I was eating 1,200 calories a day plus working out 1 1/2 - 2 hours per day and didn't lose a pound. It wasn't until I upped my calorie intake that I started out losing and that was with working out less than I was before. It takes more than 1,300-1,400 calories just to lay in bed doing nothing all day.
  • queenbea77
    Options
    OP did comment on lack of sleep - which can play a part in the problem.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    OP did comment on lack of sleep - which can play a part in the problem.

She's losing .5-1 lb a week which is very normal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Just 0.5-1.0 lb a week.

Really before the gain I was too thin; I'd like to just lose 10 lbs.

I've been sticking to this deficit for maybe 3 weeks at most.

I didn't realize you only had 10 pounds to lose. It's not likely your hormones - the last 10 pounds are really tough. Be happy with losing a pound or two a month.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doc if you feel there is concern with your rate of loss or you think your hormones are causing a problem. At your age, if hormones were an issue, you would possibly be having issues with your cycles as well.

Can hormones effect weight loss? Short answer is: yes. However, diagnosing a hormone imbalance takes testing and time. There are also other factors that need to be addressed if there is a hormone imbalance that only a doctor can advise you on.

Personally, I have PCOS so I understand how that effects my body, my weight loss, etc. and what I need to do to start correcting my individual issues. It also took me about 5 years to be diagnosed as such.

Like others have stated, if you have concerns, talk to your doc.
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    Options
    The issue is that I'm *not* losing weight at ALL. Just stay in stagnant. And this was after I was eating my TDEE of about 1,700-2,00 Calories. Plus a long time of eating above that (hence the steady yet-unyielding 2 years of slow weight gain).

I try to stay upward of 1,400 because I know going too low can cause more issues than results.

My cycles are kinda irregular; they're also longer, so it's hard to accurately track. I use an app for that.

Overall I exercise 5-6 hours a week, depending on what all I do. I also work 30-40 hours a week, wake up at 5am (sometimes 4am--to get in my exercise for the day), & save time aside to spend with my dog & then also my boyfriend. So I feel tired a lot, but again...I don't get enough sleep.