Gluten free

I have just decided to go gluten free and am worried about eatting options and eating out options, what are some of your favorite gluten free recipes or snacks that are also healthy and low in sugar, thanks for your input❤️

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I have just decided to go gluten free and am worried about eatting options and eating out options, what are some of your favorite gluten free recipes or snacks that are also healthy and low in sugar, thanks for your input❤️

Do you have a medical reason for avoiding gluten?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Are you allergic to gluten? Like tested by a doctor and confirmed? If not, then it won't make a difference on your weight loss. My brother finally figured out why he was so ill- Celiacs- and has gained about 50 lbs since cutting out gluten.

And honestly, that gluten free stuff tastes......not good, generally. If so, then Wegmans has a lot of gluten free products but the safest bet is fresh fruits and veggies.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Why did you suddenly just decide to go gluten free? The only impact I can see that it would have on your weight is that most gluten free stuff tastes like crap so you'd be reducing your calories that way.... It's completely not necessary to be gluten free without a medical reason to do so.
  • Raejennings
    Raejennings Posts: 2 Member
    I heard that it was to help with migraines and I have them so horribly bad that I wanted to try something other than all the drugs they had me on, and next step is Botox injections in the temples, I can't really afford all of the medical stuff and was trying different things naturally that I could adjust in my diet to maybe help this. Thanks for the input!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Jason's deli, Pei Wei, P.F. Chang's and even some pizza places have gluten free options.
    At home, instead of eating bread and pasta, eat rice, potatoes, quinoa, sweet potatoes, butternut squash.
    You can get gluten free bread usually in the freezer section of your grocery store. Lots of things like soy sauce have gluten in them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You're just going without wheat products...shouldn't be that big of a deal. Eat potatoes, rice, quinoa, corn, oats, sweet potatoes, lentils, legumes, etc...
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    It's not actually that easy, if you are going truly completely gluten free. My boyfriend is celiac and you have to learn all the different names to look for on labels and read EVERY label. It's in soups, sauces, some salad dressings and vitamins and on and on. So, you need to decide how hard core you're going to be with it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    I heard that it was to help with migraines and I have them so horribly bad that I wanted to try something other than all the drugs they had me on, and next step is Botox injections in the temples, I can't really afford all of the medical stuff and was trying different things naturally that I could adjust in my diet to maybe help this. Thanks for the input!!

Good luck finding your trigger. I had a friend who went gluten-free for the same reason without success. She's been trying other things since. I have another friend who discovered hers was caffeine.

I wouldn't worry about just restaurants and frankly, I'd consider severely limiting eating out for the next 6 weeks while you're trying this out. Gluten hides everywhere and if your sensitivity is high even cross-contamination could cause you problems. Most restaurants are using the same surfaces to prepare gluten-free foods as they do everything else and often the same utensils.
    If you're still eating gluten from unknown sources you're going to have a very difficult time determining if going gluten-free helps your migraines and may incorrectly determine that it doesn't.

Check the labels of everything you eat and learn how to determine whether or not foods contain gluten; not all gluten is from wheat. It can be in surprising places, too. Even candy like Twizzlers have wheat in them, which shocked me when my friend was lamenting having to give them up for 6 weeks.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    If you check the labels and calorie count on special gluten free products they often have more calories than the gluten products...

I have celiac disease and can't understand why you would choose to have to buy products that are more expensive, more calorie dense, and often taste worse than regular products.

BUT thank you for driving up demand so that companies produce more gluten free options. Before gluten free was a buzzword and fad I had a terrible time finding options...
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have migraines and went gluten free for while because of Ibs. Honestly it didnt help my migraines and I was just alittle less bloated. Not worth the effort.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

You may want to get tested for celiac disease before going GF. You must be eating gluten in the 2-3 months prior to testing so if you do find it improves with a GF diet, you may need to be tested to see how GF you need to be. A celiac needs to be 100% GF. A gluten sensitivity may be able to get away with some gluten in their diet.

Migraines was one of my symptoms of celiac disease. I went from having migraines at least half of the time, for days at a time, to every few months for just a day or less. The migraine I got in the first week GF was big one though. Sometimes that happens. It can get worse before it gets better. Hang in there if that happens.

Good luck.