Anybody 49 or older???

Options
I am finding it really hard to lose weight at this age.

Replies

• darlamiller
    darlamiller Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It seems like we don't require as many calories but I still eat the same . I'm 52 and I don't loose it as easy or fast!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think the problems is the activity level. When we were younger we might have played sports in school which practice could have been for 2 hours. Then after coming home maybe we would do a pick-up game. Maybe we would use a push lawnmower to cut the grass and then meet the gang for whatever. It's tough, I know I have pains from playing those sports and trying to do sports to burn calories is not as easy.
  • iwtbtagtgtg
    iwtbtagtgtg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Way over 49
  • iwtbtagtgtg
    iwtbtagtgtg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know where the rest of my post went, but I'll try again. (Maybe it disappeared due to 68yo age-related user error). I'm just restarting after gaining weight again. I'm starting to realize this is a chronic condition and will need lifelong attention, rather than ever stopping"treatment" (calorie monitoring and moving around). It does get harder the older I get, but it can still be done!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had an aha moment and decided I did not want my future hopes and dreams limited by my obesity. I discovered that it's not our age but our habits that make losing weight harder. I'm 57 and started on this app one year ago. I've lost over 90 pounds by weighing and measuring my food while becoming more active. I've learned to make healthier choices when eating out. I now choose to say no to most fried foods and cheese heavy meals. There are plenty of delicious lower calorie choices, like grilled fish, on most menus but it's hard to change our habits. I simply move more and eat less. If I can't get out to exercise I dance in the porch to some good music.

I have a dear friend who is 60+ years old. She chose to go low carb because of her diabetes. She's lost much more than I have but she puts in over 15,000 steps every day. No more shots for her; she's got her health and her weight under control.

You must really want it. Find a reason and don't give up. It's totally worth the effort. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    56 here, and it took me my whole life to realize that all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am 49, and have lost 38 lbs this year. It takes time, and it is far slower than it was when I was in my 30s, but it works. Eat less, TRACK WHAT YOU EAT, exercise more, and be patient. Patience is key :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many people here over age 49 have lost hundreds if not thousands of pounds, including me! It's all in your mindset.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm 50--started losing at 49. Down 82 lbs now and joined a gym for the first time in my life. For me it definitely took a change in mindset (which came about by seeing myself in a photo that just horrified me). No diet...but rather a permanent change in lifestyle. Now I have a new and improved body to go with my new lifestyle! At this point the process is actually easier for me than in the beginning, because I am reaping rewards--feeling better, looking better, people commenting etc. It's all very motivating to get those last 40 lbs off.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I am finding it really hard to lose weight at this age.

I am one year older and I've lost 9 lbs in the 4 months I've been on MFP. With a little dedication you can do it too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    49 here.
    Perimenopausal.
    Thought it would be really hard to lose weight.
    Was convinced I was too old.
    Discovered it was astoundingly easy!! :) 25 kg/55 lbs lost. :)

And as for activity level ... as I lost weight, I gradually increased my activity level and I'm back to doing the long distance cycling I used to do. In the last year, I've cycled several 100 km rides, a couple centuries (100 miles), a couple 200 km randonnees, a 300 km randonnee, and a 400 km randonnee ... plus a whole lot of somewhat shorter rides. :grin:

I wasn't ready to be old yet.
  • djaustin53
    djaustin53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me..m
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 35. Find it hard as well. Wish you well in achieving your goals!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am 57 (soon to be 58) started on here March 1st, 2016. I have lost almost 80 pounds so far. It all starts with your mindset and educating yourself about your body and weight loss.

I wish you success on your journey!
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, and I've been on MFP for three years. I've not always been consistent with logging and eating correctly. Recently diagnosed with Type I diabetes, so no choice but to shape up! Honest logging and working to increase my activities all help. I'm down 15# since my diagnosis this summer, but have to give much credit to the insulin! Toning is all gonna be on me, so planning to join the YMCA with my kids once marching band season is over.
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Cruefan-
    I found it pretty easy to lose weight when I was younger, and was surprised by how much harder I've had to work at it now that I'm post-menopausal. As others have said, if you commit to it, it can be done but the results are slower for me, both in weight lost and body re-shaping. But it beats the alternative of staying fat and, in my case, pre-diabetic! Hang in there.

Judi
  • kjdaughtridge
    kjdaughtridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have let my weight creep up over the years. I recently found out my cholesterol is sky high so I decided to change my diet and lose weight as opposed to going on meds. I just started and have 50-60 lbs to lose. I would love to have a group of peers to support each other. Feel free to add me as a friend everyone.
  • ma_bitts
    ma_bitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and feeling much the same. Last time when I lost a lot of weight, I was in my 20s. This is much harder and slower, but it is still completely doable. We can do it!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Started at 45; finished and got to the goal at 47, eighteen months later, with a 73lb loss.

Harder than if I did it in my 20s? Probably. Harder does to equate with impossible.
  • nitromaniac
    nitromaniac Posts: 2,479 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hang in there.