I just can't get my body fat % under 28%?! What the heck am I not doing right?!

Options
blueeyez939
blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so I'll try to make this short and sweet. About 5 years ago at 200lb I decided to make the life style change! Lost the weight be been comfortably maintaining a weight of 125-135 and body fat of 28-30% for about 3 years now. Well, in the last month I have decided to take up running! I are going to gotten really into it and have been trying to get better although I only "run" (which really means jog/walk) 3 days a week for 2-3 miles at a time. Well, in googling "how to get better at running" I have found that the lower you body fat percentage, the easier running supposedly is? Plus, although I certainly not over weight anymore, I still just don't look quite like I want to, so I have plenty of reason to loose a little body fat. Plus, I am in the high end of healthy... Anyways, so last week my body fat was 29% I have been eating around 1600 calories a day, and tapering my carbs so that I'm having mostly carbs for breakfast, mix of carbs and protein for lunch and by dinner I am having very little carbs. When I say "carbs", they all come from either yogurt, whole grains or fruit. So, I just don't understand why today although I have lost 1lb since last week, I have gone up to 30% body fat?! What the heck?! Any advice please?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat %? The scales are very inaccurate.

Do you do any strength training? Progressive overload lifting programs are great for body recomposition.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring body fat

Scales are inaccurate by up to 13%
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1 week isn't long enough to see a body fat percentage change that means anything. For one, the measurements are inaccurate (I assume you are using your scale) and can swing pretty drastically. A lot of the devices don't adjust for water retention either, so that makes the measurement tough.

My advice - don't freak out. Stick to your plan and watch the BF% over the long term. If you are consistent, it will decrease over time. 1% in 1 week is not measureable on your device - it is just noise.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you get a DEXA scan or get weighed hydrostatically to get an accurate measurement of your body fat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you are under 5'4", I suspect your body fat estimates might be a little high.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lowering your body fat percentage will help a little with running, but the BEST way to get better at running is to run more. Keep pushing yourself and running longer distances.

When I started running I was 173 pounds and ran 1-2 miles at a time... Since then I've worked my way up to running a half marathon. One of my best races was 10 miles in under 1:30. I weigh less now, but i don't attribute my running success to weight loss. Running longer distances and pushing myself every day is what made me into a better runner and a healthier person.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My fitbit scale has my body fat % off by more than 5-6%. I wouldn't worry much about a slight increase. Also, water weight may impact that number too.

If you want to lower body fat % in general, add a strength component along with your running! Adding muscle will help power your legs and entire body really when you run.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Keep running, and increase your distance little by little and you will become a better runner.
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you using a scale? They are highly inaccurate. You can get a Hydrostatic weighing and if not available get a Bodpod. Anyway some gyms offer free bodyfat testing but they use calipers. Hydrostatic is the most accurate one. About your cardio, they are good for cardiovascular endurance. If you want to lose bodyfat, strength training and dieting on point is the key. One must get enough protein to support muscle growth for your weight, enough carbs for energy, and some healthy fats (olive oil, almonds, etc). Standard macros are 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat (do not cut too much fat). If you've used this percentage you can change the percentages around, keep the protein intake high. Strength training wise... If you're a newbie, chances are you'll get "newbie gains". The longer you've been lifting weights. The slower muscle growth will be. Us women do not have the hormonal profile of men. No, you'll not turn into a "she hulk" unless you decided to go into steroid, testosterone shot, HGH, etc route. Anyway, I suggest for you to research more. Read the stickies. Myfitnesspal has information in regards of lowering bodyfat I believe. They will help you more!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Rururiri wrote: »
    Standard macros are 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat (do not cut too much fat).

This seems quite high for protein. New Rules of Lifting for Women had me on 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein when I was lifting. Though protein intake is more about getting enough grams than an actual percentage - and I may have been eating more calories than some while doing it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Rururiri wrote: »
    Standard macros are 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat (do not cut too much fat).
    This seems quite high for protein.

40% protein/40% carb/20% fat is a commonly recommended macro ratio recommended for weight loss. Of course, it has it's critics (most saying that the protein ratio is too high) but I've used this ratio (combined w/cardio) twice to lose 40 lbs 3 years ago and another 24 lbs in just the past 3 months. I also increased my strength and musculature via weight lifting significantly in the process. So, it worked for me and should also work for others.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    1. Your BF % is likely inaccurate.
    2. Unless you are doing some form of strength training it's very likely to be extremely difficult to reduce BF% with running only, since you are already at a lower weight.