Stress and Acne!

Options
I never had acne as a teen or even in my early 20's, but ever since I started law school (well actually the week I took the LSAT) I have had awful acne. I have seen my primary, my obgyn, and a herbalist (which actually worked the best) and nothing has helped long term. Basically, I am just under a lot of stress and pressure and that isn't going to change any time soon. I have actually developed three separate facial ticks and my eye color has changed. The only explanation anyone has is just stress.

So I am hoping you guys can tell me what if anything has help you guys with acne or stress. ANY and all suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated! My face is so bad. HELP!

Replies

• LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and as much sleep as possible - both help with stress. Try tacking a few supplements - but I find that effervescent Vit C causes me to break out. And importantly, don't touch your face and keep your hair off your face if it isn't just washed. Dirt and skin doesn't mix well!

I also change my pillow cover twice a week - this really helped me.

Get into a good routine of cleansing, toning (no alcohol) and moisturising (lightly) your face twice a day. I double cleanse at night.

Twice a week (after cleansing) do a scrub, followed by a moisturising mask. One of those times, add in a clay mask before the moisturising mask ... acts like a mini facial at home :)

Hope this helps!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Two ideas came to mind. Your skin is reacting to whatever products you use. Even laundry detergent (think of how long you sleep on your pillow) can cause issues. I prefer Method laundry detergent and 100% natural products to wash my face.

I don't think you can blame this on stress 100%

Something is out of balance body chemistry wise.

I worked full-time and got my MBA in night and weekend (and online) classes. It took 4 years and was very stressful. I do not think my skin was putting up too much of a fight during this time. This is due to the products that I use. I did however gain weight during this time (missing the gym, eating all 3 meals/day at work on the days I had class etc.)

Your skin is trying to tell you something. Ask your primary doctor to get you tested for hormone levels. Go see a different dermatologist (the first one was no good, or else you would have a long term plan that was working). Bring a list of what you are using for products to another derm doctor and read reviews online before buying any new products. My guess is it is the products you are using, along with something out of whack hormone-wise. Good luck!
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with acne my whole life. Everything I try tends to work for a few months then I need to move on but here are some basics...

Salycillic Acid-- is the key. Use something high in that at least at night after the day is done.

I typically use something lighter in the morning because I have such sensitive skin and it gets red easily. A simple oil free moisturing soap or light scrub usually does the trick. And I try to wash my face sometime in the middle of the day with a simple Dove soap or something. If I can't do this I use oil absorbing sheets.

Finally-- moisturize moisturize moisturize... especially if you are using retin-A or benzaclyn or doxycycline. If your skin thinks it's overdry it will continue producing excess oil which clogs your pores.

Also check your make-up products. Make sure they are oil free, etc. As others said, don't touch your face during the day.

And... it sounds like your hormones may be out of wack. Birth control has helped my face a lot when I remember to be consistent with it.

Hope something here helps!!

Nicole
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    May I ask what kind of acne it is, and where it is? Is it uncomplicated acne or cystic?

I ask because acne below the mouth is usually hormonal (chin, jawline, etc.). If it's hormonal, there's not much you can do (topical applications will not really help as the cause is mostly internal). You may want to see your doctor about it and get some blood tests done, if you feel it is 'hormonal'.

Like you, I never had acne until I hit my mid-20's -- I was struck with horrid cystic acne along my jawline. Nothing topical helped it. (Mine was hormonal, brought on by Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome, which blood tests and meeting with my doctor brought to light.)
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I just started using Apple Cider Vinegar (both as a pill and a topical) for my back and chest acne. It seems to be clearing it up, a bit too early to see the final result. ACV is also a dietary supplement.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have tried a little of everything and it seems to be working! My hormone levels are a little off but not badly enough to warrant birth control. I have been sleeping more, changing my pillowcase every other night, and I switched to washing my face with dandruff shampoo (made a difference almost over night!) and I dilute a little apple cider vinegar to use instead of my normal toner. Also, I changed moisturizers and cut out all make up for the time being. For the first time in nearly two years, my face is not covered in acne!

Also, I have started using a whitening cream to reduce the scaring old break outs have left behind. It reeks but it works. I am no longer embarrassed to show my face in public!

Thank you guys so much!!