Lightly Active or Not very active?

Options
LUHAN27
LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to adjust my calories. Am I lightly active or not very active at all?
3x a week: 3,000-4500 steps per day(sometimes 5,000+ but not often)
Dancing: 3x a week: 30 minutes- I sweat a bit but the workout isn't intense.
Dancing: 3x a week: 80 minutes(1hr, 20 minutes)- sweating, not super intense but of course more tiring than the other 3 days.

Which one do I use? I've had it on not really active at all, because these aren't intense workouts for me.

MFP doesn't have a "student" option and the worker comparisons/equivalents (that no longer show up for me) is a bit confusing.

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary and then my Fitbit syncs the steps and it will give me more calories to eat. I'll log my exercises as well. Just beware: the exercise calories are way overinflated so I only eat back a portion (typically 200-300 calories).
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you're getting fewer than 5,000 steps/day, go with sedentary and log the dance as exercise. Activity level is about what you do 24/7 (or at least during the waking hours) not about the hour you work out.

Lightly active is someone who stands almost all day (teacher, etc.). Moderately active is someone who walks almost all day (traditional mail carrier, etc.).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    If your 5000 steps do not include the dance sessions, and if you don't intend to log the dance as separate exercise..... You are lightly active when adding 30 minutes of activity to the approximately 40-50 represented by your 5000 steps. You are active when adding 80 minutes of activity to your 40-50 represented by your 5000 steps. Possibly even very active depending on intensity.
  • MJade63
    MJade63 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary and then my Fitbit syncs the steps and it will give me more calories to eat. I'll log my exercises as well. Just beware: the exercise calories are way overinflated so I only eat back a portion (typically 200-300 calories).

Does that mean if you have a fitbit you're meant to set it to sedentary on mfp? or is that personal preference?
    Just curious as I have a fitbit also and have mfp set to lightly active.
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    MJade63 wrote: »

Does that mean if you have a fitbit you're meant to set it to sedentary on mfp? or is that personal preference?

That's what I do. But I only eat about half back.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    MJade63 wrote: »

If you have the "enable negative adjustments" then the fitbit and MFP will work together and put your cals up or down depending on your activity level each day. My preference (using apple watch, but I think the idea is the same) is to work on sedentary and then adjust up.
  • mlee981
    mlee981 Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I say I'm active .

I walk around fast walk 3 miles a day , on average sometimes more .

Gym pretty about 4-6 times a week. Pretty moderate : hard cardio session and weight lifting 1.5 hours .

I'm also a waitress in a very busy restaurant, (this does not include what I walk) and college student and go out , I move a lot a lot of fidgeting don't like staying still, so I would say i lead a fairly active lifestyle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For MFP, are you considered one that is on your feet for a part of the day (not exercise wise).. ? this is lightly active. Are you considered someone that spends almost all of your day on your feet (not exercise wise ..)? this is active.

If you sit a good portion of the day (like desk job) you are sedentary for MFP setups.

You include exercise on top of this setting what ever you choose .. it is not included in your MFP activity level.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I'll stick to not really active/ sedentary. :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    LUHAN27 wrote: »
    I'm trying to adjust my calories. Am I lightly active or not very active at all?
    3x a week: 3,000-4500 steps per day(sometimes 5,000+ but not often)
    Dancing: 3x a week: 30 minutes- I sweat a bit but the workout isn't intense.
    Dancing: 3x a week: 80 minutes(1hr, 20 minutes)- sweating, not super intense but of course more tiring than the other 3 days.

Which one do I use? I've had it on not really active at all, because these aren't intense workouts for me.

MFP doesn't have a "student" option and the worker comparisons/equivalents (that no longer show up for me) is a bit confusing.

What are you doing MOST of the day? Up and about at your job, or sitting at a desk? I sit at a desk for 8-hours, commute for 3-hours, hit the gym for 2-hours and an up and about cleaning/cooking for my family for 3 to 4-hours. I have my MFP set to Sedentary/Not Very Active so that it overcalculates my calories for loss. Ensures no over overeating especially on maintenance. Also, I always log exercise calories and eat the majority back (which usually isn't suggested if you're trying to lose) but I'm looking to maintain or gain (muscle, clearly)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    To me you sound lightly to moderatly active given MFPs standards. You are definately not sedentary. Or, as others suggested, you can put yourself at sedentary or lightly active and then log your dance as exercise and eat those calories back.