avacado

Options
2»

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had to read this post because recently I have been trying to force myself to eat avocado for the healthy fats. I have tried it on toast, with eggs, in salad and sandwiches and I don't like it all. It just tastes like grass to me. I just decided why try to force myself to eat this stuff i don't enjoy, so I bought all natural crunchy peanut butter and eat 1-2 TBSP of that a day and much prefer it on toast than avocado.
  • jenschnitt
    jenschnitt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I personally don't like Avocados, but I do like Avocado oil....expensive, but worth it to me

I use Avocado oil a lot. I found it cheaper at Costco.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Avocado + tin of sardines + parsley + lemon juice + sherry vinegar + toast + salt and pepper = amazing

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sherried-sardine-toast-recipe.html

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Half an avocado with cottage cheese in the middle, and hot sauce on top. Yum!
    Or mixed with spicy chilli tuna for a dip or sandwich spread.
    Drop cubes of avocado in a spicy tomato mexican style soup.

Yes, there seems to be a theme here... I like avocado with spice!

But it's also great for breakfast with toast and poached eggs.
    Or to make bruschetta - mash avo with feta, lemon juice and black pepper. Also good with an egg on top. And hot sauce!

avocado smashed into cottage cheese, with salt and pepper. YUM.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Avocado + tin of sardines + parsley + lemon juice + sherry vinegar + toast + salt and pepper = amazing

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sherried-sardine-toast-recipe.html

Dear God yes!!!! And so nutritious!
    (I prefer it on hard, hearty crackers, so the sardines don't make it soggy, but YES)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I dice mine up with s&p and fresh pico.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I eat waaaaaay to much avocado. I will put it in smoothies or blended with just milk sugar and ice to make a pudding. My favorite meal ON THE PLANET is ciabatta toasted then spread avocado on it... top with tomatoes parmesan or burrata and toss arugala with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and put on top of the toast. Tonight I making a pesto with avocado, pine nuts, basil, parm, and garlic!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely no help at all, because I loooooove avocado. LOVE it!! Just plain out of the skin, scooped with a spoon <3 Yummmmmmmm.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Eat something you like! If you want to increase fat intake, eat more full fat dairy (including butter), oils, eggs, fatty fish and meat, nuts and seeds. Maybe olives? Just stay away from trans fats and superheated/burnt fat.

Huh? Olives can't be better than Avocado!!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    sana66 wrote: »
    hey guys, please give me some ideas on how to make avacado more interesting..iv had it today with a bit of salt n struggled to finish it.

thx

I usually just have it with some salt sprinkled on. Sometimes served at the side of a meal as well.Some people have Avocado and cucumber together.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Avocado with a bit of salt is amazing, IMO. So is guacamole. Nice on a salad too. I am not sure whether I like it in a smoothie or not, because for the calories I want avocado to be more the star of the dish (but it tasted good and added a nice texture).

Also good with spicy raw tuna and purple rice, among other ingredients, and on many sandwiches.

It's good for you, but so caloric that I wouldn't bother with it if I didn't love it (or at least enjoy it).

For me avocado, spinach, berries, water= heaven in a smoothie. It IS the star. :smile:
    Love it with salt, and with salt on toast. GAH. I love avocado. Period.

You inspired me to try it again, and it's delicious (I had arugula around and no spinach, so used that, half a cucumber, half an avocado, and too many raspberries). I need clearer avocado flavor, so will do it again with fewer berries (and probably strawberries instead as I think that will be better for the color).

Arugula. YUM.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like it many different ways, but one way my husband and I like it is sliced or diced with little dry ranch seasoning sprinkled over it. Very good. I also like it with meat or pasta -I, too, can get to where I don't like it as much sometimes (maybe the texture?), so eating it with other foods seems to help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Eat something you like! If you want to increase fat intake, eat more full fat dairy (including butter), oils, eggs, fatty fish and meat, nuts and seeds. Maybe olives? Just stay away from trans fats and superheated/burnt fat.

Huh? Olives can't be better than Avocado!!

If you don't like avocado they are.

I like both!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Avocado lime tequila ice pops
    Avocado risotto
    Avocado naan
    Avocado protein brownies
    Avocado egg rolls
    Avocado ice cream
    Avocado fries with agave-chipotle yogurt dip
    Avocado cheesecake

http://www.hellawella.com/17-avocado-recipes-too-weird-not-to-try/21672
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    dgjmrhrmh99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado with a little salt for lunch probably 4 times a week. It has to be that perfect squishyness or yeah it doesn't taste real good lol....but someone mentioned 1/2 a avocado with cottage cheese..THAT sounds amazing..would have to do for dinner though...we only get a 15 min break at work and I use that to smoke (yes filthy habit..but it's mine) so I eat at my machine while I'm working...and it can take me an hour to eat something as small as an avocado. ..warm cottage cheese doesn't sound appealing lol
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I actually like blending avocado into a smoothie. If the flavours are strong (like chocolate), it overpowers the avo and you don't taste it. It makes it very creamy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's my problem with it -- I enjoy the creaminess, but for those calories (and the usual cost of an avocado around here), I want to taste the avocado! Still experimenting, though.