Quinoa help needed!

Options
kittybitz79
kittybitz79 Posts: 213
A friend suggested we try Quinoa but I have no clue how to make it or what to make with it any suggestions.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Make a pilaf.

Saute some chopped onion or shallots with a crushed garlic clove.

Add a good handful of quinoa per person. Some people say to rinse it first, I've never noticed a difference.

Cover with stock and simmer for 15 mins, adding more stock if needed.

I like variations such as chopped mushroom, chorizo, bacon.

It's a great one to make lots of, as it freezes well and cooks from frozen in the microwave.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    follow the directions on the box for how to make it...and you can have it with soup or chicken and veggies or in burritos!!! i love the stuff it is amazing and tastes really really good!!!!
  • cpearce3
    cpearce3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Quinoa is fantastic! Similar in preparation to couscous and can be used the same way - such as making tabouli (tabbouleh). I think a basic preparation is two parts water to one part quinoa - two cups water to one cup dry quinoa. Then you can add whatever ingredients you want or just eat it as a side, like rice. It can be used in place of rice for any recipe, pretty much.
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    It's cooks like rice. There are a few different types. And they have a rather earthy flavor. Serve as a side with chicken and veg maybe. Any where you use rice or some pasta this can be substituted.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Buy a pack and follow the instuctions on the pack!
    You can add stock to it, or any flavourings, nice with chicken. Use it like you would rice.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Taste of Home has a couple recipes I've used it for and it was REALLY good! One was a pilaf, the other was stuffed peppers. It's also really good on salad's.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Try it plain first. I suggest using it as you would rice. Just bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add a cup of quinoa. (2 parts water/1 part quinoa is the ratio I use so you can make less if you want).
    Add quinoa to the water, reduce to low, cover and let cook for about 25 minutes. That's it.

I have a great Peruvian quinoa stew as well I can send you the recipe if interested.
  • nelljoy
    nelljoy Posts: 12
    Options
    I've just started with quinoa but I love that it can be sweet or savory. I made a salad side dish with it a few weeks ago from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com then just this morning I had it with raisins and cinnamon for breakfast. Versatile, tasty and nutritious!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Try it plain first. I suggest using it as you would rice. Just bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add a cup of quinoa. (2 parts water/1 part quinoa is the ratio I use so you can make less if you want).
    Add quinoa to the water, reduce to low, cover and let cook for about 25 minutes. That's it.

I have a great Peruvian quinoa stew as well I can send you the recipe if interested.

Can you send me the recipe?!
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've just recently discovered quinoa. So far this recipe is my favorite:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Tabbouleh/Detail.aspx
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I like it just plain, or cooked with spices in the water... but I also made a salad with it for a 4th of July Potluck.

http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com/2011/07/quinoa-salad-w-tzatziki-dressing.html

0a5b81c0.jpg
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Here is my quinoa meatball recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/skwilson1990
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    YUM THIS SOUNDS FAB!!
    Make a pilaf.

Saute some chopped onion or shallots with a crushed garlic clove.

Add a good handful of quinoa per person. Some people say to rinse it first, I've never noticed a difference.

Cover with stock and simmer for 15 mins, adding more stock if needed.

I like variations such as chopped mushroom, chorizo, bacon.

It's a great one to make lots of, as it freezes well and cooks from frozen in the microwave.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great nd very healthy for you especially if you are vegetarian. Lots of protein. Here is what you need to do. First, before cooking it make sure you rinse it under cold water otherwise it will be bitter when you eat it. Then add 2 cups of water to a pot and add in quinoa. Bring to a boil and let simmer about 15 min or until water is absorbed. It is very versatile. You can make a quinoa salad by adding whatever you like to it. I add craisins and beans' chopped carrots and a vinaigrette dressing. You can even just eat it as a side instead of rice with your meal. Good luck.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I make a quinoa breakfast that goes something like this:

1 c quinoa
    1 1/2 c lite coconut milk
    chopped dried mango from trader joe's (the no additives stuff)
    cook how the package tells ya
    add some banana
    add some blueberries
    add some raspberries
    add some maple syrup if you like
    add some more coconut milk
    throw in some chia or flax if you want
    stir it all up

YUMM! My fave breakfast.
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow - love quinoa but never thought of it in sweet dishes - food for thought! It's a food that always gives me a sense of wellbeing after eating it.
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    I would also like to suggest that you try half-and-half rice (wholegrain basmati) and quinoa as a change from just rice. It is really delicious and nutritious.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Can you send me the recipe?!

I think I have it online now in my blog (fingers crossed that this works)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/overheadcam2/view/peruvian-quinoa-stew-123028 <---click that! (It works)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian and have just recently become a fan of quinoa. I have eaten it with cinnamon, cardamom, and raisins for breakfast, but my favorite is using it to bulk up my favorite avocado and veggie wrap. Tomorrow I'm going to make a black bean and quinoa salad. It is versatile, good stuff! :happy:
  • allybtucker
    Options
    ALL CAPS CUASE IT'S IMPORTANT!! RINSE THE QUINOA BEFORE YOU COOK IT!!! It's covered with a bitter substance called saponin that rinses away easily. It will taste terrible if you don't do this first. I think this is the only reason Quinoa isn't as common as rice, people can't deal with that step :-)