Birth control

Options
2»

Replies

• lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i was on the pill when i started losing weigh...lost 60 pounds...still on the pill...still maintaining my weight.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is it possible it affects hunger on some more than others, which causes weight gain?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Is it possible it affects hunger on some more than others, which causes weight gain?

I think so for sure.
  • bowsontoes
    bowsontoes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you've lost significant weight, you may need your bc hormonal dosage reevaluated. Even after a 10lb lost, my OBGYN recommended that I try different methods/dosage with him since a lot of hormonal changes can happen when losing weight. For this reason, I think a lot of doctors ask if you've gained/lost significant weight over the year (most say around 10lbs too).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've not had problems losing or gaining while on the pill. Seasonique. But I do get terrible headaches on the one week of three months that I don't take it. I always thought the "off-week" pills were placebos and didn't take them. But after doing some research today, thanks to this thread, realized they are estrogen. I'm hopeful that by taking them this time, I won't experience the headaches.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BC don't have a major impact but the first week of active pills I have a hormonal eating episode where I am like a Hoover vacuum cleaner and eat everything. I did yesterday. Over 4,000 calories. So this morning sucks because I have cravings. I just have to power through. Ugh
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Birth control products are known to dis-regulate most women's natural hormonal balance and cycles. There are sites which offer proper explanations. Inability to loose, or gain are very common. I hope you manage to resolve your issues. Take care of yourself
  • jenlovv
    jenlovv Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i've lost weight while using the ring.
    i've wanted to try an implant but whatever it does-maybe increase appetite-i don't want to risk it

I've gained weight since on the implant, but I've still maintained within a range that I've been in for about a decade. However, the implant for me has been problematic because I often bleed for months at a time and only stop for 1-3 weeks. It normally will stop bleeding completely, but there's a chance that it will do the exact opposite, unfortunately.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for around 7 years and this (luckily) has never effected my weight in any way :)
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I got a tubal instead of messing around with birth control. I had so many extreme side effects, one was water retention,bloat, and food cravings. I couldn't get the iud in me and stay. So tubal was the best for my health. I figured if I really want kids I plan and save for ivf. Then I know I am ready not getting pregnant on a whim. Hormonal birth control is so bad for your health, there is really no reason woman should not just go to the non hormonal iud (most can use it). Just one more factor to eliminate when trying to keep weight in check and improve overall health. It doesn't cover up hormonal imbalances, pcos, acne etc like hormonal birth control can. So you can actually see and address the root of the problem.