Favorite exercises that target the waist line

Options
I'm looking for your suggestions of exercises that target the abs, waist, obliques, etc. What do you work into your routine most often or find most effective? I'm looking to shake up my routine a little bit and would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Planks are great for the waistline as well as other muscles and you can fancy them up. You can also do Russian Twists, vertical hip thrusts, hip thrusts, full body roll up....the list goes on. Google waist slimming exercises and a bunch will come up!!
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Ab wheel for abs, one-arm deadlifts for obliques.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Planks, sit ups, leg raises and Russian twists helped me!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

She didn't mention anything about losing fat, only effective exercise.

OP ~ ab wheel, hanging leg raises and inverted pikes all are very effective.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    What is your goal?

ETA: if you're looking to lose weight in your abdominal area, I suggest fork putdowns. If you're looking to strengthen your core but understand you can't spot reduce any area, I suggest landmines, planks, and flat lying straight leg lifts.

This and table push-aways.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    deadlifts
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    For females, I always recommend high rep exercises for abs and stay away from weighted exercises unless you want to add a little more volume to your abdominals. If you don't have a lot of ab muscles, do weighted exercises like kneeling cable curls, weighted leg lifts (or hanging leg lifts), dumbell side bends (jacknifes) and plate twists (standing or lying in crunch). Otherwise, if you don't want to bulk up your abs, just tighten them, you can do all of these at high rep, no added weight other than body weight.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    nablackb wrote: »
    I'm looking for your suggestions of exercises that target the abs, waist, obliques, etc. What do you work into your routine most often or find most effective? I'm looking to shake up my routine a little bit and would love to hear from you!

believe it or not...barbell hip thrusts will make your waist smaller bc you are tightening your posterior chain, gaining some beautiful glute muscle and hence, a smaller waist and a faster metabolism.

Bret Contrares tested heavy bb hip thrusts on his girlfriend and after a month, her waist was smaller.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

believe it or not...barbell hip thrusts will make your waist smaller bc you are tightening your posterior chain, gaining some beautiful glute muscle and hence, a smaller waist and a faster metabolism.

Bret Contrares tested heavy bb hip thrusts on his girlfriend and after a month, her waist was smaller.

You're basically creating an illusion by increasing the width of a complimenting area. One other way to work abs is to constantly tense and relax your abs all day long.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for your suggestions of exercises that target the abs, waist, obliques, etc. What do you work into your routine most often or find most effective?

Depends on the goal:
    - To make those muscles bigger, selectorized ab machines are among the best. Or an ab wheel, if you don't have gym access.
    - To shrink the fat layer over the muscle, follow the usual fat loss advice of a calorie deficit plus full-body strength training to maintain muscle. As it is written, "can't spot reduce fat".
    - For functional ab strength, i like beating up a heavy boxing bag. :+1:
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Body weight farmer's carries. 40% body weight overhead carries.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »

You're basically creating an illusion by increasing the width of a complimenting area. One other way to work abs is to constantly tense and relax your abs all day long.

actually no. when you measure the waist, it is smaller. I have done it too. I've lost an inch in my waist. everything "tightened up" in the area.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

That is true, but even if you look at the link you posted it says a "appearance of a toned mid-section" can be advanced by strength training. So exercises that mainly focus on the abdomen can still be beneficial.

That being said, my main abdomen work out is a double crunch - lie on your back with arms and legs extended so you are fully flat on the ground. Hold a 10 or 25 lb. plate with your hands, pull knees up while simultaneously pulling plate over head. Go back to original position, do not let your head or feet touch the ground. This is one rep. I like to do four sets of 25 while holding a 25-lb. plate.

Other exercises include leg lifts on the Roman chair, planks, reverse planks, scissor kicks (key is not letting feet or head touch the ground), ball knee-ups (lie in plank position with arms fully extended instead of being bent at the elbows, place feet on exercise ball and roll ball up so knees are at chest) and the roller tool.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's a 15-minute core routine from Kansas State trainers. It's for runners specifically, but it is still good even if you aren't a runner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvwuTw6rjTY
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    For females, I always recommend high rep exercises for abs and stay away from weighted exercises unless you want to add a little more volume to your abdominals. If you don't have a lot of ab muscles, do weighted exercises like kneeling cable curls, weighted leg lifts (or hanging leg lifts), dumbell side bends (jacknifes) and plate twists (standing or lying in crunch). Otherwise, if you don't want to bulk up your abs, just tighten them, you can do all of these at high rep, no added weight other than body weight.

I don't understand why you would tell females to stay away from weighted exercise. Women do not "bulk" up like men using strictly exercise. You are doing a great disservice to women if you are not using weighted exercises and progressively increasing the weight.

I agree,lifting weights is great,. it has changed my body a lot and for the better.Im not bulky either