Can't make up mind whether to maintain or not

Options
5"10 male 165 ish. Seems pretty good by standards of suburban Chicago but, still feel like I have too much extra abdominal and thigh fat and I'm not confident calling this my final form. For awhile now I've teeter totted with the idea of maintenance and losing more. Any advice?

Replies

• Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do what's going to make you happy and comfortable with yourself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What about maintaining with diet and working on body composition with strength training? Unless you are already doing that.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What about maintaining with diet and working on body composition with strength training? Unless you are already doing that.

I would love too but a gym is kinda out of the budget at the moment
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Understandable. What about just body weight strength training?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

I would love too but a gym is kinda out of the budget at the moment

Maybe an excuse? You can do body weight.. Besides this, you do what makes you feel comfortable with you YOU... I think you have already answered your own question though.
  • srecupid
    Options
    Understandable. What about just body weight strength training?

Would work if I could figure out a routine and stick with it. I just don't want to hurt myself because I just skimmed the directions lime I have a tendency to do on the internet
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, while in "granny gives advice" mode, I endorse the "maintain and do bodyweight training" option.

On the other hand, an alternative option would be to test-drive maintenance for a while. I think sometimes we forget that "lose vs. maintain" isn't a one-time decision.

It's likely that your body will change (a little bit) in (successful) maintenance - maybe it will end up seeming fine. If not, you can always decide to get back on the losing track in a few weeks or months, and lose a few more pounds.
  • TriciaFPal
    TriciaFPal Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you were truly satisfied with where you are at, body and mind, then maintaining is the answer. You can try maintenance goals with increased activity and see different results, too. MHO, it's 80% food and 20% movement choices.
    Otherwise, recommit to a different goal (more walking, less take out etc) and get going!! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    You could check out nerd fitness. Seems good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a serious think about your body composition, fitness, strength, physique goals and then decide.

If you want to improve body composition then losing fat via dieting is the fastest way but would you be happy lighter? Impossible really for others to walk in your shoes.

At your age recomp should be easy if you train properly (you don't need a gym).
    There is always the compromise position of a tiny deficit and recomp, it doesn't only happen precisely at maintenance. (Especially for younger males.)

You appear a bit uncommitted to exercise though if you don't mind me saying!
    If you want to look athletic (guessing...) you have to put in the work.

My own choice is a compromise between my health, cycling and strength goals but also with personal preference for physique thrown into the mix. I'm not interested in being particularly lean but your preference may be different - different generation, different ideals....

I'm 5'9" and currently 168lbs for comparison but could stand to lose 4lbs if I wanted to have a leaner look.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is 10 dollars a month. fyi. You could do a program at home of some sort..and just shape your body..you seem like for your height your a a low weight.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    5"10 male 165 ish. Seems pretty good by standards of suburban Chicago but, still feel like I have too much extra abdominal and thigh fat and I'm not confident calling this my final form. For awhile now I've teeter totted with the idea of maintenance and losing more. Any advice?

Hi I would think You are pretty much to goal. It also depends on Your Body type. The extra abdominal and thigh fat are going to take time to shrink away. How much time depends on many factors including how much weight You lost to get there. My understanding is that a really large weight loss will take a long time to tighten up the looseness.

How do You look ready for the street is the question that comes to mind.
    As for exercise You could start walking, that should tighten up the Thighs, It Did for me. I walk 3+ miles a day up from a block when I started walking over a year ago.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the dilemma or the ensuing debate.
    I have too much extra abdominal and thigh fat and I'm not confident calling this my final form.

So, continue to cut.

Maintenance calories (re-comp) will not lead to any significant reduction in body fat. If you are currently unhappy with %BF, I doubt you're going to feel any better by eating at maintenance.

Having said that, I agree with the idea that strength training of some sort is beneficial but you can easily incorporate that exercise into a deficit calorie diet.

• srecupid
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi I would think You are pretty much to goal. It also depends on Your Body type. The extra abdominal and thigh fat are going to take time to shrink away. How much time depends on many factors including how much weight You lost to get there. My understanding is that a really large weight loss will take a long time to tighten up the looseness.

How do You look ready for the street is the question that comes to mind.
    As for exercise You could start walking, that should tighten up the Thighs, It Did for me. I walk 3+ miles a day up from a block when I started walking over a year ago.

Good Luck
    Roger

Oh I do a shot load o walking. I walk like 12000 steps a day on average