Are your taste buds changing ?

Options
Hi everyone,
It's been 9 months that I have changed my lifestyle and I'm really pleased with my body transformation. One thing that I've realized recently is that my taste has changed in food...I suppose it's because I eat much more subtle food (no added salt, no added sugar, lots of whole food, uncooked vegetables, etc.).
Well, in the past I would stay away from most green vegetables cooked in a non-Portuguese way (I'm French-Portuguese) and now, I thoroughly enjoy any vegetable-based dish that my wife cooks even those that I know I wasn't particularly fond of before.
So, in conclusion, I know my taste buds have changed but that is really helpful in the lifestyle changing process !
What about you?

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Yup! I don't know if it's them changing or I mentally trained myself to enjoy better options but yes either way I used to really not enjoy tomato based stuff and go straight for the creamy or cheesy options but now I don't even look at them! Also I don't enjoy false flavours like crisps as much anymore!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes! When I eat out, everything tastes so salty to me now. When I have an occasional margarita, the next day I will wake up tasting salt like I inhaled half the ocean!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Not really, I still eat the same stuff I used to. Only difference now is that I adjust the amount according to my goals.
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My taste buds are changing for sure. It's weird not having super strong cravings for junk. I cannot imagine having no added salt. #ilovemypinksalt
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I crave roasted broccoli and carrots, salads, 100% whole wheat bagels, lean meats, almonds, and cottage cheese pretty regularly. I'm currently on vacation, and my boyfriend loves to eat out. Last night, we went to a pasta place we used to eat at regularly, and it didn't taste that great to me. I would have been more satisfied eating at home with fresh produce and meat.
  • emeraldprincess71
    Options
    I was just telling my husband this weekend that on the rare occasions where I have a craving, when I finally have whatever I craved, it just doesn't taste as good. Maybe I build it up in my mind, maybe it is the hypnotist sessions I have used for weightloss, maybe my taste buds are changing. The old things just aren't as good any more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I discovered I don't like Canadian potato chips anymore. Too salty! And that's from someone who likes her salt. :)
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    Yes! When I eat out, everything tastes so salty to me now. When I have an occasional margarita, the next day I will wake up tasting salt like I inhaled half the ocean!

So much this, I am so much more sensitive to salt now. I am tasting it in things I never realized had salt. Also recently have just not been able to stomach diet soda...not really a conscious thing to stop drinking it, it is just water with a little lemon just tastes so much fresher. I gag down soda or coffee to wake up though. I still need the caffeine.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    It's been 9 months that I have changed my lifestyle and I'm really pleased with my body transformation. One thing that I've realized recently is that my taste has changed in food...I suppose it's because I eat much more subtle food (no added salt, no added sugar, lots of whole food, uncooked vegetables, etc.).
    Well, in the past I would stay away from most green vegetables cooked in a non-Portuguese way (I'm French-Portuguese) and now, I thoroughly enjoy any vegetable-based dish that my wife cooks even those that I know I wasn't particularly fond of before.
    So, in conclusion, I know my taste buds have changed but that is really helpful in the lifestyle changing process !
    What about you?

Mine have not changed. The only change I made is to allow all those forbidden foods-no added sugar, no oil or butter, no sweet foods- back into my life, in moderation to restrict calories in/calories out. The only foods I eliminated are foods I am intolerant to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Nope. Last time it changed was when I quit smoking. Not everything tasted like ashes anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    What about you?

Mine have not changed. The only change I made is to allow all those forbidden foods-no added sugar, no oil or butter, no sweet foods- back into my life, in moderation to restrict calories in/calories out. The only foods I eliminated are foods I am intolerant to.

Don't get me wrong. I still have the occasional fat / cheese / fries... I have chased away any food, it's just that it seems that the food I was drawn to before do not seem that attractive these days...
    As an example, I was crazy for pasta...any pasta, any style...I could eat one large pan of pasta myself...
    Now, my wife would cook lovely pasta, (she's a brillant cook) but I would peel myself some carrots / cucumbers / tomatoes with chicken breast...just cold...not because it's healthier but just because I want it !

But the experience seems a bit like quitting smoking (I quit 20 years ago)...there are flavours you're rediscovering and it's like I feel more subtlety than I used to...it may be my brain playing tricks, but I sometimes wonder how this happened !
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mine have definitely changed. However I still feel that I eat amazingly flavorful foods. Sometimes the natural flavors of the food is enough, sometimes a great mix of seasoning makes it delicious.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Oh your taste buds will absolutely change! I've been watching what I eat since I was in 5th grade, and am now 23 years old. I can honestly say I no longer crave fast food, rarely crave cake or cookies, the junk food has been eliminated. I know that if I'm craving something sweet, I want strawberries, not cake. For me, it was the way these foods made me feel afterwards that made me crave them less and less. Do you want to eat McDonald's and feel like complete crap for 24-hours afterwards or eat a homemade burger or chicken and feel great and energetic? Do you want to eat cake and regret it, or eat strawberries or an apple and feel healthy? After a while, I didn't have to think this way, my cravings just morphed. It's the lifestyle.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah sort of. I still enjoy a fast food burger or sweet or salty stuff, but I do notice that I FEEL different afterwards than I used to.

Like I'm just coming back from a several week break of sorts where I just let go of the diet for a while, and I feel terrible. I have no other way to explain it other than I feel wiped out, and it's not from activity.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I used to put 2 sugars in my tea, I found myself thinking my 1/4 tsp was over sweet this morning.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh your taste buds will absolutely change! I've been watching what I eat since I was in 5th grade, and am now 23 years old. I can honestly say I no longer crave fast food, rarely crave cake or cookies, the junk food has been eliminated. I know that if I'm craving something sweet, I want strawberries, not cake. For me, it was the way these foods made me feel afterwards that made me crave them less and less. Do you want to eat McDonald's and feel like complete crap for 24-hours afterwards or eat a homemade burger or chicken and feel great and energetic? Do you want to eat cake and regret it, or eat strawberries or an apple and feel healthy? After a while, I didn't have to think this way, my cravings just morphed. It's the lifestyle.

Absolutely ! Not only don't I crave for these foods but it's also that I don't digest them as well as the other foods...
    Yesterday, I had meetings all day. Couldn't eat my homemade food. We only had sandwiches and cakes...they were good it's way more bread / cream cheese / added sugar than I'm used to these days... I took me so long to digest that I had to skip dinner !
  • lil_br_98
    lil_br_98 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I used to drink soda and juices a lot and I started to notice that they weren't tasting as good as they used to. So now all I drink is water or flavored seltzer.

And my tastes towards vegetables has changed as well. I was always opposed to cook vegetables, only liked to eat them raw. Then I discovered steamed vegetables and I never looked back.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mine changed only for one thing: soda. I now don't like the regular, it tastes too sweet and less bubbly. For everything else, no. I've always been a vegetable and whole food lover, so no surprises there.