idk what im looking for on labels? good/bad foods? help plz lol

Options
2»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jess427 wrote: »
    thank you all for your responses really appreciate it:) I feel like i do have a basic understanding of the basic requirements we should include in our daily intake, yesterday when I posted just had an overwhelming moment after spending the day w.my MOL. We went grocery shopping for "good" foods & as i began to look at labels having her griping about how am i gonna get healthy when i dont even know what im looking for on the labels (i mean she wanted specific in how many calories etc & i shrugged it off in humor) but then I started to feel like ok maybe i dont know as much as i thought. I do agree on as yall stated not labeling foods as good or bad i will work on that & sticking to how I had started a few days ago with just logging as much as possible and working from there. I do cook for my family just neglected the healthier options or at times ruined with chesse, butter etc lol. Its as if i know all we should be doing but needed to be told for some reason if that makes sense? Also i take full responsibility for neglecting our health at times and including many uneeded calories in our meals I am too old to be blaming my upraising eating habits for my lack of want in choosing the healthier options or moderation in sweets I was again just frustrated yesterday and thinking gosh im doing the exact same thing to my son except earlier in age because i did not begin gaining weight until after adulthood.I am not pushing this on my son or mentioning him being overweight, unfortunately hes been hearing it enough from others lately i am just not buying so many sweets, explaining to him why theres more veggies offered to him and luckily he likes water and milk over soda.
    I am glad to be using this app i have used it before and set it aside but am back on track and truly serious about this lifestyle change this time and this app has been so helpful in motivating me to keep on track so far, finding other people that seek similar goals. I am working on a healthier me physically and emotionally and im sure I will get back to "me" soon.
    Also congrats on all of those who are meeting goals and most of all achieving a healthier you thanks yall for the help am taking it all in I promise!:)

You are delightful, OP. :smile:

I am so sorry to hear that your son has been dealing with people teasing him about his weight. You are doing the right thing by trying to learn and set a good example for him. I wish you all the best.
  • jess427
    jess427 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Any other meal ideas where yall use alternate healthier options in your ingredients to replace in your already regular meals would be greatly appreciated:) for example hadnt thought to use skim milk instead of regular milk in actual recipes because 1st of all not big milk drinker other than cereal or in recipes or using spinach in smoothies (since you cant really taste it much anyways). All good ideas learning from using this app. since my main trouble is incorporating and substituting to slowly change our nutritional intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Cheese and butter and not unhealthy per se, but are calorie dense. I use them often, but in moderation. For dishes like stir fries and eggs, I use non-stick pans from T-Fal so I need less oil, just because oil is also calorie dense and I get plenty of fat in my diet.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Any other meal ideas where yall use alternate healthier options in your ingredients to replace in your already regular meals would be greatly appreciated:) for example hadnt thought to use skim milk instead of regular milk in actual recipes because 1st of all not big milk drinker other than cereal or in recipes or using spinach in smoothies (since you cant really taste it much anyways). All good ideas learning from using this app. since my main trouble is incorporating and substituting to slowly change our nutritional intake.

This is one of my favorite places to get recipes: http://www.skinnytaste.com/

I'm not so fond of the name of her website, but she does a great job of "reinventing" comfort foods. She has a huge variety in her collection, and everything that I have tried so far has been very tasty.

She has a cookbook on the market, too, but so far I'm happy with the free recipes on her site.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Diet soda because I love bubbles and enjoy a sweet drink with my meal. I use sugar free condiments in coffee or oatmeal when possible and use sugar substitutes in recipes when applicable. If you don't mind the taste of sugar substitutes then its a great way to cut calories here and there. Not in everything, of course, but every little bit helps.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I mainly watch for calories. Also, depending on the type of food, I'll be on the lookout for protein, sodium, and sugar. So for a protein bar, if the amount of protein doesn't match up to the amount of calories, I'll skip that bar and choose something else. If I'm eating a pre-cooked lunch, if the sodium is out of this world, I'll skip it and choose a different meal or brand. I try to make sure the cereal I eat isn't too high in sugar.

But for the most part, calories are king and queen for me.
  • jess427
    Options
    Awesome tips will definitely be trying I'm all in today even just with about 5 days of eating products containing less sugars/Fats I'm starting to feel more energy little less sluggish even started to work out last night and went for a walk today:)
    I find myself looking in diary's & getting ideas such as using spaghetti squash wish I'm trying tonight! Hopefully my family will approve lol if I incorporate the frozen pureed banana desert idea
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I agree with the girls above - nothing really bad but stay under your calorie goal for starters and try and limit sugars and fats if you can for weight loss - keep it simple so not to overstress yourself

Meh.. I haven't limited sugars and fats...almost 100# down.
    I find my moods and digestion are better if my fat intake is on the higher side.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I look for total carbs vs sugar, fat, and protein. Basically my macros.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

If this helps with the skim milk issue, I don't drink it myself, either. I buy it powdered specifically to use in cooking. I don't think I could stand to drink it straight but powdered milk doesn't go bad and I can't tell the difference in recipes. :smile: Sam's Club sells a box that makes 22 gallons for around $15. That's 68 cents per gallon, which is much cheaper than buying it fresh, and you aren't wasting any; you just make up what you need at the time. When I was a kid, my mom used to buy whole milk and mix it half and half with the skim milk she made from powdered milk. Nowadays you can easily find 2%, of course, but that was one way my mom cut down on both calories and the grocery bill.

As an adult, if I'm buying fresh milk for my family it's 1%. If you're still buying whole milk, switch to 2%. Lower in calories and when I made that switch years ago no one in my family noticed a difference in taste. If you're currently using 2%, try 1%. That switch wasn't noticeable either, once we were used to 2%. I don't know that we could have made the jump directly from whole to 1%, though.

If you're looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into your family's diet you might try making a bit of a game of it. Each week find a different fresh vegetable in season at your grocer. You can usually tell which ones these are because they are on sale. Do a little research on ways to prepare that vegetable and then one night for dinner make it two or three different ways (raw, steamed, roasted, grilled, baked in a recipe, etc.). For example, zucchini you could have some slices of it raw in a small green salad, grilled and steamed. Have everyone try it and see which way(s) they like it. Keep note of which ones everyone likes and you'll slowly build a repertoire of different vegetables you can serve that you know no one will turn their nose up at and might even really, really like.
  • jess427
    Options
    Thanks will have to switch to 2% secretly and see if they notice lol because the hubster is pretty adamant on sticking to whole milk
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks will have to switch to 2% secretly and see if they notice lol because the hubster is pretty adamant on sticking to whole milk

For your child, I would consider talking to a pediatrician about making the switch. The several studies, fat and vitamin D helps with the calcium absorption, which might be needed for growing bones. Also, most things fortified with vitamin D are fortified with D2, which is definitely an improvement over nothing, but is not as easily absorbed over D3. You and your husband should be fine. Not a doctor though, so I encourage you to talk to your child's pediatrician.
  • jess427
    Options
    Thanks good to know