Can you seriously lose weight without cardio?

I used to be able to do cardio everyday, but my stationary bike recently broke. I've since switched to lifting with Dumbbells. I'm basically asking if it's seriously possible to lose 2lbs a week with Dumbbells and a strict diet in terms of calories. Maybe it's just my mindset, but I always feel that if I'm not doing cardio, then I'm not working hard. Or that it will be difficult to lose the weight. Looking to lose 37lbs.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Well, your goal of 2lbs per week with so little to lose is too aggressive. But calories are what matter for weight loss, exercise for health and more food.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    It is absolutely possible to lose weight by just decreasing calorie intake. Tons of people on here do it. Input your stats into MFP, make sure you are measuring/weighing your food and you are good to go!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Sure you can, you just have to eat less than you are burning, but walking is also a valid form of cardio that can add some burn for you if you want to keep some cardio going.
  • EssexMFP
    EssexMFP Posts: 13 Member
    Well, your goal of 2lbs per week with so little to lose is too aggressive. But calories are what matter for weight loss, exercise for health and more food.

37lbs is deemed little? I wish it felt that way!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Yes, you can, but I agree that 2 lbs per week may be a bit aggressive. I would aim for 1 lb per week until about 15-20 lbs from overall goal, then maybe 1/2 lb per week. It's a lot harder to get to a deficit with only food near your goal weight. As you lose weight, your body needs less calories as it is. To lose 1 lb per week, you need to cut 3,500 calories per week, or 500 calories per day from your TDEE (maintenance calories). To lose 2 lbs per week, you're looking a 1,000 calories per day deficit.
  • VintageFeline
    EssexMFP wrote: »

37lbs is deemed little? I wish it felt that way!

Relatively. Any amount feels a lot to the person losing it. i have maybe 20-30lbs to go and that feels like a lot despite having already lost 50lbs.

Shoot for 1lb per week at this point.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    You can seriously loose weight with a calorie deficit. The dumbbells are to be used for muscle sparing while eating in a deficit along side adequate protein, the deficit should be less than 2 pounds a week or you are treading waters to the degree of losing muscle if not lifting weights and doing the protein.

Cardio is never needed to lose weight..it can help, but you need a calorie deficit.
  • EssexMFP
    Yes, you can, but I agree that 2 lbs per week may be a bit aggressive. I would aim for 1 lb per week until about 15-20 lbs from overall goal, then maybe 1/2 lb per week. It's a lot harder to get to a deficit with only food near your goal weight. As you lose weight, your body needs less calories as it is. To lose 1 lb per week, you need to cut 3,500 calories per week, or 500 calories per day from your TDEE (maintenance calories). To lose 2 lbs per week, you're looking a 1,000 calories per day deficit.

I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. I feel like it would be hard to eat anymore unless I'm eating junk food.
  • EnvisionGains
    EnvisionGains Posts: 4 Member
    Yes no problem!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I would continue to do the dumbbells for the strength training benefits, but not expect it to add significantly to your calorie deficit.

Sorry your bike is broken :( What about walking or running? I love to walk! Glad the weather is finally cooler. Went on a great hike yesterday.

However, like others have said, two pounds a week is too aggressive a deficit for the amount you have to lose. Do drop down to a goal of a pound per week for now.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016

I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. I feel like it would be hard to eat anymore unless I'm eating junk food.

I am sorry but you are doing this all wrong.

You are male right? This is a big no no on the 1200 calories. Min is 1500 calories for male. You are doing your muscles and your entire body a disservice by not taking care to lose weight healthy..

And if you need to eat 300 more calories to get to 1500, yes eat something calorie dense, like ice cream, peanut butter, etc..

Unless you are very very short guy, MFP should not have given you 1200 calories.. if it did the system has a bug in it and you should report it to Tech Support.

• EssexMFP

23 year old male on 1200 calories? No no no no no no no. No. Eat more. I am ravenous on 1200 calories (which is why I don't and won't eat that little). You're either eyeballing and eating more than you think or have eliminated too many fats and calorie dense foods. Add them back in. And food is food, even "junk" food has essential macros and micros.

I understand but at present I make sedentary look active. I don't really do much other than lift weights 3 times a week. The other days I work on my core and abs. Does it matter if my caloric intake is low if for example I consume 120g of protein daily? Will I still loose muscle.
  • RoxieDawn

23 year old male on 1200 calories? No no no no no no no. No. Eat more. I am ravenous on 1200 calories (which is why I don't and won't eat that little). You're either eyeballing and eating more than you think or have eliminated too many fats and calorie dense foods. Add them back in. And food is food, even "junk" food has essential macros and micros.

I understand but at present I make sedentary look active. I don't really do much other than lift weights 3 times a week. The other days I work on my core and abs. Does it matter if my caloric intake is low if for example I consume 120g of protein daily? Will I still loose muscle.

Yes you will still lose muscle.
  • EssexMFP
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You are male right? This is a big no no on the 1200 calories. Min is 1500 calories for male. You are doing your muscles and your entire body a disservice by not taking care to lose weight healthy..

And if you need to eat 300 more calories to get to 1500, yes eat something calorie dense, like ice cream, peanut butter, etc..

Unless you are very very short guy, MFP should not have given you 1200 calories.. if it did the system has a bug in it and you should report it to Tech Support.

When I signed up to MFP it did actually say 1200. I'm 5'10. So average height.
  • VintageFeline

I am just as sedentary, I am 5'5, 34 and female. i rarely eat under 1500 calories per day gross. Net about 13-1400 and I eat my exercise calories. Do I lose slowly at this point? Yes but I still lose and my body is healthy, nourished and my muscle loss is minimal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Do double check your settings when you change your weekly weight loss goal to a pound. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

I'm decades older than you, four inches shorter, female, and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2016

When i signed up here it gave 1200 cals too. I had a bad back so no excersise and i didn't use the forum til 2-3 months in. I stuck to the 1200, but crashed after a week or 2. It's just not enough to keep you going. I then set my activity to lightly active to get my cals up to 1530. And that's how it stayed.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    1) Yes, it's possible to lose weight without cardio. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight.

2) There are lots of ways to get cardio in even in a small space if you really need it to create that deficit. Even walking in place while you watch TV...with the dumbbells if you want! Or look around for free workout videos online. But if you have wide range of dumbbells, you could start a strength training routine, focusing on lifting progressively heavier weights.

3) I will echo above posters in saying 2lbs/week is too much for you. This is creating an average 1000cal/day deficit, which is difficult to maintain. If you're just starting out, you might see this much come off, but long term it's recommended not to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week. I'm a female 5'-7" looking to lose about 60lbs more, but even I eat ~1600 cals/day, losing about 1lb a week.

It looks like you just joined (welcome!) so I'm not sure if you've looked around the boards at all. Take some time to read the stickied threads here in the Weight Loss section, and spend some time looking over success stories. There are so many people that post here who have successfully lost weight and kept it off. Take their advice, and create a plan that's comfortable for you to reach your weight goal range!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Its possible, but it would probably be easier with exercise. That said 2 pounds a week with only 37 to lose is a bit aggressive.