Can you seriously lose weight without cardio?

Options

Replies

• EssexMFP
    EssexMFP Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the above advice. I will up my intake to 1500. I do struggle to eat 1500 if I'm primarily healthy foods though. It's a lot easier if I eat foods considered junk food. But I was told to eat clean on a bodybuilding forum. I'm not sure if I could have the patience of only losing 1lbs a week. I'm a very impatient person.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    EssexMFP wrote: »
    Yes, you can, but I agree that 2 lbs per week may be a bit aggressive. I would aim for 1 lb per week until about 15-20 lbs from overall goal, then maybe 1/2 lb per week. It's a lot harder to get to a deficit with only food near your goal weight. As you lose weight, your body needs less calories as it is. To lose 1 lb per week, you need to cut 3,500 calories per week, or 500 calories per day from your TDEE (maintenance calories). To lose 2 lbs per week, you're looking a 1,000 calories per day deficit.

I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. I feel like it would be hard to eat anymore unless I'm eating junk food.

23 year old male on 1200 calories? No no no no no no no. No. Eat more. I am ravenous on 1200 calories (which is why I don't and won't eat that little). You're either eyeballing and eating more than you think or have eliminated too many fats and calorie dense foods. Add them back in. And food is food, even "junk" food has essential macros and micros.

I understand but at present I make sedentary look active. I don't really do much other than lift weights 3 times a week. The other days I work on my core and abs. Does it matter if my caloric intake is low if for example I consume 120g of protein daily? Will I still loose muscle.

I am just as sedentary, I am 5'5, 34 and female. i rarely eat under 1500 calories per day gross. Net about 13-1400 and I eat my exercise calories. Do I lose slowly at this point? Yes but I still lose and my body is healthy, nourished and my muscle loss is minimal.

This^^^

Either you'll eat 1200 calories for a short time, get burnt out and give up, or you're not tracking accurately and eating more than you think.

How do you measure your intake?

29f here, 5'4". I'm losing weight with 1400-2000 calories per day depending on my activity.
  • EssexMFP
    Options
    Yes, you can, but I agree that 2 lbs per week may be a bit aggressive. I would aim for 1 lb per week until about 15-20 lbs from overall goal, then maybe 1/2 lb per week. It's a lot harder to get to a deficit with only food near your goal weight. As you lose weight, your body needs less calories as it is. To lose 1 lb per week, you need to cut 3,500 calories per week, or 500 calories per day from your TDEE (maintenance calories). To lose 2 lbs per week, you're looking a 1,000 calories per day deficit.

I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. I feel like it would be hard to eat anymore unless I'm eating junk food.

23 year old male on 1200 calories? No no no no no no no. No. Eat more. I am ravenous on 1200 calories (which is why I don't and won't eat that little). You're either eyeballing and eating more than you think or have eliminated too many fats and calorie dense foods. Add them back in. And food is food, even "junk" food has essential macros and micros.

I understand but at present I make sedentary look active. I don't really do much other than lift weights 3 times a week. The other days I work on my core and abs. Does it matter if my caloric intake is low if for example I consume 120g of protein daily? Will I still loose muscle.

I am just as sedentary, I am 5'5, 34 and female. i rarely eat under 1500 calories per day gross. Net about 13-1400 and I eat my exercise calories. Do I lose slowly at this point? Yes but I still lose and my body is healthy, nourished and my muscle loss is minimal.

This^^^

Either you'll eat 1200 calories for a short time, get burnt out a deposit give up, or you're not tracking accurately and eating more than you think.

29f here, 5'4". I'm losing weight with 1400-2000 calories per day depending on my activity.

Is there a way to show my food diary to this thread?

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Are you not able to do something about being so sedentary?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This^^^

Either you'll eat 1200 calories for a short time, get burnt out a deposit give up, or you're not tracking accurately and eating more than you think.

Go into settings>diary settings and switch your diary to public.
  • EssexMFP
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

Well I have agoraphobia so going outside and being active is difficult.
  • EssexMFP
    Options

This^^^

Go into settings>diary settings and switch your diary to public.

Okay thanks. I've opened my diary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

This^^^

Change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ouryve
    Options
    Thanks for the above advice. I will up my intake to 1500. I do struggle to eat 1500 if I'm primarily healthy foods though. It's a lot easier if I eat foods considered junk food. But I was told to eat clean on a bodybuilding forum. I'm not sure if I could have the patience of only losing 1lbs a week. I'm a very impatient person.

Even so called "clean" eating can include plenty of good fats - avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil, cold pressed rapeseed oil etc. If you're leaving these out, add them in. You can easily add most of the extra calories you need, plus a whole load of micronutrients, with a handful of nuts!

At a guess, you're relying a lot on chicken breast and egg whites for protein. Vary the meat, if that's the case. Chicken thigh is far tastier than breast, though slightly more calorific, but is also slightly richer in iron (so long as the chicken ever used its legs to stand on). Sod bland egg whites - eat the whole delicious, nutritious egg.

And 1lb per weeks is a lovely rate to lose at. You don't feel deprived and the guilt is less when your calorie goal doesn't work for you on a particular day. it is fast enough to notice a difference, month on month, but not so fast you feel cold all the time. Your skin keeps up with your changing shape better and you have a lot more energy in reserve to get off your backside, if possible and do something about not being sedentary! (honestly, if you can get out and walk, even for 20 minutes, do it!)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

This is also me. I bought a mini stepper for about £35 to increase my activity and get a few extra calories.

As for "eating clean" it's not necessary and a bit arbitrary. Something as simple as cooking with oil or seasoning veg with butter will throw in some much needed fats and calories. Fat is essential to hormone function so don't be afraid of it. What you eat matters not a jot for weight loss so as long as you get a wide and varied diet with lots of protein and veg then eat something tasty that scratches the psychological itch.

And get over your impatience. I'm pretty sure you don't want to obliterate muscle along with fat? And that's all you'll do cutting so aggressively. There are a few regulars that are examples of this and correcting it after the fact is a lot harder than just going a bit slower in the first place.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine lost over a hundred pounds........................................and she's wheelchair bound.

Yes, it's possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

It's perfectly okay to incorporate so called 'junk food' into your way of eating. Eating those foods does not cause weight gain. Eating too many calories does.
  • EssexMFP
    Options
    Okay so how many calories do I need to consume to lose 1 to 1.5lbs a week? MFP have me 1200 so I don't know where to go from here.
  • ouryve
    Options

And apologies - this has only just shown up for me.

If you have stairs, make every excuse to get up and down them! Find an at home exercise routine designed to make you feel rather tired and out of breath. They tend to be aimed at women but every little helps!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Ignore the broscience. Eat the calories to reach your goal to lose weight at a safe and consistant manner. You don't need to avoid "junk food" you should just eat enough low calorie "healthy" food to feel satisfied at your lower intake.

Losing weight doesn't have to be about eating chicken and brown rice and broccoli every day. I'm losing weight at a steady 1 pound a week. I've dieted before also lost weight at a steady rate. Look at my diary (its open) and you can see you don't have to eat perfectly clean to lose weight.
  • ouryve
    Options
    Okay so how many calories do I need to consume to lose 1 to 1.5lbs a week? MFP have me 1200 so I don't know where to go from here.

If you put your numbers and goal into MFP, what did it give you? As a stone overweight lightly active 5'4 middle aged female seeking to lose 1lb per week, it gave me just shy of 1400kcal per day. Similar aged, similarly overweight and fairly sedentary 5'10 husband was given 1600 for the same rate of loss.
  • EssexMFP
    Options

If you put your numbers and goal into MFP, what did it give you? As a stone overweight lightly active 5'4 middle aged female seeking to lose 1lb per week, it gave me just shy of 1400kcal per day. Similar aged, similarly overweight and fairly sedentary 5'10 husband was given 1600 for the same rate of loss.

It gave me 1200. Is there a way to make MFP reconsider my goals?
  • EssexMFP
    Options
    Is 1500 to 1600 sufficient enough for me? Given that I only lift weights and do body weight exercises.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Is 1500 to 1600 sufficient enough for me? Given that I only lift weights and do body weight exercises.

Go back and input your goals again. It is likely you can eat more than 1600.
  • ouryve
    Options
    You need to record any exercise you do in the same way as you log meals, then eat back at least half of the calories burnt, so even with weights and bodyweight exercises, you should get some extra, even if it's not a lot.

It's all more than 1200, though!