Trying to stop smoking again.

Options
3 weeks ago I quit for 53 hours until i gave in. Now, I'm going to give it another shot and aim for passing that and much more.

Replies

• RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I quit about 9 months ago and am SO HAPPY I dont chain smoke anymore. What will you be doing differently this time?
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time....I used to smoke! It''s so funny to think about it now really. I never would have thought then that one day I would love to run so much! You can do it! Don't give up, it's a battle but everything good is always a battle...Quit for good this time!!! :))
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    how long did you smoke before you quit? I cant see myself being able to run.
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    Try harder and try to do activities to stay occupied more.
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    think this u be glad u did. believe me i should first hand on stomach. my real dad health is decay fast due cigs. he did have partial lung left but now it going bad. he battle lung cancer but that went remission. now he has bone cancer. the rest of his lungs are gone. i almost lost him last year due his smoking. maybe this will encourage to stop for good.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am gong to try as well.... I am still smoking today..... but here is a site a dear MFP friend shared with me that has me motivated to pick a date VERY soon and do it cold turkey.

It is different than most of the scare tactic sites I have found....LOTS of information here and worth the time to really look at all this site has on the subject.

www.whyquit.com

The first 3 days are the hardest physically. I am picking Tuesday as my first day of no smoking.

YOU CAN DO IT.... and so can I :)
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    Has anyone smoked 1-2 packs a day for 20+ years and quit and found the ability to run again?
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    to those of you who have quit, what real benefits do you see?? and those of you who do smoke? what real drawbacks?? (besides the obvious health long term effects))

I jsut started smoking in October of this year,,, just wondering some of those things... what benefits of quitting are there??
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    to those of you who have quit, what real benefits do you see?? and those of you who do smoke? what real drawbacks?? (besides the obvious health long term effects))

I jsut started smoking in October of this year,,, just wondering some of those things... what benefits of quitting are there??

Why on earth would you start smoking? I smoked for 37 years and was up to over 1 1/2 packs a day. I love hiking in the mountains and hunting. I had to choose between the two. Breathe or smoke. I watch people around me struggle to breathe with oxygen. I quit 4 years ago and I have never regretted it. I regret that I did not do it sooner
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    i wish i would have never started.
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just take it one craving at a time!

I smoked over a pack a day for about 21 years and just quit cold turkey about six weeks ago. I have previously tried many other quitting methods, such as Nicorette, Chantix, etc. So far, this seems to be working best, although, just like with my food, I may have cheated once or twice :embarassed:

I don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone else who's commenting that has successfully quit could answer something for me, I would really appreciate it: Do you ever stop wanting a cigarette? I'm staying strong, for the most part, but I would love to think that someday soon the day will come when someone else's cigarette doesn't smell like heaven and that the whole idea of smoking just repulses me! It's very hard to face the possibility that I may have to go for the rest of my life desiring something so strongly that I can never have again! Tell me it gets easier, please!!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 30 years until I quit on January 2nd, hopefully for the last time. This is *the one* for me as far as quitting. And I ran before I quit, and in fact I ran a half marathon 2.5 years ago in Philadelphia as a smoker. I run still, but not as much as I did when I smoked, mostly because the weight I gained after I quit smoking in January has made it harder to run.

You have to be ready to quit. You can't let anyone else bully you into it, try to scare you into it. It is only when you are truly ready that it will work. I have a 6 year old son and I quit when I was pregnant with him, until he was a couple of months old; then I quit another time when he was young; and now I have hopefully quit for good. It was for me so I can watch my son grow up. I want to be with him as long as possible. Good luck to you, and let me tell you, you CAN do it. I always doubt myself but it can totally be done.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I quit 20 years ago after smoking for about ten years. I smoked two packs a day! I quit cold turkey, and it took me a long time to feel like a non smoker... at least a year or more. I had to avoid coffee and drinking. For six months after I quit, I would get into the car and push in the lighter - without even thinking. I gained 20 pounds during the first 6 months, but lost it within a year. Now its like I never smoked. I hate the smell of smoke.

The only remaining evidence that I smoked is a diagnosis of COPD about five years ago. (I went in for a lung scan after Superman's wife died of lung cancer -- she never smoked.) I'm very healthy and have no symptoms of COPD. My doctor says that I have a very mild case, but I am afraid that someday, my breathing may be impacted.

My advice to all smokers is to quit now and do whatever you can to stay quit. Smoking is an expensive, dirty habit, and it could have a lasting impact on your health if you continue. Good luck!!
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    3 more cigarettes until im done with this pack.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Don't buy another pack!
  • peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    I've been smoking for about five years. I quit two weeks ago and did great until I was with my friends and then I smoked three. My husband and most of my friends smoke, so it all comes down to willpower when I am with them. I just take it one day at a time. If I can resist a chocolate cake, I can resist nicotine. If I can resist McDonald's, I can resist nicotine. If I can resist breadsticks, I can resist nicotine. If I want to push my body to run faster and longer, I can resist nicotine. You can do it!