I don't get it?

Options
Baddogbeanie
Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I am active and I am careful what I eat and drink yet I still have to work hard to maintain a decent weight. Something is wrong with this picture, did the cavemen/women of yesteryear have to work out, were they fat, WTF is there something wrong with the food we eat, are our genetics changing, being healthy shouldnt be hard, being unhealthy should be! SMH, ~ End of rant.

Replies

• dcoyle4040
    dcoyle4040 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Loosing the weight by just eating healthy and exercise is hard. Maintaining with heathy diet and exercise is easy. Using this app will teach you that. If your trying to loose weight it's going to feel like your starving yourself. Because technically you are. You consume minimal calories so that your body has to consume reserves. Once you reach your target weight the app adjusts and you get to eat more again.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked by your Dr? You might have a condition of some sort preventing weight loss. Or maybe you're not logging properly? I kind of believe our bodies have a weight they Are happy at...maybe you're there
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Our portion sizes today are nothing like the portion sizes our ancestors used to eat, especially here in the states. Most countries outside of the US are amazed at how much food we fit on a plate for each meal. Our ancestors were lucky to get 2 meals a day and spent a vast majority of their time either hunting down something to eat, growing something to eat or picking something to eat from a bush or tree. All of these activities expend calories that are barely replaced with the food they managed to find. It's much easier to maintain, sometimes even difficult to maintain, if you're in a line of work that requires a lot of physical labor, something most of us don't have to do anymore on a daily basis. We work less and eat more. It's simple math.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked.
    Be honest in your logging.
    If your not logging you're likely eating more calories than you realize.

Since I started using this app I dropped 6 lbs without even trying just by changing my diet up some and drinking more water. Most would say 6Lbs and you been doing this 2 months thats not THAT great but when you started at 166 id say its significant from a percentage view.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day smaller portions, go get your blood work checked. How old are you about 40 to 50 years old. ? Have your T levels checked. That has a big part to do with why guys find it harder to loose weight between this age group. Then your thyroid could have something to do with it too. IF all that checks out, just have to cut your calories back, to below maintenance, doesn't matter what you eat, So long as your not eating fats and carbs together. You can do Fats and protein, or carbs and protein. Fats and Carbs are both energy sources, If you burn enough its ok, but most folds eat to much energy food, that converts to fat on the body for use at a later time. If you need help add me, I may be able to help you.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    "... According to Sahlins, ethnographic data indicated that hunter-gatherers worked far fewer hours and enjoyed more leisure than typical members of industrial society, and they still ate well. ... Sackett found that adults in foraging and horticultural societies work, on average, about 6.5 hours a day, where as people in agricultural and industrial societies work on average 8.8 hours a day.

Recent research also indicates that the life-expectancy of hunter-gatherers is surprisingly high..."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter-gatherer#Common_characteristics

Regarding obesity, check out the Venus statues from 25,000+ years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf

At least some of our "cave man" ancestors were plump. :)
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people eat too much. Even if it's the best, healthiest food in the world, too much of it will make you fat. I was personally gob-smacked by how much it turns out I was over-eating and husband has dropped close to 20lbs since I started weighing my food. Jerk doesn't even log or exercise, unlike me busting my *kitten* in the gym and the pool every day, he's just eating smaller portions because I am. I think (food) scale shock is fairly common among beginners here.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people eat too much. Even if it's the best, healthiest food in the world, too much of it will make you fat. I was personally gob-smacked by how much it turns out I was over-eating and husband has dropped close to 20lbs since I started weighing my food. Jerk doesn't even log or exercise, unlike me busting my *kitten* in the gym and the pool every day, he's just eating smaller portions because I am. I think (food) scale shock is fairly common among beginners here.

I'm not surprised. Weight loss is done in the kitchen, fitness is done at the gym. Simple rule for everyone to remember.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    dcoyle4040 wrote: »
    Loosing the weight by just eating healthy and exercise is hard. Maintaining with heathy diet and exercise is easy. Using this app will teach you that. If your trying to loose weight it's going to feel like your starving yourself. Because technically you are. You consume minimal calories so that your body has to consume reserves. Once you reach your target weight the app adjusts and you get to eat more again.

LOSE****
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    Its not a difficult thing to lose weight if you want to.

It's not easy either. Maybe it's not difficult for YOU but ask the dude that lost over 150 pounds how easy it was. Sure if you want it that bad, you can essentially do anything but it is NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. It might be simple but not easy. That being said, anything worth having is worth the effort, no matter how difficult.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    there is something seriously wrong with this planet in general not just the food supply

• Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    there is something seriously wrong with this planet in general not just the food supply
    Hmmm, I think the planet is ok, it's the people that are whacked!!!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

It's not easy either. Maybe it's not difficult for YOU but ask the dude that lost over 150 pounds how easy it was. Sure if you want it that bad, you can essentially do anything but it is NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. It might be simple but not easy. That being said, anything worth having is worth the effort, no matter how difficult.

That is the most jumbled up writing I've seen in a long time.

I did lose over 150lbs yes.

It's easy really when it comes to the physicality part and the decreasing of food if you want it, however, mentally it's not.

Jumble Jumble.

Haha...Jumble this *insert universal gesture* :D

Kudos to you on losing the weight. I'm glad it was so easy for you. It's not easy for everyone and that doesn't mean they don't "want to" as you implied.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options

Bullsh*t
    IMHO

I believe
    Being overweight is hard.
    Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining your goal weight is hard too.

Chose the one hard thing you want to deal with the rest of your life.

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

Bullsh*t
    IMHO

I believe
    Being overweight is hard.
    Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining your goal weight is hard too.

Chose the one hard thing you want to deal with the rest of your life.

I have a friend with medical issues that impede her weight loss. I wish she'd deal with them and then she'd be ok.

I am weird and can drop weight really easily but I am not the norm. losing weight is really hard. it's not just physiological it's also psycho0logical.

**I've been porch drinking with my neighbour so I might not be making sense
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Weight loss begins in the kitchen.
    You can not exercise out of a poof diet.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think the planet is ok, it's the people that are whacked!!!

youre right the planet knows what she is doing its the parasites that infest this place that need to go
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how quickly people are to jump on the medical route to answer this question. Yes, it is possible but it is rare.

The mechanics of losing weight are simple - eat less and move more. Actually doing it can be so hard! Lots of prepared foods are loaded against you, and the supermarkets exploit this by tempting you. And then there is social pressure to distract you from your goal.

The true comment should be:

Why are you finding it so hard??? Constantly hungry?? Can't resist that donut?? Embarrassed to go tithe gym?? Just hit a plateau that you can't break through??

With the answer, it might be possible to offer some constructive support.

So, OP, why are you finding things so hard??
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The foods we eat today are nothing at all like what existed in caveman times. The animals are bred to have more meat and fat. Fruits and vegetables are much larger, have a lot less fiber, and a lot more natural sugars. Grains had a lot more fiber and had to be painstakingly processed by hand to be eaten.