I'm definitely broken - can't lose! Any advice from my diary?

Options
2»

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    ellersrb wrote: »
    Sorry, I've opened it now.

tiny_clanger I have had one child, periods are very regular on a fairly short cycle (22-23 days) but haven't tried for another one (and won't be!).
    I often wonder about starting the menopause or whether, as I get older, I just need to make myself more active.

I used to cheat myself when logging food on mfp so if I got up to 1200 cals for the day and then ate, for example, a pack of crisps in front of the tv at night, I knew it would put me in minus figures and didn't log it. Which obviously does nothing but lie to myself so I don't do that anymore :smile:

Thanks for the responses - I wouldn't worry about menopause yet either, but it is something to bear in mind, and long term, you're doing a good thing by working on losing weight now as that will stand you in good stead as your body does start to change.

I really, really would recommend getting more active. Losing weight through calorie restriction alone is very difficult for women and isn't usually sustainable. Half an hour a day doing something which raises your heart rate and gets you breathing more quickly (is the walking doing that?) is a great starting point
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    My exercise is terrible as I only liked running but I have stopped as it hurts my back (getting physio). I've started walking further and making it part of my day wherever I can.
    I really, really would recommend getting more active. Losing weight through calorie restriction alone is very difficult for women and isn't usually sustainable. Half an hour a day doing something which raises your heart rate and gets you breathing more quickly (is the walking doing that?) is a great starting point

I agree.

Getting more active in general ... getting up and walking, standing, taking the stairs now and then, and all that ... is good. But taking a bit of time to actually exercise can be very helpful too.

I try to be as active as possible throughout the day, but in the evenings, my husband and I will often go for a walk to the beach and back or go for a bicycle ride or go to the gym or something. And on weekends we try to be quite active ... mostly cycling. I found the exercise really helped me.

• ellersrb
    ellersrb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My logging is as accurate as I can possibly make it - the quarter baguette, 2 cupcakes, 2 burgers, spring rolls etc were all taken from the actual packaging and then worked out exactly what I ate from that pack. If the label on the food is wrong, there isn't much anyone can do is there?!
    The recipes, yes, they are my own and are weighed, logged and then split in to portions.
    I try to make it accurate within the boundaries of the tools I have. I don't eat clean and have raw ingredients all the time, in fact, rarely, but when I do I log it all individually.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    still have to weigh packaged food per the weight portion on the side. it differs from the volume portion
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My logging is as accurate as I can possibly make it - the quarter baguette, 2 cupcakes, 2 burgers, spring rolls etc were all taken from the actual packaging and then worked out exactly what I ate from that pack. If the label on the food is wrong, there isn't much anyone can do is there?!
    The recipes, yes, they are my own and are weighed, logged and then split in to portions.
    I try to make it accurate within the boundaries of the tools I have. I don't eat clean and have raw ingredients all the time, in fact, rarely, but when I do I log it all individually.

Its not that the label on the food is wrong, its that the food itself you get out of the package will weight more or less than what you are consuming. You need to weigh what you take out of the package.

For example because I actually count macros and calories, my yogurt cups can be lower .. meaning they jipped on what was in the package.. However, spring rolls, biscuits, burgers etc.. can weigh more (and usually do) than the serving on the package.

When you get closer to goal, this kind of stuff gets even more important. Just keep that in mind..

edited to add: The title of your thread is "I'm definitely broken - can't lose!" and beacause you are having issues with losing weight, and the logging in the diary is def not on point, if you want to get accuracy in what you are doing, the ideas presented about your diary are things you need to do to see if logging is your reason for not losing.. Good Luck.. :)