Running in High Humidity

Options
Question for the runners – Do any of you find that you run faster in higher humidity? Every time I run in intense humidity, I feel like I’m dragging the whole time, yet my times are markedly faster than when the weather’s nice. I’m not complaining about the speed, but curious as to why this might be.

Replies

• mamato2babes
    Options
    Not me! I HATE running in high humidity. Hard to breathe and hard to get those feet moving.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not me! I HATE running in high humidity. Hard to breathe and hard to get those feet moving.

Agree! Hate it!
  • Pinocchio1977
    Pinocchio1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whew not me, I won't run in high humidity - also have trouble breathing and feel as though my legs have concrete in the shoes. Not to mention the tightening/cramping of muscles - just a bad all around experience. Maybe you want to get done so much faster to get out of the humidity you are running faster!
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Maybe you're just trying to run away from the sticky feeling, so you increase your pace without realizing =) I personally hate humidity. Love that Vegas dry heat.....
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Definitely not me. I am slower in muggy weather, like the one we have here in GA.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and I dispise running outside in the summer. I feel like I am dragging my body. I won't even do any 5ks until the weather gets cooler. But I may be a wimp too.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Definitely not me. I am slower in muggy weather, like the one we have here in GA.

Oh man, GA weather's horrible. I was there for two weeks last summer and quite literally thought I was going to die. I'll take the NYC heat any day over that.
    Ditto the concrete in feet when running in high humidity. I feel like I'm dragging the entire way and am 10 times more tired at the end than I usually am. Definitely not going faster lol.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can't stand running in humidity. I'd rather run in 20 degree weather. I always run slower when it's humid out. It's like running against a wall!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Its worse for me and Im very slow and sluggish! Since I live in Louisiana, thats about 90% of the time! I love the late fall...best time for running outdoors!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with all of you, I HATE how it feels to run in humidity. I feel like I'm not going anywhere, like I'm trying to run through a swimming pool, yet my times end up being faster. Lol, maybe you're right, maybe my body's just trying to get it over with. :sad:
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and I despise running outside in the summer. I feel like I am dragging my body. I won't even do any 5ks until the weather gets cooler. But I may be a wimp too.

I run much better on a treadmill in the air conditioner. I told you I'm a wimp.
  • mbag97
    mbag97 Posts: 5
    Options
    The humidity is the worst! I prefer running in 15 degree weather any day!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I live in Hawaii and as soon as the humidity comes out in full force, it zaps my running energy, slows my pace, and just plain wears me out. I run much better before the heat and humidity of the day makes it's appearance which is why I usually run before 6am.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Every day is high humidity .... I live in the south. Can't really tell a difference. Only run better when cloudy or light rain.... refreshing.
  • amzany
    amzany Posts: 1
    Options
    I live near New Orleans and just am really having a hard time starting any kind of activity. Outside of going in the pool nothing appeals to me right now.
  • ezrunnerp
    ezrunnerp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio and we have pretty humid summers and some pretty cold winters. I find that humidity can be a killer. I often have to adjust my run and go slower with some walking breaks to deal with it. I figure, though that all of this will make me stronger with the cooler fall temps. (That's my theory anyway)
  • yinxuehui1983
    yinxuehui1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just had the pleasure of the experience today! I just broke my PR of 2 miles nonstop but today I could only do 1.5 mile. I think there's less oxygen in the air when humidity is high (just a guess) but I was dragging today and from the start I could already tell I was having a harder time getting oxygen compared to days with no/low humidity. Good news is that we do sweat more if that's what you're after. I live in VA and this summer has been the wettest summer on record (and humid too).