Nighttime Runners... where are you???

Options
2»

Replies

• TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    The other plus about night time running, you can get into an impromptu brawl and utilize any mma skills you may have acquired if you were doing p90x or something :D

(this post is satirical and not meant to be taken seriously)

Honestly would love to try nighttime running though only time I'd ever do running outside cause I hate the thought of people seeing me workout.
  • ridgellmomof3
    ridgellmomof3 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I run at night because of kids and work. I love it! The humidity is less and my endurance seems better, plus I get to let of some steam before bed and I sleep better. Plus after a run I don't have the urge to get the munchies before bed. I run on the streets so the street lights keep my run well lit
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I usually run at 530am (gotta sneak out before the kids wake up). In the dead of winter when its pitch black I do my run at the gym.
    I only run at night when my husband will run with me. We try to get in a 10mile run sat or sun nights.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I run at night in the winter all the time. I wear one of those dorky reflective vests to make sure the cars can see me. Better to be safe than sorry so they say. I actually really like running at night its so quiet and peaceful. I live in a really safe small town though. we never lock our homes or cars til we go to bed.

actually i dont lock my car when i go to bed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I ran at night this past winter. With short days, I had no choice. I wear a headlamp, a reflective vest & some other eflective gear. I run on roads that get a lot of traffic so I need to make myself visable.
    During the summer I'd be running way too late & be up all night if I waited to run in the dark.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    M-F I always run when it's dark. My alarm usually goes off at 3am and I'm off. I now live in a suburb, so I find I don't need a light. Even when it's cloudy and very dark. The pavement is relatively smooth. When I lived in the country, I lived on a dirt road. I had to run with a light because of large rocks, holes, etc. And of course and trail runs at night require a good light. On the road I always wear the big reflective vest and a flashing light. I should light up like a Christmas tree when lights hit me! That's a good thing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    People run in the daylight? I do 90% of my running in the dark. Mostly morning. I live on the edge of a small town and run on dirt roads outside of town. While there is little traffic it only takes one driver to ruin your training. I wear one of those yellow reflective road guard vests. For the longest time I would go without a headlamp or flashlight. Beleive me, your eyes will adjust to the darkness where you can see what you need to see. The only problem I've had is a patch in the road turned out to be a skunk one time.

However, I signed up for a night trail 10K that requires a headlamp. I bought a cheap $12 lamp and have been running with it trying to figure out what works best before race time. The race starts at 830, which it could very well be in the upper 90's low 100's at race time the way this summer is going. After this week I will move my running to race time to get used to working a full day and then running in warmer temps.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    During summer I prefer to run at night since it's cooler. I wear reflective gear and I'm usually at my local park which is lit up...I do take my mace with me. If I run in the neighborhood I take one of my dogs. If I trail run at night....I take a head lamp if I need it. I love nights when it's a full moon....there is something blissful about running in the still of the night when all you can hear are the crickets.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dont generally run at night but I definitely prefer it. My running gear all has reflective material on it. I do wear a headlamp and Its incredibly calming and soothing to run in the pitch dark stillness of the night